[net.movies] Buckaroo Banzai times three

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (12/03/84)

Well, Mr. B. Banzai and his merry band of new wave musicians and particle
physicists is out again at several cities... and after my third sitting, I
still find it one of the best movies of the years.

You've heard me yack about this all year.  However, I took two people with
me (my parents -- they heard an excellent review on ALL THINGS CONSIDERED),
without telling them anything about the plot.  I just told them it was
pretty fragmented and could be somewhat confusing.

Well, they loved the movie -- Dad thought it was probably a good successor
for the saturday matinees of the past (I remember a kid behind me whispering
"Watch out, Buckaroo!" behind me) -- and neither of them thought it
confusing.  They suggested that, being forewarned, they had payed closer
attention than they usually do, and that made all the difference.

So, if you've been scared away from this movie due to claims that it is
incomprehensible -- take heart.  You're missing one heck of a treat in this
movie.

				Any opposing views may simply go to hell.

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (12/04/84)

In article <> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>So, if you've been scared away from this movie due to claims that it is
>incomprehensible -- take heart.  You're missing one heck of a treat in this
>movie.

After having hung on for who knows how long waiting for it to wander into the
Maul cinema, I gotta agree. If anything, the strong sense that I had is that
the script writers themselves had great fun writing the thing, the actors
really enjoyed themselves, and then the studio people saw the rough cuts and
laid a brick, sending some poor hapless smurf scurrying into the editing room
with instructions to make it more linear. Perhaps if they'd adopted the
"Repo Man" school of PostModern editing (Pastiche is the name of the game,
don't be afraid to *let* the movie unroll in the little world it has created
for itself), this would have been truly transcendant.

A diamond in the rough, definitely. ANy film that opens with a Marvin Gaye
quote in the middle of a desert test *can't* be all bad, niet waar?

Greg