[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS 5.0.2

SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin Lepard, 629-1827", 517) (10/10/89)

does anyone know when GS/OS 5.0.2 is going to be released?

Kevin Lepard
Bitnet:  Sasquatch@albion.bitnet
Disclaimer:  These opinions do not necessarily represent those of Albion
College, but they probably should.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/12/89)

In article <8910091807.aa16677@SEM.BRL.MIL> SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin Lepard,  629-1827", 517) writes:

>does anyone know when GS/OS 5.0.2 is going to be released?

System Software 5.0.2 will start showing up soon.  (The GS/OS version happens
to be 3.1 with the prototype bit set, although it isn't really prototype...
don't worry.)
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) (10/12/89)

Network Comment: to #6066 by dlyons@apple.com

Not quite on topic, but I just ordered a GS(ROM3) and from reading the
postings it appears as if the ROMs and GS/OS3.1(i.e System5) seems to cause
many programs to fail.Is this just me worrying? Even Deluxe
PaintII(unprotected version) seems to be having its problems.How widespread is
this?

Philip McDunnough   -> philip@utstat.toronto.edu
University of Toronto

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (10/13/89)

From article <35568@apple.Apple.COM>, by dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons):
> In article <8910091807.aa16677@SEM.BRL.MIL> SASQUATCH@ALBION.BITNET ("Kevin Lepard,  629-1827", 517) writes:
>>
>>does anyone know when GS/OS 5.0.2 is going to be released?
>
> System Software 5.0.2 will start showing up soon.
>  --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.
>    My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

The developer's here are receiving there copies now.  We got ours in the
mail yesterday.  (along with the Oct. Tech. Notes)

Phil

|   I heard some where IBM stood for "I've Been Mugged"...  |
|  Phil Lindberg	      snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| UUCP: ..!uunet!bcstec!tahoma!prl3546    Renton, WA 98056  |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not   |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	    |

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (11/09/89)

In article <9.cortland.info-apple@pro-houston> henrym@pro-houston.cts.com (Henry Malmgren) writes:
>... a friend suggested that I delete the tools that are now in
>rom.  The problem is that neither of us know which tools that would be.

There is a "STV" (Show Tool Versions) NDA available on various BBSes
that is handy for such things.  It allows you to "force-load" tools,
and shows the versions of all active/loaded tools (at least up to #32).
You could use STV after booting a toolless system disk to see what
versions are in ROM and/or GS/OS itself (if any), then again after
booting a toolful system disk to force-load every tool and see what
newer versions are available.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (11/10/89)

In article <9.cortland.info-apple@pro-houston> henrym@pro-houston.cts.com (Henry Malmgren) writes:
>I have a ROM 03 GS, running GS/OS 5.0.2.   I am wondering, which files are
>unnecessary on the system disk, because they are in rom?

Besides System.Setup:TS2, you can throw away Tools:Tool014 (Window Manager),
Tool015 (Menu Manager), Tool016 (Control Manager), Tool020 (Line Edit),
Tool021 (Dialog Manager), Tool022 (Scrap Manager), Tool027 (Font Manager),
and Tool028 (List Manager).  [Actually, I'm only 94% sure about the List
Manager--you'll find out quickly enough if I'm wrong.]

Of course, this information is to help you make more efficient use of your
*personal* disks (hard or otherwise).  If you ever ship a product that
doesn't have all the files necessary to run on a ROM 1 or ROM 3 GS, the
compatibility gods will give you lots and lots of strong magnets every
christmas.