[comp.sys.apple] CD ROM formats

blochowi@rt5.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (10/27/89)

In article <4912@internal.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>	Not all CD-ROMs are formatted under the High Sierra or ISO 9660
>	(the ISO version of High Sierra), I have seen a number of ProDOS
>	and HFS CD-ROMs.  The ones that are formatted under HS/ISO 9660
>	you should be able to read.

	Is there are reason that a ProDOS CD-ROM wouldn't be readable under
GS/OS (or ProDOS 8, for that matter)? It'd be horrible if this were another
"well, gee, it looks like it's the way it's supposed to be, but it's not"
(like the bit with the FSTs).

	What are the other major formats for CD-ROMs, and how many of them
are in HS/ISO 9660? (rough percentages should do the trick) I would imagine
that Apple picked High Sierra for a reason, but the reason isn't always
because it's the most popular... Oh, if the CD-ROMs aren't in HS, will they
still be block-level readable with the Apple CD-ROM drive?

--
                 Jason Blochowiak - back at school (again).
             blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.UUCP

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (10/28/89)

In article <3483@puff.cs.wisc.edu> blochowi@rt5.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) writes:
>[...] Is there are reason that a ProDOS CD-ROM wouldn't be readable under
>GS/OS (or ProDOS 8, for that matter)? [...]

ProDOS partitions on CD-ROM disks are perfectly readable by the ProDOS FST;
no problem.

>What are the other major formats for CD-ROMs, and how many of them
>are in HS/ISO 9660? (rough percentages should do the trick) I would imagine
>that Apple picked High Sierra for a reason, but the reason isn't always
>because it's the most popular... Oh, if the CD-ROMs aren't in HS, will they
>still be block-level readable with the Apple CD-ROM drive?

I don't have any statistics for you, but High Sierra / ISO 9660 are very
similar standards designed specifically for CDs.  If a CD isn't in one
of those formats, it's in some particular system's "preferred" file system
format (like HFS for lots of CDs that ship with Macintosh software).

I *think* all CDs containing data are readable at the block level under
GS/OS (using DRead, *not* READ_BLOCK), or using extended SmartPort calls
under ProDOS 8 (not GS/OS).
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

jib@prism.TMC.COM (10/30/89)

RE: CD-ROM formats

The major part of my job is publishing legal books on CD-ROM.  I have
attended all 4 major MicroSoft CD-ROM conferences.  In the very early days
there were multiple formats, but the High Sierra group was an
industry-wide group to standardize the disc format.  ISO 9660 is a
slightly revised international standard version of High Sierra.

Virtually all new CD-ROM titles are issued in ISO 9660 (or at least High
Sierra).  The only other format that one sees very often is Mac HFS but
this is becoming rare since most publishers would prefer one disc for both
the  Mac and IBM-clone market.

I have never heard of a PRODOS CD and would think it pretty foolish since
no other machine could read it, whereas a IIGS with a CDROM drive CAN read
ISO-9660

(The opinions expressed here, right or wrong, are my own.)

Jim Block		jib@prism.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!prism!jib

Matthew Bender Inc, 11 Penn Plaza, NY, NY 10001 (212) 216-8018

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (10/31/89)

In article <242000044@prism> jib@prism.TMC.COM writes:
>I have never heard of a PRODOS CD and would think it pretty foolish since
>no other machine could read it, whereas a IIGS with a CDROM drive CAN read
>ISO-9660

	If you wanted to boot from the CD-ROM, then you would have
	to create at least the first partition as a ProDOS partition,
	then you could place ISO 9660 partitions after the ProDOS
	partition, giving you a very decent media.  Something of
	this sort would be useful for any type of GS software that
	dealt with large data bases or permanent archives.  I don't
	consider that foolish.

Cary Farrier
--
+--------------+-------------------------+

edward@pro-harvest.cts.com (Edward Floden) (11/15/89)

> >[...] But the Apple II CD-ROM will also
> >have two 64 MB ProDOS partitions at the top of the volume, just in case a
> >'regular' IIe is used to examine the disk.

	> I hope you mean two 32Mb partitions, totaling 64Mb of ProDOS
	> space on the CD-ROM, because you won't be able a partition
	> > 32Mb under ProDOS.

Yes, you're right: I meant two 32 MB partitions. I wasn't planning to rewrite
the ProDOS FST just yet. :)

:Edward

UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!edward                  ProLine: edward@pro-harvest
ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!edward@nosc.mil      CIS: 73220.1624@compuserve.com