[comp.sys.apple] GS Stereo Card information request

	In A+ magazine for the last few months before its demise and in
InCider/A+ magazine up until a month or two ago, I was seeing an ad for
a "GSterio" [sic] card for somewhere around $32 mail order. I do not know
what brand it is, that's the only name I can remember and I think it is the only
name given with the product.  It seemed that I always would notice this ad, but
I wasn't that interested in buying a stereo card and speakers at that time.
I think that Mr. Murphy (as in Murphy's Law) has struck again. Now that I am
interested in a stereo card, I can't seem to find that ad anymore, even in
my old back issues!

	If anyone has ANY information regarding this particular stereo card
or another very inexpensive (i.e. less than $50) stereo card, please MAIL
it to me as I believe other people wouldn't be interested in this. Even
information about building my own stereo card (not quad-card as was
posted recently) would be helpful but I'd rather just buy a premade one.

	I think one of the other relatively inexpensive cards I found was
by Applied Engineering or some other big name company... But I saw that
in the mail order ads, one had "(digitizer)" or something similar after
its name, but sold for the same price as the one above it. Does the digitizer
one ALSO act as a stereo card? Even though I'm not that interested in getting
a digitizer, if it's FREE in this sense I might as well get it.

	If this card really did sell for $32 if my bad memory is correct,
I'd guess it cost less than $20 to make... And in bulk quantities could
probably be made for even $10 or less... Geez, you'd think Apple coulda
taken $10 off of their most likely huge profit and built in stereo for
a computer with such sound capability! Seems to me to be a big mistake.

	THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
--
unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu  Please use the former address. The latter is provided
unknown@darkside.com    just in case something mail is bounced from the former.

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (11/13/89)

In article <5725@lindy.Stanford.EDU> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
<
<	In A+ magazine for the last few months before its demise and in
<InCider/A+ magazine up until a month or two ago, I was seeing an ad for
<a "GSterio" [sic] card for somewhere around $32 mail order. I do not know
<what brand it is, that's the only name I can remember and I think it is the only
<name given with the product.

I believe the card you mention was made by Applied Ingenuity, and when I called
them a few months ago enquiring about it, they said it was no longer made and
they didn't have and left.   I guess they got knocked out when AE
introduced their Sonic Blaster, but some people don't have $129 for it.  There
is also a schematic in Gary Bond's _Inside te Apple IIGS_ (Sybex, 1986), but
I blew up the parts for it in another project before I got around to building
it.  The parts cost about $6, so I'm sure Apple could have built it in with
no financial hardship incurred.

>unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu  Please use the former address. The latter is provided
>unknown@darkside.com    just in case something mail is bounced from the former.

Henry