[comp.sys.apple] Modem Deals

UD161872@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Joe Carlin) (11/05/89)

One note should be added to people not familiar with external modems.  If
you have a GS, go external.  All you have to buy extra is the cable
(which is anywhere from $9.95 to $25, but the $20 are usually excellent
quality and most sufficient), and if your term program locks on you, or if
you want to switch while online, it's a ton easier with e|ternal than
internal.  In fact, I've reset the RAM disk on my Apple IIGS while online,
then go back to ProTERM and the remote system didn't know anything happened
(sans the short period it took to reformat the RAM disk), but that requires a
open-apple-option-control-reset, which clears almost anything important in
memory, turns every slot on and off and all that good stuff, but my external
stmll stayed online.  You can reboot, quit a program, and if the software
shuts slot 2 (or whatever slot your modem is in) off, an internal would
disconnect, so that's one thing even I didn't know until I bought my external.
Also, external modems$are$almost always supported witl GS freeware, which
is rare with internals.

Joe Carlin
"FREE SOUTH AFRICA"

scorpio@pro-harvest.cts.com (Robert Scorpio) (11/16/89)

Ah, but with an internal modem, if you have a //e you do not need to buy a
card.  Also, an internal modem saves a bit of desk space.. not much, but when
you've got a decked out GS system with a harddrive and a couple of floppy
drives, not to mention about three disk cases full of stuff...

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (11/16/89)

In article <4857.apple.net.info-apple@pro-harvest> scorpio@pro-harvest.cts.com (Robert Scorpio) writes:
>Ah, but with an internal modem, if you have a //e you do not need to buy a
>card.

The only question is whether the card you do have to buy includes a modem
or not.  A general-purpose serial interface card can be used for other
things, such as driving printers, but an internal modem card generally
cannot.

>Also, an internal modem saves a bit of desk space..

Most people I know put their external modems under the telephone set.