[comp.sys.apple] ROCKET CHIP 10MHZ!

ST802148@BROWNVM.BITNET (Evan) (10/21/89)

Well, I got it. And it is AWESOME!.... OK, well, I have to go to math class soo
n, but this what i can tell you so far. Clock support with NSC (No-Slot-Clock)
- 100% (After some problems and a call to tech support). SCSI - You are not all
owed to have it on fast speed or ram cache, but it works great with the speed.
All my other devices have caching (including floppies which are set to slow - H
AVE TO BE!) and you can tell the difference in speed of loading. Proterm (obvio
usly works - the menu screens literally fly!)
Ramworks works fine... can't tell if the chip makes it faster... it's too damn
fast as it is!  80 columns are claimed to be sped up. I suppose they are.  Publ
ish It! 2 cannot be explained.  I thought I was on a Mac SE.... Incredible... W
ell I will get you the final details later. Any question? I will be happy to an
swer them. Send me mail. Later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paul@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) (10/26/89)

Comment to message from: ST802148%BROWNVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (Evan)

> SCSI - You are not allowed to have it on fast speed or ram cache, but it
> works great with the speed.

Sure you are.  My //e with CMS SCSI card is on fast speed but not cached.

| UUCP: [ucsd, nosc] !crash!pro-europa!paul | "All that is necessary for the |
| INET: paul@pro-europa.cts.com             |  triumph of evil, is for good  |
| ARPA: crash!pro-europa!paul@nosc.mil      |  men to do nothing."           |

shawn@marilyn.UUCP (Shawn P. Stanley) (10/27/89)

In article <8910260806.AA12536@trout.nosc.mil> paul@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) writes:
>My //e with CMS SCSI card is on fast speed but not cached.

How did you set that?

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/11/89)

     Is a setup file required for the Rocket Chip?  It would be nice if it
could be changed internally (I may be asking too much for a chip) like the
TWGS.  Also, will the Ohio vulcan kache work with Rocket?
     Thanks in advance to anyone who knows!

							Ken.

ST802148@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Evan) (11/13/89)

There is a prodos file that boots up after prodos to configure the chip. As wel
l, the chip is compatable with the Transwarp speed setting commands (ie-poke 40
386,0 for 1 Mhz, ,1 for 10Mhz) There may be others. I just don't use em. As for
 comapatability with the caching card , I would think so. The chip would have t
o have that slot slow so the card can do all the work. Otherwise, you can choos
e the cache any FLOPPIES with the chip itself. It has a 2K cache within the chi
p for floppies. It speeds up loading significantly. Believe me. However with al
l SCSI's, the slot must be set to slow and no cache. If you have a card that do
es it, well, that would be fine