[comp.sys.apple] Pending shut-down

wmapple@BRL.MIL (Info-Apple-Request) (11/10/89)

Folks,

In about a month, I plan to shut down the info-apple distribution from
BRL.  I have tried, unsuccessfully, to get another site or another
person to pick up the list.

BRL has no need for info-apple because we have full access to the UseNet
groups and can avail ourselves of comp.sys.apple with no additional
burden whatever.  The sheer volume of Internet mail traffic overburdens
our mail system and our gateways, resulting in vast queues of mail that
must be "pushed" by hand.  Such an event occurred very recently, some of
you will remember.

In view of the effort to start up a second apple UseNet group,
comp.sys.apple2.tech, where TECHNICAL discussions concerning Apple II
computers would be held, this seems like an appropriate time to take
action.

As you know, many of your sites have a UseNet feed.  Others of you can
easily obtain a feed of comp.sys.apple at your site.  Some of you will
have to make private arrangements to have someone with UseNet access
forward you comp.sys.apple items by e-mail.  I have listed what I know
about this problem at the end of this letter.

Please feel free to use info-apple as a bulletin board to enquire about
alternative access.  Please feel free to ask me questions, too.  I'll do
what I can to ease the transition for everyone.

Cheers,

	_Brint Cooper
	Info-Apple-Request@brl.mil

			INFO-APPLE ALTERNATIVES

THESE HAVE USENET FEED and can avail themselves of comp.sys.apple.

	Brint Cooper <abc@brl.mil>,
	Generous Electric <~ge@smoke.brl.mil>,
	Aivars Ozolins <oz@brl.mil>,
	Karen R Murray <karen@brl.mil>,
	CDN Net <info-apple@relay.cdnnet.ca>,
	BBOARD-INFO-APPLE@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil,
	ARCHIVE-INFO-APPLE@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil,
	arpalists#info-apple@andrew.cmu.edu,
	apple@umd2.umd.edu,
	Toronto <info-apple-distribution@ai.toronto.edu>,
	lamb@ecf.toronto.edu,
	bbinfo-apple@xx.lcs.mit.edu,
	Doug Hughes <doug@hcx.psu.edu>,
	Michael Mcgurrin <mcgurrin@mwunix.mitre.org>,
	Dick Ramstead <info-apple@mbunix.mitre.org>,
	Steve Margolis <shm@aerospace.aero.org>,
	info-apple@sccgate.scc.com,

	THESE HAVE INFORMED ME THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE USENET FEED:

	Apple Dock <incoming-info-apple@dockmaster.ncsc.mil>,
	info-apple@um.cc.umich.edu,  (But say they can get individual feeds)
	NIST <infoapple@sed.ceee.nist.gov>,

THE FOLLOWING SITE IS ALSO ON BITNET and can receive info-apple from ndvm1:

	rvax.ccit.arizona.edu

	(I have enquired of Berkeley about a direct Gateway between
	vm1.nodak.edu and ucbvax.berkeley.edu for two-way access to
	comp.sys.apple and am awaiting the answer.

I DO NOT KNOW IF THESE HAVE USENET FEED:

	shell@nadc.arpa,
	Mike Beck <beckm@uv4.eglin.af.mil>,
	Maj Richard S Mitchell <mitchellr@uv4.eglin.af.mil>,
	RADC <apple@tops20.radc.af.mil>,
	Don Cotabish <dcotabis@letterkenn-emh1.army.mil>,
	crash!infoappl@nosc.mil,
	Jim Hauge <HAUGE@vlsi.JPL.NASA.GOV>,
	IntelliCorp <info-apple@intellicorp.com>,
	post-info-apple@ucbvax.berkeley.edu,
	Ken Adelman <info-apple-users@hamlet.caltech.edu>,
	Bruce P Halpern <halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu>,
	David M. Legler <legler@masig2.ocean.fsu.edu>,
	ISI-INFO-APPLE@a.isi.edu,
	Mississippi State <info-apple@msstate.edu>,
	Bitnet List <info-app@vm1.nodak.edu>,
	Northeastern U <nu-info-apple@northeastern.edu>,
	jonathan@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu,
	thomason@uoneuro.uoregon.edu,
	malin@cs.unc.edu,

tcwilson@pro-tcc.cts.com (Tc Wilson) (11/10/89)

I hate to sound like a superior maggot, but "Big Deal" is all I have to say.
*IF* you're so ticked off, *WHY* didn't you do this a month ago???

You *KNEW* what you were getting into when you started networking - NOTHING in
life is free, and AT&T is even less free. As for what this "subject feed"
should be about, WHO DIED AND LEFT YOU GOD?

(yes, I *AM* a bit ticked off at this "holier-than-thou" attitude!)

PS: Fat Sig Macro coming - enjoy!

    TC Wilson, Chump Industries Unlimited  ! Internet: tcwilson@pro-tcc
    Po box 09693                           ! "Programming is an art form
    Columbus, Ohio  43209                  !  that fights back"

TSEMM@ALASKA.BITNET (Ed 'Apple Guru' Moore) (11/11/89)

What does this me to me....A bitnet person??  Will I still get it?
Will I still be able tos send?  What about
the new Tech forum in the works?1
will I still be able to get it?