[comp.sys.apple] OKS SCSI controller & TWgs

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (11/14/89)

In article <7312@ingr.com> gentrys@ingr.com (Scott Gentry) writes:
>In article <3623@puff.cs.wisc.edu>, blochowi@rt8.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) writes:
>> 	Anyways, does anyone know if the conflicts with the TransWarp GS have
>> been resolved? I was told that the TWgs had problems with the Multi-Kache card
>
>No problems here with my 7.0mhz TWGS and Multi-Kache board w/SCSI. There was
>however, a reprint of an article that stated to have IRQ on when using
>Multi-Kache with a TWGS.  I've tried IRQ both on and off with no problem.
>One small thing that I've not really been able to explain.
>--
>*Scott Gentry

I believe that the intended meaning was to use RDY and not DMA on the
Multi-Kache Card when a TWGS is used.  The Multi-Kache Card has a few
options to speed up disk access.  The *fastest* method is to use Direct
Memory Access, and I know that this will not work with the original
TransWarp.  I assume that it also does not work with the TransWarp GS
because the GS version uses cache memory to speed access to RAM and
therefore the cache might not be updated by a DMA access from the Kache
Card to main memory.  Keeping a processor cache updated in any multiple
bus-master system is not a trivial problem.  I'm surprised that such
technology is even working on the Apple II.  Disabling DMA causes the
Multi-Kache to use RDY, which is not nearly as fast as DMA, because the
65xxx processor must do all the memory moves.

I recently took advantage of Ohio Kache Systems' 15 day, no-risk trial.
There was no IRQ switch - only "Read Ahead", "Delayed Write" and "DMA".
I didn't have the SCSI option - is IRQ an option on the SCSI daughter
board?  BTW, the card didn't work with my TransWarpped 65C802 II Plus.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com ("Jerry E. Kindall") (11/15/89)

The OKS MultiKache and the AE TransWarp GS CAN be used in the same machine,
and you CAN use the MultiKache in DMA mode.  Early versions of the TWGS won't
work, but the current revision will.  Basically, the TransWarp GS flushes its
cache whenever it sees DMA taking place.  This means that after the DMA, the
system runs a little slower for a moment because all accesses to the cache
will miss.  But it does work.  The limiting factor in DMA is the RAM cards --
some don't support it, some only support it in the first 1 meg, and some only
in the first four megs.
   _____
  ||___||  Jerry Kindall               |  Internet: jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com
  |  o  |  2612 Queensway Drive        |  UUCP:     nosc!crash!pro-tcc!jerryk
  |__O__|  Grove City, OH  43123-3347  |  GEnie: A2.JERRY     ALine: A2 Jerry

gentrys@ingr.com (Scott Gentry) (11/15/89)

In article <9016@microsoft.UUCP>, brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) writes:

[lots of stuff deleted to satisfy postnews requirements]

> Multi-Kache to use RDY, which is not nearly as fast as DMA, because the
> 65xxx processor must do all the memory moves.

Interesting.  Perhaps my OKS Multi-Kache board works with its DMA option
set because I have an FPE-modded TWGS?  Hmmm...

> I recently took advantage of Ohio Kache Systems' 15 day, no-risk trial.
> There was no IRQ switch - only "Read Ahead", "Delayed Write" and "DMA".
> I didn't have the SCSI option - is IRQ an option on the SCSI daughter
> board?  BTW, the card didn't work with my TransWarpped 65C802 II Plus.

IRQ is an option for TWGS.  It's accessed (mainly) through the TWGS CDA-
like control panel.

--
*Scott Gentry             |UUCP:uunet!ingr!gentrys    |                   *
*Intergraph Corporation   |America Online: AFL Scott  |I speak for myself *