[comp.sys.apple] Legal subdirectory size under System 5.0.2

dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) (11/14/89)

  The other day I was copying stuff into a folder with Prosel-16 (v8.0).  After
about 180 or some files, Prosel told me the subdirectory was too big and quit.
The subdirectory was 12 blocks long.
  I launched the finder and tried to copy the files into the folder and it
worked. All 227 files got into one folder.  I quit back to Prosel.  The
directory was now 18 blocks long,  but if I tried to cat the directory, Prosel
told me the directory was too big.
  Seems like Prosel-16 doesn't like directories larger than 12 blocks.  Anyone
know why this is?  What is the actual limit for number of files in a
directory under System 5.0.2?
  Thanks.

Dave
dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (11/14/89)

dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) writes:
>   The other day I was copying stuff into a folder with Prosel-16 (v8.0).  After
> about 180 or some files, Prosel told me the subdirectory was too big and quit.
> The subdirectory was 12 blocks long.
>   I launched the finder and tried to copy the files into the folder and it
> worked. All 227 files got into one folder.  I quit back to Prosel.  The
> directory was now 18 blocks long,  but if I tried to cat the directory, Prosel
> told me the directory was too big.
>   Seems like Prosel-16 doesn't like directories larger than 12 blocks.  Anyone
> know why this is?  What is the actual limit for number of files in a
> directory under System 5.0.2?
>   Thanks.

  I believe that in the ProSEL 16 manual it says it can only handle a
certain number of files in a subdirectory.  Not that ProDOS can't
handle it, just that the ProSEL Utilities can't.

> Dave
> dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

		-Greg T.

rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (Rich Sims) (11/15/89)

Comment to message from: gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!ctrsol!sdsu!polyslo!cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu!dhom@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (David Hom)

> Seems like Prosel-16 doesn't like directories larger than 12 blocks.  Anyone
> know why this is?

Yes, Glen Bredon knows!  (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Actually, although I don't have/use the same version of Prosel, the older
versions had a 204 file limit for directory sorts, copies, deletes, etc.  The
limit was a Prosel limitation, not part of the O/S.

lunatic@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Lunatic) (11/16/89)

In article <YZM2QgW00Xc3Q0uZNN@andrew.cmu.edu> gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:
>dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) writes:
>>  The other day I was copying stuff into a folder with Prosel-16 (v8.0). After
>>about 180 or some files, Prosel told me the subdirectory was too big and quit.
>>The subdirectory was 12 blocks long.
>>  I launched the finder and tried to copy the files into the folder and it
>>worked. All 227 files got into one folder.  I quit back to Prosel.  The
>>directory was now 18 blocks long, but if I tried to cat the directory, Prosel
>>told me the directory was too big.
>>  Seems like Prosel-16 doesn't like directories larger than 12 blocks.  Anyone
>>know why this is?  What is the actual limit for number of files in a
>>directory under System 5.0.2?
>>  Thanks.
>
>  I believe that in the ProSEL 16 manual it says it can only handle a
>certain number of files in a subdirectory.  Not that ProDOS can't
>handle it, just that the ProSEL Utilities can't.

From "BASIC Programming with ProDOS," (c) Apple Computer, Inc., 1984
p. 42:

 Directory File Size
 -------------------
 The number of files that fit into a directory other than a volume
 directory is limited only by the amount of space on the disk.  The size
 of a directory file is determined by the number of files it contains.

 The first block of disk space used by a directory can hold up to
 12 files.  Each subsequent block used by a directory can hold up to
 13 files. Thus a directory with 27 files in it is three blocks long
 (12 files in first block, 13 in second block, 2 in third block).

"volume," or "root" directories are limited to 51 files.

   ][ have 244 files in my *:System:Fonts: directory on my hard
disk, making the directory itself 18 blocks in size.  I copied them
to there using the Finder under System 5.0.2, and I can open the folder
and access all of them (albeit slowly) while in Finder.
   ___
    |he limit on the number of files in a directory under Prosel (204?)
is based on Prosel's inability to show more than a certain number of
files on the screen at the same time during copying, deleting, sorting,
etc. operations.  Copy II Plus also has a limit, which I believe is 155.
WARNING: Do not try to alphabetically sort more than this number of
files in a single directory under Copy II Plus!  It will not complain
when asked to sort the directory, but you will find that all the files
past the limit in the original (unsorted) directory have disappeared.
Many other applications and utilities have simmilar limits.  I would
suggest that everyone keeps a maximum of 200 files in any directory
unless it is absolutely necessary (such as in the case of a Fonts
directory) until programs are available that can access more.  BTW:
The StandardFile dialog of any GS destop program CAN access more than
Prosel can, but I haven't reached its limit yet, if any, so I don't
know exactly HOW many more.

