[comp.sys.apple] DOS 3.3 on a 3.5" disk

In article <2995@husc6.harvard.edu> huang@husc4.UUCP (Howard Huang) writes:
..stuff deleted about UniDOS Plus since it doesn't directly relate to this
article...but it really sounds cool to be able to use 800K disks as two 400K
volumes...
>i don't have prosel, but a while back i believe it allowed you to partition
>some of an 800k disk as a dos 3.3 volume. i'm not sure about this one.  i
>also believe something's weird about my terminal, and that this is going to
>come out all in capital letters. oh well.
>
>howard
>huang@husc4.harvard.edu

	Actually ProSEL allows you to partition only 1/4 of a 3.5" disk as
a DOS 3.3 volume. While it's still more convenient than actual 5.25" disks
in my opinion, it's still a pretty small chunk of the disk.

	And now that I think about it for a minute, didn't UniDOS (the
original) also use a whole 800K disk? But as far as I remember, it's a real
pain to use. I think ProSEL used a modified FID, but it was a real pain to
get things onto UniDOS disks... Maybe they fixed that...

	There's also DOS MASTER by Glen Bredon which puts a DOS 3.3 volume
on any ProDOS device. I mailed him asking about the product after I mailed
Applied Ingenuity about DOS 3.3 on their InnerDrives... The only major diff-
erence between the InnerDrive and the Vulcan that I see is the ability of the
Vulcan to use many operating systems...But the only ones I'm interested in are
ProDOS, GS/OS, and DOS 3.3.. AI told me about DOS MASTER. If I get this
wrong correct me, but I believe that DOS MASTER gives you only ONE 400K
partition on any ProDOS device. I don't think you can make multiple partitions.
So even if you have megs and megs of DOS 3.3 stuff (like CannonBall Blitz,
etc!), even on your huge hard drive only 400K for DOS 3.3. Doesn't really
seem worth it.

Whew this was a lot longer than I had originally planned it to be.
--
unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu

In article <6192@portia.Stanford.EDU> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>[stuff about DOS on 3.5" disks deleted]
>The only major difference
>between the InnerDrive and the Vulcan that I see is the ability of the
>Vulcan to use many operating systems...But the only ones I'm interested in are
>ProDOS, GS/OS, and DOS 3.3..
>--
>unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu

Vulcan has the ability (like the older Siders) to use many different *file*
systems.  Operating systems use the drive, not the other way around.

And GS/OS is *not* a file system.  GS/OS works with other file systems, like
ProDOS and DOS 3.3 ('cept a DOS 3.3 FST isn't currently available).  Something
that works with ProDOS should work with GS/OS, given a ProDOS FST.  Something
that works with DOS 3.3 should work with GS/OS, given a DOS 3.3 FST.  And so
on, and so on, and so on.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (10/31/89)

Actually, you can define a huge partition on your had disk for DOS 3.3
stuff with DOS.MASTER.   It is in no way limited to 400k.   In fact I
have nearly 800k of DOS 3.3 stuff on my 3.5" floppies.   I think it is
a great program.

Seymour