[comp.sys.apple] Hyperstudio

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (02/09/89)

  HyperStudio got such a good review in Call-A.P.P.L.E. that I decided
to order it.  Unfortunately, TechAlliance said it was on backorder
(they said they expect some in on Friday, but that shipment alone would
not be sufficient to fulfill their backlog of orders.  They're charging
$77.97 + shipping.  List is $129.
  Some other mail order places I called said that they don't have it yet.
One said that it hadn't been released.
  Has anyone gotten it yet?  Any first impressions?  Anyone with a
recommendation of where to order it from?

Alan H. Stein    Department of Mathematics
The University of Connecticut at Waterbury
32 Hillside Avenue, Waterbury, CT 06710
(203) 757-1231

Internet: stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
BITNET:   STEIN@UCONNVM
UUCP:    {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe mcvax} !UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
Compu$erve: 71545,1500       Genie:  ah.stein

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (11/14/89)

From article <21802@gryphon.COM>, by lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez):
> Yes; Roger Wagner is now absolved of all wrongdoing; Hyperstudio is finally
> finished.  I got my revised copy in the mail.  I haven't finished exploring it
> yet; but so far it works great.

I got my update as well.

> The only problem is trying to figure out how to update the disks.  SIX pages
> of explanation when only ONE PARAGRAPH would have been sufficient.  I kept
> thinking there must be something tricky to this...
>
> Forget the 6 pages and do this.
> [...].  That's it (toss those docs)...  This is an example of poor
> documentation taken to an EXTREME!

Perhaps this should be seen from another angle.  This really isn't "poor"
documentation at all.  If one approaches it from the innocent user.  Most
people "out there" have never heard of ShrinkIt.  Many have never heard of
compression.  The point is: If I was a HS owner and I got four disks in the
package, and RWP sent me one to fix it, I would be confused to start with.
Then if the instructions said copy this here, delete that there and "unpack"
that on each disk.... I would be really confused.

Granted, I was looking for some thing "tricky" and it was all a piece of
cake.  But I still remember, not too many years ago, when I needed
step-by-step instructions just like was provided.
It would have been nice if they had said "for all you advanced ShrinkIt
users, turn to page 4 and read the one paragraph there....", but it wasn't
really that bad to have to wade through it all.  Besides, the instructions
really were simple to follow and they did work....   B-)

> BTW, when the Hyperstudio UPdate disk is booted, Shrink-it pops up.  Here is a
> case of Andy's program being commercially used; saving Roger Wagner hundreds
> of disks.
             Yay, Shrinkit!!   I sure hope Andy got something for that,
(more than just "more exposure").

> Lynda

Phil

|   I heard some where IBM stood for "I've Been Mugged"...  |
|  Phil Lindberg	      snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| UUCP: ..!uunet!bcstec!tahoma!prl3546    Renton, WA 98056  |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not   |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	    |

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (11/17/89)

In article <784@tahoma.UUCP>, prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) writes:

>>BTW, when the Hyperstudio UPdate disk is booted, Shrink-it pops up.  Here is a
>>case of Andy's program being commercially used; saving Roger Wagner hundreds
>>of disks.

> Yay, Shrinkit!!   I sure hope Andy got something for that,
> (more than just "more exposure").

Actually, Roger asked me if they could ship HyperStudio with ShrinkIt on it,
and I said yes.  I asked for 2 copies of HyperStudio to be send to L&L.  I've
since been criticized for not asking for mega-bucks for Roger to license
ShrinkIt.  I can't win either way... sigh.

> Phil

andy

--
Andy Nicholas             GEnie, AM-Online: shrinkit
Box 435, Moravian College       CompuServe: 70771,2615