[comp.sys.apple] Profanity...

sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com (The RainForest BBS) (11/08/89)

Seems to an awful deluge of several vulgarities recently. While none
personally offend me it would seem that this particular forum is not the kind
of place to air them.

/steve

+===========================================================================+
| UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider               COMPU$ERVE : 75166,2544 |
| ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider@nosc.mil      GENIE      : sschneider |
| INET: sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com             APLINK.PE  : <shrug>    |
| The RainForest @ 305-434-4927 / PO Box 841422, Pembroke Pines, Fl,  33084 |
+===========================================================================+

blochowi@rt7.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (11/09/89)

In article <603@batman.moravian.EDU> nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) writes:
>In article <8911081013.AA08417@trout.nosc.mil>, sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com
>(The RainForest BBS) writes:
>> Seems to an awful deluge of several vulgarities recently. [...]
>Absolutely right.  If you haven't the vocabulary to use to describe an emotion,
>please get a dictionary or thesaurus.  Thanks.

	My... I haven't heard this since I swore at my high school principal...
I certainly don't condone gratuitous profanity, and I do try to avoid using it
here, as it does tend to offend people, which gets in the way of people
accepting what I have to say. However, I do think that judicious use of
swearing can be a concise method of expression. E.g.: Which more effectively
delivers disbelief: "Bullshit!" or "I find that your statements are lacking in
credibility."? Granted, the first example is obviously more inflammatory, but
delivers the intended sentiment in one word, as opposed to an entire sentence.
As for something a bit more down to earth than the sentence, such as "I don't
believe you" - well, it doesn't deliver quite the same punch. In a situation in
which information overload is a distinct possibility, using concise expressions
can be a great advantage.

	I believe I remember the messages which were referred to, and for the
most part I tend to agree that the use of profanity was inappropriate. However,
catagorical condemnation is something that I have a difficult time ignoring
(yaknow "I'm really intolerant of intolerance" - that kind of stuff).

	I'm fairly sure I'll get flamed some for this - if you feel the need to
do so, please do it by email, as I don't think that personal opinion flames
(which this post is quite definitely NOT supposed to be - I like Andy) belong
on the open net.

--
      Jason Blochowiak - blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.uucp
       "Education, like neurosis, begins at home." - Milton R. Sapirstein