[comp.sys.apple] GS Power Supply

evan@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Evan Ron Aussenberg) (10/21/89)

After 1 year of light work, my IIgs (1.25meg, 3.5, 5.25) has begun to
stop booting.  I think it's the power supply since it's making oodles
of power supply noises, especially durring disk access (when it does
actually boot).  Or, if it starts to do disk access, the screen will fade
and sometimes the computer will seemingly shut off with the light on the
cpu box going out.  Also, durring the times it won't boot, the light flickers
then remains off.  Once I got an 00FF system error.  Any self checks
(disk based and rom based) turn out fine (if the computer manages not to
shut off).

I've seen people post here about their gs power problems and would like to
hear if they did something OTHER than spend over $150 dollars for a power
supply.  Does anyone know if Sun-Remarketing is reselling them?  I'll have
to pick up a ComputerShopper (magazine) this weekend.  Wish I could buy
the Vulcan or InnerDrive.

Evan

            /                                                    \
           /     evan@unix.cis.pitt.edu / evan@Pittvms.BITNET     \
          /________________________________________________________\

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broadrick Douglas) (11/13/89)

   Recently, my power supply (I'm pretty sure it's my power supply) has been
acting weird.  When I first boot up and for the first few minutes after, the
screen will dim each time it goes to the disk (especially when it access my
5.25 inch disks).  After it warms up it's ok but it keeps getting worse and
worse.  One time, the system crashed when it tried to access a 5.25 inch drive.
I had to turn the computer off and on again.  Has anyone else had this problem?
In my GS I've got:

Apple IIGS with 1.25 Megs
Transwarp GS
Epic Classic II
SS stereo card
SS digitizer
Disk II controller card

I've got a System Saver GS also.

I guess it gives me a good reason to get an AI Inner Drive  :)

evan@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Evan Ron Aussenberg) (11/13/89)

In article <1989Nov12.194653.20704@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> cbdougla@uokmax.UUCP (Collin Broadrick Douglas) writes:

>   Recently, my power supply (I'm pretty sure it's my power supply) has been
>acting weird.  When I first boot up and for the first few minutes after, the
>screen will dim each time it goes to the disk (especially when it access my
>5.25 inch disks).  After it warms up it's ok but it keeps getting worse and
>worse.  One time, the system crashed when it tried to access a 5.25 inch drive.
>I had to turn the computer off and on again.  Has anyone else had this problem?

>I guess it gives me a good reason to get an AI Inner Drive  :)

Yes, a good reason... I wish my wallet agreed.  My power supply on my GS
is going too.  Same symptoms; dimming screen, power supply buzzing noises...
I've disconected my 5.25.

I called AE, but, they do not make a GS power supply replacement.  I have
not had a chance to call Sun Remarketing yet.  One difference in my setup
is that aside from my 1.25meg Apple Ram card, I do NOT have any other cards
installed.  You may want to try running your system without some of those
cards you listed in your original post.

	-Evan / evan@unix.cis.pitt.edu

TE880714%STUDTEW.UFSIA.AC.BE@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Stef Bracke) (11/17/89)

Like Collin B. Douglas and Evan, I had also troubles with my power supply.
-> The screen dimmed from time to time, the 3'5'' drive would hang, enz...

The tought of bringing my motherboard back to the dealer and paying
half the price of a new Apple //GS (or about 1100$) made me think||| (for once)
So, I took the hood of the console and took the powersupply out.
Then I shook it very gently. Result: a happy spinning drive and
a clear view| Maybe some component got angry and needed rock 'n rolling...

         Hope it works for you too,

                     Stef Bracke
                     Antwerp, Belgium
PS:Sorry for my English.