[comp.sys.apple] Fonts+Mice

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/14/89)

     Is there a way to convert GS fonts to Mac fonts?  I've got some fonts
that I'd like to convert over to a suite-mate's Mac+.  Is there an 'easy' way
to do this?  His machine has no modem, but there are Macs I can use that hook
up to Unix.  I have an almost full 800k disk of fonts that I'd like to convert.
     Another quick question: is it possible to convert the plug on a Mac+
mouse (e.g. rewiring) to ADB format?
     Thanks for anything!

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu

lunatic@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Lunatic) (11/16/89)

(Whew!  Now that I've caught up with everything I can FINALLY begin to
 post something!)

In article <113300152@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>     Is there a way to convert GS fonts to Mac fonts?

That's a switch!  Most (if not all) of the font conversion efforts going
on in the Apple II/Macintosh world are centered around going from Mac
to GS format.  Even that is not an easy task.  A question I would ask
you is WHY?  The only fonts I can think of on the GS that have been
commercially released that were not available on the Mac first are the
ones in StyleWare's old Font Library.  Any others were probably created
by someone using one of the finally available GS font editors (I'm in
the process of making a few, myself).  A good person to contact on any
and all GS font questions is Mark Collins, A2.MARK.C on GEnie.  He is
currently the official IIGS "font librarian," as it is.  He keeps an
up to date collection of all the commercially and publically available
fonts for the GS and assigns font family numbers to anyone who wishes
to create a new font. (He gave a range of 20 font numbers that are mine
and MINE ALONE! :)  I don't have his US Mail address on hand, but if
you wish I can mail it to you, or post it, if others are interested. I'm
sure he can answer any questions about whether a IIGS font was originally
a Macintosh font, and therefore already available in Mac format.

>							Ken.
>						   ken-b@uiuc.edu

  ___________                         ARPA: lunatic@uscsb.UCSC.EDU        /
    ________/                         Internet: lunatic%ucscb@ucscc.edu  /
      ____//           _  ___     _   UUCP: ...!ucscc!ucscb!lunatic     /
     ___///__ {_} |\| /-\  |  ][ {_   GEnie: L.BRUCE  (Lunatic Bruce)  /
    __________________________________________________________________/  (:

lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) (11/17/89)

Ken-b@uiuc.edu writes:

>Is there a way to convert GS fonts to Mac fonts? I've got some fonts
>that I'd like to convert over to a suite-mate's Mac+.

Hah!  I had to re-read this twice; could this be for real?  There are a
million and one mac fonts; seems like they're always converting the Mac ones
to the GS.

I would assume it is possible; perhaps with Apple File Exchange (though I
doubt AFE works on a Mac+).

Lynda

Thanks for my laugh for the day!

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/18/89)

     I knew that most GS fonts were converted, just that I have a few that
my friend could try.  I'm just a curious hacker, I guess.
     I re-read my note, and laughed myself.  I didn't notice how backwards my
note was.

Someone (sory, forgot to copy over) said:
>Thanks for my laugh for the day!

    You're welcome!  :->
    BTW, thanks for the response!  I'll just play around with them and find out
what happends.

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu