[comp.sys.apple] Flight simulators which use accelerators

reeder@reed.UUCP (Doug Reeder) (11/10/89)

I am getting a flight simulator for Christmas.  Can any of them run in a
sane fashion when accelerated (in my case by a 10MHz Rocketchip)?
Computational speed is the big bottleneck, so if i can use my Rocket, it
will vastly improve the performance.  Which one do you reccomend?
--
Doug Reeder                          USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!reeder
Box 722 Reed College                 BITNET: reeder@reed.BITNET

ST802148@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Evan) (11/11/89)

>I am getting a flight simulator for Christmas.  Can any of them run in a
>sane fashion when accelerated (in my case by a 10MHz Rocketchip)?
>Computational speed is the big bottleneck, so if i can use my Rocket, it
>will vastly improve the performance.  Which one do you reccomend?

Definately take a look at Chuck Yeager`s Flight Trainer. It was good on 1
Mhz, and when I got the 10, well, it was amazing. Sooooo fast! (Maybe too fast)
Give it a try.

jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com ("Jerry E. Kindall") (11/11/89)

Flight Simulator II from SubLogic will work fine with the 10 Mhz Rocket Chip.
Unfortunately it works fine ten times faster than usual.  Sure would have been
nice if authors of games had anticipated faster processors and given us an
option to draw more in-between shots for smoother animation if a faster
processor was found.
   _____
  ||___||  Jerry Kindall               |  Internet: jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com
  |  o  |  2612 Queensway Drive        |  UUCP:     nosc!crash!pro-tcc!jerryk
  |__O__|  Grove City, OH  43123-3347  |  GEnie: A2.JERRY     ALine: A2 Jerry

cyliao@wam.UMD.EDU (11/14/89)

The only good flight simulators I know are The Flight Simulator II and a
game/simulation of helicopter called Thunderchopper (from Action Soft which
I believe is a sub-section of SubLogic, correct me if I am wrong.) I do have
a Flight Simulator II that works with both 1 MHz or 3MHz approx machines.
That is, I gave a friend of mine (who's both a Flight Simulator fan and a
genius cracker, though, he only deprotects programs for friends) my original
copy of FS II. He then deprotected it, fixed some bugs, added couple *new*
functions (and still occupy just one side) so I can use it with my "Zip"ed
//c.  What I am trying to say is that it is not too hard to sublogic to make
a new version of FS II that can be adjusted to different system speed. I don't
mean that I am going to make copies for you guys as it has copyright.

Just mention some modifications my friend added or modified to my FS II:
o fast system speed/normal system speed
o turbo flight (24 time faster, but you don't see scenaries, just the
  horizontal line)
o save customer mode on 35th track (so you don't need another blank disk)
o back up copier for scenario disk which deprotects as it copies.
  (not finished yet when I left Buenos Aires, so it's still inactive)
o some bugs fixed

I myself is also a flight simulation fan. (I prefer to fly a realy plane, but
my eyes don't allow me to do so.)

| "When is a revolution legal? When it   |Chun Yao Liao +++ cyliao@wam.umd.edu|
|  succeeds." -August Strindberg         |    The Oriental from Argentina!    |
|___________Don't we need a revolution on the computer technology?____________|