[comp.sys.apple] ProDOS error

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (11/14/89)

Okay, just checking out a new (well, new to my archive) version of Zlink
and trying to download more utilities from a new BBS (two birds with one
stone)...

Anyway, I keep getting ProDOS error $56.  This is not defined in
Michael Fischer's ][gs tech. reference book.  What does this error
mean and how can it be gotten around.  I disable my ProDOS 8 write
protect CDA, but I can't save any files (including the buffer) to
disk.  Dave Whitney, what do you think?

    Todd A. Bakal                              I believe in the Cubs,
    U of M Apple User's Group                  Bo's national championship
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                        chances, and my Apple ][gs.

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu          FTP: 35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal    BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

dkl@pro-houston.cts.com (David Karl Leikam) (11/15/89)

In CS-ID: #2673.cortland/info-apple@pro-houston  Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu
(Unknown User) writes,

>Anyway, I keep getting ProDOS error $56.  This is not defined in
>Michael Fischer's ][gs tech. reference book.  What does this error
>mean and how can it be gotten around.  I disable my ProDOS 8 write
>protect CDA, but I can't save any files (including the buffer) to
>disk.  Dave Whitney, what do you think?

  $56 is a bad buffer address.  At a guess, this would be an attempt to set a
buffer at an address that isn't on a page boundary, or at an address that is
already in use by the system.  You'd expect to see this generated by a SETBUF
call, which is done to reassign a file to a different buffer.

  Just guessing, I'd vote for 1) page boundary error, 2) due to a corrupt
download of your Zlink software   (If I understood what you're doing,
correctly, that is.)

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!dkl
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!dkl@nosc.mil
INET: dkl@pro-houston.cts.com

martyp@pnet02.gryphon.com (Martin Peckham) (11/15/89)

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
>Okay, just checking out a new (well, new to my archive) version of Zlink
>and trying to download more utilities from a new BBS (two birds with one
>stone)...
>
>Anyway, I keep getting ProDOS error $56.  This is not defined in
>Michael Fischer's ][gs tech. reference book.  What does this error
>mean and how can it be gotten around.  I disable my ProDOS 8 write
>protect CDA, but I can't save any files (including the buffer) to
>disk.  Dave Whitney, what do you think?

According to some old doc's of mine, error $56 is "Bad Buffer Address". This
usually means that a file is being loaded into an area of memory that is
already being used or ProDOS thinks it is already allocated to some other
file. Hope this helps.

AMERICA ONLINE: martyp6
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!martyp
INET: martyp@pnet02.gryphon.com

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (11/16/89)

}
}-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
}
}    Todd A. Bakal                              I believe in the Cubs,
}    U of M Apple User's Group                  Bo's national championship
}    Ann Arbor, Michigan                        chances, and my Apple ][gs.
}
}    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu          FTP: 35.1.1.43
}    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal    BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

Whipping out my trusty "Beneath Apple ProDOS (Quality Software)", I quote:

$56	The address of the I/O file buffer passed to OPEN or
	SET_BUF is invalid.  The buffer overlaps a previously
	assigned buffer, memory below $200, or ProDOS itself.
	The buffer must be in the caller's memory, and all four
	of its pages must be marked free in the Systems Global
	Page memory bit map.

end quote.

In other words, the 'address of file buffer' in an OPEN, GET_BUF or SET_BUF
MLI call is in conflict with the Systems Global Page memory bit map.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"