[comp.sys.apple] Launching GSOS from ProDOS 8

IRPGMR7@OUACCVMB.BITNET (09/08/89)

To run GS/OS from a ProDOS 8 boot-up, just change the prefix to the
prefix of the GS/OS disk and execute the ProDOS file in the Root
directory.

You can even set up a single disk with both systems on it...

/My.Sys              (Root Directory)
   ProDOS            (P8  -  In my case P8 1.8)
   Basic.System      (Or any other .System file)
   Startup           (A small startup program in Basic)
   GSOS              (ProDOS - the one found on the GSOS Disk)
   /System           (GSOS System folder w/contents)
   /Icons            (GSOS Icons folder w/contents)
   Basic.Launcher    (GSOS Basic.Launcher)
   /AppleTalk        (GSOS AppleTalk folder w/contents)

10 REM *
20 REM * Startup 1.0 -- Written by David William Wrage
30 REM *
40 HOME
50 PRINT "Please select from the following:"
60 PRINT
70 PRINT "1  -  GSOS 5.0"
80 PRINT "2  -  ProDOS 1.8 System"
90 PRINT "3  -  Applesoft Basic"
100 GET A$
110 IF A$ = "1" THEN PRINT CHR$(4)"-GSOS"
120 IF A$ = "2" THEN PRINT CHR$(4)"BYE"
130 IF A$ <> "3" THEN GOTO 100
140 END

Of course this is a very crude but effective way of creating a startup
that contains both systems including AppleSoft Basic.

Hope this helps.....

David William Wrage  a.k.a.  The Frenchman
 -'I don't have a nifty saying yet, but I'll think of one.....'

US Mail:                          Userid:
  134 East Beechwood Estates        IRPGMR7@OUACCVMB.BITNET
  Athens, Ohio  45701  (USA)           (Ohio University)

 + - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +

 'If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then
     the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.'
                                             - Gerald Weinberg

Les_Ferch@MTSG.UBC.CA (10/23/89)

I want to have my hard drive equipped GS boot into ProDOS 8 and run
a simple program selector (I'm using Bird's Better Bye), but I want
to be able to launch GSOS easily on demand.  I installed GSOS 5.0
and it works fine if I boot straight into it, but if I rename ProDOS
to GSOS and then put ProDOS 8 on the drive and boot that way, it
doesn't work when I select GSOS from the selector.  GSOS starts
approach worked fine with the old ProDOS 16.

Is anybody out there succesfully booting into ProDOS 8 and then
running GSOS from a selector?

rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com (Russel Michel) (10/24/89)

Network Comment: to #5743 by Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca

>From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca (Unknown User)
>Subject: Launching GSOS from ProDOS 8

>  I want to have my hard drive equipped GS boot into ProDOS 8 and run a
simple
>program selector (I'm using Bird's Better Bye), but I want to be able to
>launch GSOS easily on demand.  I installed GSOS 5.0 and it works fine if I
>boot straight into it, but if I rename ProDOS to GSOS and then put ProDOS 8
on
>the drive and boot that way, it doesn't work when I select GSOS from the
>selector.  GSOS starts loading and gets to the desktop where it beeps and
then
>hangs.  This approach worked fine with the old ProDOS 16.
>  Is anybody out there succesfully booting into ProDOS 8 and then running
GSOS
>from a selector?

Try renaming ProDOS to something other than "GSOS".  I use a setup similar to
ys:  P8 renamed to ProDOS placed in the root directory of my hard disk along
with BASIC.SYSTEM and a short Applesoft STARTUP file.  ProDOS from System Disk
5.0 is now called GSOS.GO.  The BASIC program simply gives three options: QUIT
to BBB, exit to BASIC, or run GSOS.  It's quick & dirty, but allows me to boot
off my hard disk and go straight into a ProDOS 8 application via Bird's Better
Bye, and still have GSOS readily available.  It works quite well.  I think
your
problem stems from the fact that there is a file in /SYSTEM.DISK/SYSTEM called
"GSOS" and (I think) you're confusing the system software by having two files
called "GSOS" even though they are in different directories.  Hope this solves
your woes!
                                                Russ

==--------------------------------------------------------------------------==
==  The above is given freely, so keep in mind the words of Lazarus Long:   ==
==               "Anything free is worth what you pay for it"               ==
==                                                                          ==
==    All conceivable disclaimers apply, because I cannot guarantee that    ==
==          anything I right is write. (See what I mean?!?!)                ==
==                                                                          ==
==            America Online: RusselM   GEnie: R.Michel2                    ==

==--------------------------------------------------------------------------==

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rmichel
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rmichel@nosc.mil
INET: rmichel@pro-grouch.cts.com

dkl@pro-europa.cts.com (David Leikam) (10/24/89)

Comment to message from: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca (Unknown User)

   Yep, I am.  I use Prosel for both OS's, booting into Prosel-8, with GSOS
5.0 as a menu option. This takes me into Prosel 16, where ANOTHER menu option
will let me start the Finder.

  I renamed Prodos(16) to Prodos.16. Merely invoking it from Prosel 8 works
just fine.  I suspect you may be having a different problem, as the name of
the file really shouldn't matter much.  If I were you, I'd try changing things
around on your harder to boot it into GSOS, and get that working ok, THEN add
Prodos 8 and your selector.  (If I'm right, when you take Prodos 8 off or
rename it, and rename your GSOS file back to ProDos, you still won't get a
successful boot. That should demonstrate that something else is wrong, nothing
to do with the presence/absence of your selector.)
----
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.com}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!dkl
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!dkl@nosc.mil
INET: dkl@pro-europa.cts.com - BITNET: pro-europa.uucp!dkl@psuvax1

SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET (10/31/89)

In your post <can't  remember exactly>:
You said : <can't remember exactly> something about booting Prodos 8 through
GSOS.  Try renaming the START file in the */system folder to */system/FINDER.
This should force GSOS into dropping directly into ProDOS 8. The only problem
is I've only heard of 1 or two PD programs that let you run GSOS programs from
prodos 8. I think your best bet would be to get some sort of shell program that
can be configured to boot into BASIC.SYSTEM and still return you to the finder.