[comp.sys.apple] PC-DOS on the Apple IIGS using PC Transporter

danr@pro-tcc.cts.com (Dan Roberts) (11/14/89)

Help!

I have recently installed a PCT on my Apple IIGS. Normally I boot from a hard
disk in slot 7 using System 5.0.2. I have been unable to sucessfully turn on
the PC TRansporter in this situation.

When I do a cold shutdown and boot from a 3.5 with the AE software on it
everything seems to work fine.

I have not tested everything yet but at least the Op system comes up and
SimCity mostly runs (Won't see the mouse and has a problem with certian keys
but playable)

Hardware is Apple IIGS with the following.
Slot one is empty-Port 1 has IW2
Slot two has Parl Printer card Port 2 has Hayes Compt modem
Slots 3,4,5 are empty. Mouse and 3.5 and 5.25 disks are plugged into
appropriate ports.
Slot 6 has the PCT which has attached to it another Apple 3.5 Drive
Slot 7 has a CMS SCSI card with 2 CMS hard drives on it.
Aux Mem slot has 1.5 Meg AE GSRam card
Also attached is sound card from hyperstudio.

Dan

Daniel Roberts            Proline: danr@pro-tcc
50 East Mound Street      CI$:     71271,1437
Columbus OH 43215         INET:    danr@pro-tcc.cts.com
                          UUCP:    crash!pnet01!pro-tcc!danr

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (11/16/89)

>I have recently installed a PCT on my Apple IIGS. Normally I boot from a hard
>disk in slot 7 using System 5.0.2. I have been unable to sucessfully turn on
>the PC TRansporter in this situation.

>When I do a cold shutdown and boot from a 3.5 with the AE software on it
>everything seems to work fine.

>I have not tested everything yet but at least the Op system comes up and
>SimCity mostly runs (Won't see the mouse and has a problem with certian keys
>but playable)
[...other stuff deleted]

I have very much the same setup as you, and have no problem with the PCT.
Only one thing you might be doing wrong; you mentioned that you have the 3.5"
and 5.25" drives hooked up to the appropriate ports.  That means that the GS
sees the 5.25" drives in slot 6, even though it is daisy chained from slot 5.
Try setting your Control Panel to Your Card for slot 6 in the slot
assignments.  You can't use the Apple type 5.25" drives this way, but its the
best way of setting things up that I can think of.

Apple said that the IIgs can use 128 devices when it was first released.  When
are they going to make good on that promise.  Or have I just been missing
something for all these years?  I've got 7 disk devices and can use only 5 at
a time, depending on the Control Panel settings.  Is there a way around this
anyone?

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com

danr@pro-tcc.cts.com (Dan Roberts) (11/17/89)

Thank you for the replies I've recd so far on this. I will respond via E-mail
when I get a chance to try all the suggestions.

I wanted to post this note to say that SIMCity works with the mouse if the
operator remembers to install the MSMouse SYS. Basicly there are two drivers
needed. One from the AE ProDos Disks and one from the AE MSDos disks and I had
only installed one of them.

In article <13649.apple.net@pro-sol> lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) writes:

>Apple said that the IIgs can use 128 devices when it was first released.  When
>are they going to make good on that promise.  Or have I just been missing
>something for all these years?  I've got 7 disk devices and can use only 5 at
>a time, depending on the Control Panel settings.  Is there a way around this
>anyone?
>
>lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com

I thought this was laid to rest in InCider or A+ a couple of years ago.

While it is true that the SmartPort firmware can theoretically handle up to 127
devices in the built-in SmartPort chain, the power supply to the computer can't
possibly handle that many 3.5" drives (or anything else, for that matter).  In
addition, ProDOS 8 can only handle 2 devices per slot (which makes a maximum
possible mapping of 14 devices, unless you rewrite ProDOS 8 and break everyone),
which further limits things.

This is the same kind of "not making good on the promise" as it is when you
realize that today nuclear holocaust is "theoretically allowed for", but we
haven't done that yet, either.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."