[comp.sys.apple] Paintworks Gold Patch for 5.0

craparotta@liovax.enet.dec.com (Physical T5--Virtual T7) (10/16/89)

Here is the Paintworks Gold patch that I have. This is also written by
Jason Harper. Hope it helps

Search the program file for the bytes C9 08 00 D0 CE, and change the $08
to a $7F.  It's trying to allocate a 640K block of contigious memory, and is
only checking in the first 512K of your computer for the start of such a block:
this renders any memory beyond the 1.125MB (512+640K) point unusable by the
program.  With the patch, it will (hopefully) keep on looking for a suitable
block throughout the computer's installed RAM.

Joe

ptrepan1@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (pat trepanier) (10/25/89)

In article <8910160027.AA01105@decwrl.dec.com>, craparotta@liovax.enet.dec.com (Physical T5--Virtual T7) writes:
> Here is the Paintworks Gold patch that I have. This is also written by
> Jason Harper. Hope it helps
>
> Search the program file for the bytes C9 08 00 D0 CE, and change the $08
> to a $7F.  It's trying to allocate a 640K block of contigious memory, and is
> only checking in the first 512K of your computer for the start of such a block

I tired this patch and all that happens is I get the Paintworks Gold title
screen and then it crashes into the monitor. I even tried this with my ram disk
set to 0k and it still didin't work, by the way it will eork under GS/OS 4.0.

I don't know if it is just me or why it dosen't seem to work.

		Pat Trepanier
		ptrepan1@ub.d.umn.edu

In article <2939@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> ptrepan1 (pat trepanier) writes:
>In article <8910160027.AA01105@decwrl.dec.com>, craparotta@liovax.enet.dec.com (Physical T5--Virtual T7) writes:
>> Here is the Paintworks Gold patch that I have. This is also written by
>> Jason Harper. Hope it helps
>>
>> Search the program file for the bytes C9 08 00 D0 CE, and change the $08
>> to a $7F.  It's trying to allocate a 640K block of contigious memory, and is
>> only checking the first 512K of your computer for the start of such a block
>
>I tried this patch and all that happens is I get the Paintworks Gold title
>screen and then it crashes into the monitor. I even tried this with ram disk
>set to 0k and it still didin't work, by the way it will eork under GS/OS 4.0.
>
>I don't know if it is just me or why it dosen't seem to work.
>
>		Pat Trepanier
>		ptrepan1@ub.d.umn.edu

May I say, first of all, that lines in messages longer than 80 characters
really mess up my terminal program at home when I try to use vi.  Just a note
to alert those out there to try to avoid such lines if they can.

PWGold is looking for a 640K block that begins on a bank (64K) boundary.  The
first problem is that it only looks in the first 512K to find such a block
which means it ignores one if it exists in a large machine (like a 2 or 4 MB
IIgs, for example).

Jason's patch doesn't get around the second problem, which is that a contiguous
block of memory 640K long has to exist.  The patch makes it search the entire
machine instead of just the first 512K for such an area, but the program will
still unceremoniously crash if it can't find one at all.

Adding more memory to your machine should make the patched version work.

(To those thinking "purgeall", it won't help.  The Memory Manager will dump
all purgeable memory during the search since it's trying to allocate memory
at a specific address which is already occupied, like bank 2.)

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."

dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) (10/29/89)

In article <36002@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>In article <2939@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> ptrepan1 (pat trepanier) writes:
>>In article <8910160027.AA01105@decwrl.dec.com>, craparotta@liovax.enet.dec.com (Physical T5--Virtual T7) writes:
>>> Here is the Paintworks Gold patch that I have. This is also written by
>>> Jason Harper. Hope it helps
>>>

>Adding more memory to your machine should make the patched version work.
>
>(To those thinking "purgeall", it won't help.  The Memory Manager will dump

I have 3.25 Megs and it STILL DON'T WORK!!!!

Dave
dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

>>Adding more memory to your machine should make the patched version work.
>>
>>(To those thinking "purgeall", it won't help.  The Memory Manager will dump
>
>I have 3.25 Megs and it STILL DON'T WORK!!!!
>
>Dave
>dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

Well, why in tarnation are you shouting at me?  I didn't write the stupid
program; I'm just trying to take my Sunday morning to help people figure i
out.

I can't promise that PWG will work under 5.0 at any rate.  Many people seem
to find that it does; I personally don't own it.  I *do* know that unless
you have 640K in one continuous block free, in the first 1.25 MB of memory,
PWG gold as ships will crash into the monitor.  I also know that with Jason
Harper's patch, it will crash if you don't have 640K free (that's TEN BANKS in
a row) free anywhere in your system.  It may crash for other reasons, and even
on your 3.25 Meg system it *is possible* that ten continuous banks aren't free
anywhere.

If you want to shout at someone, shout at Mediagenic.  I'm just trying to help.

dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) (10/30/89)

In article <36025@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:

>>>Adding more memory to your machine should make the patched version work.
>>>
>>>(To those thinking "purgeall", it won't help.  The Memory Manager will dump
>>
>>I have 3.25 Megs and it STILL DON'T WORK!!!!
>>

>Well, why in tarnation are you shouting at me?  I didn't write the stupid
>program; I'm just trying to take my Sunday morning to help people figure i
>out.

Sorry Matt.   Didn't mean for you to take it personally. Honest :-)
I really appreciate the time you and others from Apple take to help
out people.  SHAKE?  :-)

Dave
dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

jib@prism.TMC.COM (10/30/89)

RE: PWG patch

TO: Matt;  Most of us DO appreciate your help!!!  Don't take his
misdirected, but understandble frustration to heart.

TO The original poster.   I have "only" 2.25 Meg and the patch has worked
fine for me and most other users with system 5.0  The patch works both
with version 1.0 and the newer 1.5 of PWG...

Check that your system is installed properly, check for incompatible desk
accessories, inits, etc.

Hope this helps

Jim Block		jib@prism.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!prism!jib

Matthew Bender Inc, 11 Penn Plaza, NY, NY 10001 (212) 216-8018

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (10/31/89)

>I have 3.25 Megs and it STILL DON'T WORK!!!!
>
>Dave
>dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

I have a 2 meg IIgs, 01 ROM and the PaintWorks Gold patch works fine on
my machine.

Rick