[comp.sys.apple] Converting sound files, purging memory

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (11/14/89)

Does anyone know of a utility to convert IIGS binary sound files to ASIF or
FutureSound format?   I used to have a SuperSonic digitizer but sold it and
am planning on buying used FutureSound board.  I have a number of sound
files I created with my SuperSonic, but they are in straight binary format.
I have downloaded the FutureSound demo from America Online to play with until
I get my FutureSound and it won't read in any of my old files.  What I would
like to find is an NDA that could convert the files, or a separate application,
or at the least, information on what needs to be done to convert the files so
I could write my own utility.

In a related vein, how do you get the FutureSound software to save in ASIF
format?  I can only seem to get the demo to save in FutureSound format.

Also, I know that AE's SonicBlaster can read in my binary sound files because
I also have the SonicBlaster demo from America Online, but I opted for the
FutureSound because I've heard that the SonicBlaster is not compatable
with some software (e.g., Instant Synthesizer).  Can anyone verify this?

Sorry, one more question.  Is anyone running the FutureSound software under
GSOS 5.0?  The demo I have does some flaky things.  Sometimes, after playing
around with a sound, the menus get all screwed up.  They still work (by
moving the cursor to the right position) but you can't read them.  The text
is replaced with garbage.  Also, when I exit, GSOS sometimes hangs (it also
hangs sometimes when I exit the SonicBlaster demo).  Maybe I need to run the
memory purging program I've read about here that is needed by DeluxePaint II?
Where can I get that?

Thanks for any info,
Ray

P.S. - If you are a FutureSound or SonicBlaster owner/user, I have some other
questions that I hate to tie up the net with.  If you are willing to correspond
with me and help me answer these questions, please send me email.

Ray Rankins          |  (518) 387-7340  | INTERNET: rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |  (518) 583-3320  | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |                  | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>

In article <3828@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) writes:
>.... Is anyone running the FutureSound software under
>GSOS 5.0?  The demo I have does some flaky things.  Sometimes, after playing
>around with a sound, the menus get all screwed up.

I think I found the answer to my question.  I was using the deskpic.init
program to put a neat picture of Bugs Bunny on my desktop.  I got rid of it
and didn't seem to have anymore problems with the FutureSound demo.  I think
it may have also been causing some other strange problems as well.  Anyone
else notice any strange behavior with this init?  Maybe it is tramping on
some important memory locations or something?

BTW:  I still would like to know where to get that memory purging utility.

Ray
---

Ray Rankins          |  (518) 387-7340  | INTERNET: rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |  (518) 583-3320  | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |                  | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>

SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET (11/15/89)

I too would be interested in a program to do converting... For example a
program to convert files from a DiversiTune format to a Music Studio
format to an ACER format or any other music formats out there. This would
really help out as I have numerous sound files digitized by programs I don't
own but would like to listen to... Any suggestions?
                                                  ...Sal

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (11/16/89)

In article <3838@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) writes:
>I think I found the answer to my question.  I was using the deskpic.init
>it may have also been causing some other strange problems as well.  Anyone
>else notice any strange behavior with this init?  Maybe it is tramping on
>some important memory locations or something?

Sorry, it wasn't the desktop.init.  I was playing around last night
with the FutureSound demo and it monkeyed up when I selected the
About FutureSound option in the apple menu.  I also noted that it said
it was a beta release, which would explain things.

I still have been noticing some flaky behavior with System 5.0 though (like
the Icon Info selection hanging the system).  Unfortunately, I haven't been
documenting what was going on at the times that the system hangs.  When I
do, I'll post it and hopefully someone can help me diagnose the problems.

Ray
---