[comp.sys.apple] against comp.sys.apple2.tech

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (11/15/89)

I was asked to forward this to the newsgroup (it arrived by personal
mail):

From oracle!pnakada.oracle.com!pnakada@apple.com Tue Nov 14 11:44:01 1989
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 89 10:39:49 PST
From: Paul Nakada <oracle!pnakada.oracle.com!pnakada@apple.com>
To: farrier@apple.com
Subject: please forward...

Cary,
    It seems to me that what people need is a better news reader.  rn
which I believe is the standard news reader is certainly not the only
and most certainly not the best news reader around.  Most complaints
point out that there are too many articles to read which do not
pertain to a particular readers interests.  If a news reader such as
vn, gnus, or gnews is used, the reader has the option to read or skip
an article.  News reading becomes much more selective, allowing the
reader to pick his own interesting topics without enforcing the
categorical boundary at the USENET level.

It seems a shame to split up such a tight group as this (I've seen
this group develop from a ~5 article newsgroup in 1985 to the great
group it is today) just because news reading technology is lagging
behind.

Please forward this to the USENET because my site is having problems
with outgoing USENET messages...

Thanks..
	-Paul Nakada

IMHO, this type of "soultion" isn't.  RN does allow the skipping of
unwanted topics, but if we followed this rationale, why have
separate news groups at all?  If I didn't want to read the
unix, IBM, Amiga, etc. stuff I could just skip past the articles, right?
Wrong.  The reasoning for separate newsgroups is to categorize the
information contained within them.  The content of this news group
has diversified to a point where this categorization is needed.

Cary
--
| Cary Farrier | farrier@apple.com       |