[comp.sys.apple] Mouse and Switcher for a Apple //c

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (11/09/89)

In article <2029@sactoh0.UUCP> mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) writes:
>Just recently, my cord for my mouse got all crewed up. So, I drop
>by my local Apple dealer (I am good friends with the owner, even
>though he says "It's time to upgrade to a Mac, Mark") to pick up a
>new cord. Unfortunately, they cannot even special order a cable,
>only trade in a mouse . . .. for $70!!!!!

>      Mark Arthur Holtz        <->       America OnLine: Mark Holtz
>     7943 Sungarden Drive      <->             GEnie: M.HOLTZ
>Citrus Heights, CA  95610-3133 <-> UUCP: {ames att}!pacbell!sactoh0!mholtz
>  Home Phone: (916) 722-8522   <->     -or- uunet!mmsac!sactoh0!mholtz

Why not just replace the cord?  The connections inside an apple mouse
shouldn't be too hard to replace for someone with a little skill with a
soldering iron.  I bought a damaged apple mouse for my 128, and just
replaced a diode worth some $.60

The cable end can be bought at any Radio Shack, as can a new hood.
Depending on where the cable is broken you might be able to get
away with soldering wire-to-wire to replace the cable between the
the old plug and the mouse.

Careful not to use wires that are too long, or someone might mistake
it for a rat 8^).