>> Dave
>> dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu
>
>		-Greg T.

  ___________                         ARPA: lunatic@uscsb.UCSC.EDU        /
    ________/                         Internet: lunatic%ucscb@ucscc.edu  /
      ____//           _  ___     _   UUCP: ...!ucscc!ucscb!lunatic     /
     ___///__ {_} |\| /-\  |  ][ {_   GEnie: L.BRUCE  (Lunatic Bruce)  /
    __________________________________________________________________/  (:

blochowi@rt3.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) (11/17/89)

In article <5811@lindy.Stanford.EDU> lunatic@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Lunatic) writes:
> [Deleted included articles]
> [Also deleted quote from Apple manual indicating that directories are
>  limited to available disk space]
>   ][ have 244 files in my *:System:Fonts: directory on my hard
>disk, making the directory itself 18 blocks in size.  I copied them
>to there using the Finder under System 5.0.2, and I can open the folder
>and access all of them (albeit slowly) while in Finder.

	It seems that the Finder redraws ALL of the files when using a list
format (View by Name, Date, whatever). If I remember right, it's fairly easy
to find the bounding rect for a region - couldn't the Finderites (name used
by someone from Apple...) just get the bounding rect for the intersection of
the visible and update regions and check to see if the item in question is
within that rect? I would think that it'd be cheaper to do it that way than
to let QD ][ handle the clipping - and QD ][ would still be responsible for
things like wierd overlaps, etc. With a large number of items, the Finder
scrolls unbearably slowly, even with a TransWarp GS...

> [Deleted warnings about limits related to memory, etc.]
>The StandardFile dialog of any GS destop program CAN access more than
>Prosel can, but I haven't reached its limit yet, if any, so I don't
>know exactly HOW many more.

	According to the beta draft of the Toolbox Ref vol 3, Standard File
can now handle:
	* A total of 13,107 files, with a total of up to 64kb of name strings,
can reside in a single folder.
	* A filename can now contain up to 253 characters.
	* A pathname can now contain up to 508 characters.

	These seem like reasonable limits ;) Btw, that was a direct quote, as
"Jason's Incredibly Perfect Style Guide" is not yet complete, and Apple's
style guide is. :) I was just wondering - why is it that so often Apple's
numeric limits are weird? I can understand the 253 and 508 char limits, but
13,107 doesn't seem to be on any boundaries...

--
      Jason Blochowiak - blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.uucp
       "Education, like neurosis, begins at home." - Milton R. Sapirstein

In article <3760@puff.cs.wisc.edu> blochowi@rt3.cs.wisc.edu (Jason Blochowiak) writes:
>	According to the beta draft of the Toolbox Ref vol 3, Standard File
>can now handle:
>	* A total of 13,107 files, with a total of up to 64kb of name strings,
>can reside in a single folder.
>
>	These seem like reasonable limits ;) Btw, that was a direct quote, as
>"Jason's Incredibly Perfect Style Guide" is not yet complete, and Apple's
>style guide is. :) I was just wondering - why is it that so often Apple's
>numeric limits are weird? I can understand the 253 and 508 char limits, but
>13,107 doesn't seem to be on any boundaries...
>
>      Jason Blochowiak - blochowi@garfield.cs.wisc.edu or jason@madnix.uucp
>       "Education, like neurosis, begins at home." - Milton R. Sapirstein

Multiply 13,107 by 5 and see what you get.  Adding the fact that the List
Manager is invovled, the rest is left as an exercise to the reader.  :)

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."

edward@pro-harvest.cts.COM (Edward Floden) (11/20/89)

> The StandardFile dialog of any GS destop program CAN access more than
> ProSel can, but I haven't reached its limit yet, if any, so I don't
> know exactly HOW many more.

The limit is at least 1000 files. I occasionally use the Finder for file
maintenance on my ProLine system: some of the message topics (info-apple, for
one) have the one thousand most recent messages in them. The Finder is the
-only- utility that I have which can adequately deal with such a large
quantity of files in one directory.

(ProLine has a UNIX-like interface, but just try copying a few hundred
messages by entering the file names on a command line!)

:Edward

UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!edward                  ProLine: edward@pro-harvest
ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!edward@nosc.mil      CIS: 73220.1624@compuserve.com
INET: edward@pro-harvest.cts.com                   America Online: EdwardF4