[comp.sys.apple] CPM file transfer program needed

hholzsch@pyrhard2 (Henk Holzscherer) (11/12/89)

I'm looking for a program similar to Xmodem that will run on an Apple II+
with a Z80 CPM card installed.  I have many CPM Wordstar files written on the
Apple that I would like to transfer over to an IBM PC (I know... call me a
traitor).  The least expensive way I can think of to do it is to transfer
the files over modems from one system to the other.  I have Xmodem and
Kermit for the PC but nothing for Apple CPM.

I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer.

       -m--------	Henk Holzscherer
     ---mmm------	hholzsch@pyrhard2.pyramid.com
   -----mmmmm----
 -------mmmmmmm--

jeffj@pro-avalon.cts.com (Jeff Jungblut) (11/13/89)

> I'm looking for a program similar to Xmodem that will run on an Apple II+
> with a Z80 CPM card installed.  I have many CPM Wordstar files written on the
> Apple that I would like to transfer over to an IBM PC (I know... call me a
> traitor).  The least expensive way I can think of to do it is to transfer
> the files over modems from one system to the other.  I have Xmodem and
> Kermit for the PC but nothing for Apple CPM.
>
> -m--------	Henk Holzscherer

United Software Industries used to publish Z-Term, a CP/M version of Ascii
Express.  (They also did P-Term, an Apple Pascal version.)

If Z-Term isn't available, try picking up Chameleon, a utility that converts
files between four different Apple II OS's: ProDOS, DOS 3.3, Pascal & CP/M.
There are public domain & shareware terminal packages available to send it to
the IBM.  (Try Z-Link or Kermit.)

dkl@pro-europa.cts.com (David Leikam) (11/14/89)

> CS-ID: #8337.cortland/info-apple@pro-europa 591 chars
>
> I'm looking for a program similar to Xmodem that will run on an Apple II+
> with a Z80 CPM card installed.  I have many CPM Wordstar files written on the
> Apple that I would like to transfer over to an IBM PC (I know... call me a
> traitor).  The least expensive way I can think of to do it is to transfer
> the files over modems from one system to the other.  I have Xmodem and
> Kermit for the PC but nothing for Apple CPM.

   Such things existed, but I wouldn't know where to tell you to look nowadays
for a protocol-supporting modem program.  I have an alternative
suggestion,though.

  There were/are programs that will translate between Apple CP/M, p-System,
Dos 3.3, and ProDos. One of them, called "Chameleon" is shareware. The other
is Universal File Translator, from I-forget-which-major-software-house.

  Either of these can translate your (otherwise untouched) wordstar files into
text files that your ProDos or Dos 3.3 term program can then transmit up to
your PC.

----
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.com}
                        ...!crash!pro-europa!dkl
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!dkl@nosc.mil
INET: dkl@pro-europa.cts.com - BITNET: pro-europa.uucp!dkl@psuvax1

bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) (11/15/89)

From article <8337.cortland.info-apple@pro-europa>, by dkl@pro-europa.cts.com (David Leikam):

> I'm looking for a program similar to Xmodem that will run on an
> Apple II+ with a Z80 CPM card installed.  I have many CPM
> Wordstar files written on the Apple that I would like to
> transfer over to an IBM PC

The program Softerm and/or Softerm II will do the job for
you. Seems a bit expensive unless you are going to continue to
write on the II+ and send them to the IBM.
--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 713-5356