[comp.sys.apple] To change the subject... :-)

sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com (The RainForest BBS) (11/16/89)

I'd like to reccomend a new book for everyone to read. It's called THE
CUCKOO'S EGG by Clifford Stoll. It's an intriguing TRUE story of his following
the electronic "trail" of a spy in Germany as that spy spent almost two years
waltzing through all the backdoors and holes in UNIX and VMS systems in
computers in Universities and on military locations as well as defense
contractors and computer designers locations.

While not specifically an Apple topic, I feel that the "hacker" <in the old
sense, not the pirate sense> in all of us can appreciate and enjoy the
electronic chase as well as the techiniques used.

Enjoy!
/steve

+===========================================================================+
| UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider               COMPU$ERVE : 75166,2544 |
| ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!sschneider@nosc.mil      GENIE      : sschneider |
| INET: sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com             APLINK.PE  : <shrug>    |
| The RainForest @ 305-434-4927 / PO Box 841422, Pembroke Pines, Fl,  33084 |
+===========================================================================+

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (11/16/89)

In article <8911160925.AA29302@trout.nosc.mil> sschneider@pro-exchange.cts.com (The RainForest BBS) writes:
>I'd like to reccomend a new book for everyone to read. It's called THE
>CUCKOO'S EGG by Clifford Stoll. It's an intriguing TRUE story of his following
[stuff deleted]

I'd recommend this book as well, and I haven't even read it yet.  I have,
however, met Clifford Stoll and heard him speak on this topic a few times
when I used to work for the National Computer Security Center.  He is a very
entertaining speaker, and if his book is anywhere near as good as his
talks, it too should be very entertaining.

Now, if I could just find it somewhere.  Anyone know any bookstore chains
carrying it?

Ray
---

Ray Rankins          |  (518) 387-7340  | INTERNET: rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |  (518) 583-3320  | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |                  | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>