[comp.sys.apple] Default Finder Shutdown Option

blochowi@rt7.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (11/09/89)

In article <5083@internal.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>In article <1989Nov8.070745.5291@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (  Stupid  ) writes:
>>Is there any way to change the default Finder shutdown option [...]
> [Cary Farrier wrote of a way to do what, uh, Stupid wants ;)]
>>- John
>Cary Farrier

	Speaking of which - it'd be great to have a "Set default for Shutdown"
option, presumably in the Preferences dialog. I almost exclusively quit back
to the launching application, and would like to do this without having to use
the mouse, as hitting Command-Q, Return is easier (for me) than going up to the
menu, selecting Shutdown, clicking on one of the radio buttons, and then
clicking on the Ok button. I'm not suggesting that the Shutdown dialog be
gotten rid of, just have it so we can change the default option.
--
      Jason Blochowiak - blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.uucp
       "Education, like neurosis, begins at home." - Milton R. Sapirstein

UD041948@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Joe Carlin) (11/10/89)

Even more awesome, is that I thought of wonderful routing for Apple to
impliment into their Dialog Manager routines.  Often times, all the choices
in dialog boxes start with a different letter.  How about if instead of
having to move the mouse to click one of the buttons (which of course would
be present as well as an option), to just press the key of the first letter
of the choice you want.  For example, in Finder, you put in an unformatted
disk, and the following dialog box pops up:

              GS/OS cannot read this disk.  Which option to choose?

                              Eject       Format

Now, neither of the buttons can be selected by return, so how about I just
press 'E' to Eject it, or 'F' to format the disk?  I like that idea if I could
do that if I have my fingers at the keyboard (I would like a response from
Apple), or just click the button with my mouse if my hand is there.  See,
now here's another awesome idea some little guy far far far (1500 miles)
from Apple has, and my input could affect the next System Disk.  Gosh, I
feel awful important now.  See, I'm just full of nifty ideas this week.

Joe

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (11/11/89)

Joe Carlin <UD041948@vm1.nodak.edu> writes:
> Even more awesome, is that I thought of wonderful routing for Apple to
> impliment into their Dialog Manager routines.  Often times, all the choices
> in dialog boxes start with a different letter.  How about if instead of
> having to move the mouse to click one of the buttons (which of course would
> be present as well as an option), to just press the key of the first letter
> of the choice you want.  For example, in Finder, you put in an unformatted
> disk, and the following dialog box pops up:
>
>               GS/OS cannot read this disk.  Which option to choose?
>
>                               Eject       Format

On the Mac, there are often buttons with keyboard equivalents using
the Open-Apple key. The key would be printed inside the button along
with whatever the button did. Even more fun, toggling the key blackens
the button as if you had pressed it with the mouse.

Its a really cool idea, and again prevents you from doing anything too
crazy by smacking RETURN by mistake. Gotta look into this....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Jeremy Mereness                  |   Support     | Disclaimer:             |
| jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |     Free      |  The above represent my |
| r746jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |      Software |  opinions, alone.       |
| a student at Carnegie Mellon U.  |               |  Void where prohibited. |

edward@pro-harvest.cts.com (Edward Floden) (11/11/89)

	> Hit the return key twice.  This will select the restart button on
	> the dialog which says "You may now shut off your GS safely".  It
	> doesn't change the default, but it is pretty easy since your finger
	> is already on the return key.

But that doesn't solve my problem. I never boot into the Finder, but into
ProSel-16. Occasionally I use the Finder, but when I quit, I want to "Return
to launching application", not restart the system. I'd like to see the
shutdown options configurable on the Preferences menu.

:Edward