[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS 5.0

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (05/31/89)

I am very excited about GS/OS 5.0

Has there been any news recently about a more specific date of release
than "sometime this summer?"

jeremy mereness
=============
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpanet)
r746jm7e@CMCCVB (vax.... Bitnet)

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (07/14/89)

I'm just dropping my thoughts onto the net about GS/OS 5.0 (beta) that I just
got to try out.  THIS OS IS N*I*C*E!  Just about everything about the gs is
speeded up several times.  Boot time is a bit slower from a hard disk, but I
suppose that is because of a lack of an Apple SCSI card (I'll have to call
First Class Peripherials to see if they plan a new driver [are you seeing this
1st Class Periphs?]).  AppleWorks GS is actually usable!  My AppleWorks
Classic doesn't seem to want to work after working with another P8 program (It
hangs, but maybe that's due to MacroWorks?).  My worst complaint is that
SoftSwitch seems to think that every program is a P16 program, and won't save
anything to memory (I wish a GS/OS saving version of the program were
available).  However, switching back to Finder from a P8 program is near as
fast as from a GS/OS program.  (please excuse the sloppy writing, it's past my
bedtime)  :)
                                        Laer

stowekeller@pro-carolina.cts.com (Stowe Keller) (08/09/89)

Paul Stenquist on Compuserve reported a problem which this evening I too
experienced with System 5.0: in the Finder, dragging around a couple of
folders at once and setting them down somewhere (and it may or may not involve
dropping them into another folder) can result in having those folders get
deleted.  I'm obviously not enthusiastic about trying to recreate this problem
alot, because I have had to repeatedly backup/restore my system and re-install
System 5.0 about half a dozen times now and I still can't get it to work
reliably (and YES, I'M USING APPLE'S INSTALLER!!!).  This is insane!  When I
lost those dozen folders, it made my hard disk unbootable because it blew
away the ProDOS file, the SYSTEM folder, and several other system-critical
directories.  I am so fed up with all this the headaches I've had with 5.0
I'm seriously considering going back to 4.0 for a few months or until someone
can convince that Apple has straightened out these problems.

        Boy, do I wish I got paid by the hour to beta-test Apple's software,
I'd be in much better financial shape now!

Stowe Keller                            Author of ProDOS8 LIST utility
CompuServe: 71540,725       GEnie: SKELLER       BIX: stowekeller
UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!stowekeller
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!stowekeller@nosc.mil
INET: stowekeller@pro-carolina.cts.com

ptrepan1@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (pat trepanier) (11/17/89)

I went to the authorized apple dealer yesterday and asked to get the new 5.02
version of GS/OS and the salesman said the he didn't know anything about the
upgrade, so I am wondering when the apple dealers are suppose to get the new
version or what the deal on the new version is.

	Pat
	ptrepan1@ub.D.UMN.EDU

lunatic@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Lunatic) (11/19/89)

In article <3036@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> ptrepan1@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (pat trepanier) writes:
>I went to the authorized apple dealer yesterday and asked to get the new 5.02
>version of GS/OS and the salesman said the he didn't know anything about the
>upgrade, so I am wondering when the apple dealers are suppose to get the new
>version or what the deal on the new version is.

   ___
    |his sounds exactly like the situation everyone had when the original
GS/OS 5.0 was released.  (Insert usual comment about dealers getting in Mac
system software the day it's released.)  Is anything being done to get as
prompt service with GS/OS updates as with HFS ones?

>	Pat
>	ptrepan1@ub.D.UMN.EDU

  ___________                         ARPA: lunatic@uscsb.UCSC.EDU        /
    ________/                         Internet: lunatic%ucscb@ucscc.edu  /
      ____//           _  ___     _   UUCP: ...!ucscc!ucscb!lunatic     /
     ___///__ {_} |\| /-\  |  ][ {_   GEnie: L.BRUCE  (Lunatic Bruce)  /
    __________________________________________________________________/  (:

In article <5883@lindy.Stanford.EDU> lunatic@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Lunatic) writes:

>ptrepan1@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (pat trepanier) writes:
>>I went to the authorized apple dealer yesterday and asked to get the new 5.02
>>version of GS/OS and the salesman said the he didn't know anything about the
>>upgrade, so I am wondering when the apple dealers are suppose to get the new
>>version or what the deal on the new version is.
>>
>   ___
>    |his sounds exactly like the situation everyone had when the original
>GS/OS 5.0 was released.  (Insert usual comment about dealers getting in Mac
>system software the day it's released.)  Is anything being done to get as
>prompt service with GS/OS updates as with HFS ones?
>
>>	ptrepan1@ub.D.UMN.EDU
>  ___________                         ARPA: lunatic@uscsb.UCSC.EDU        /

I've said this before, but it apparently bears repetition.

5.0.2 went in a dealer mailing to all dealers in early November.  Some of the
dealers may not have it yet.  It did go final a while back, but like
(hopefully) all versions of the System Software for *any* platform, developers
get it a few weeks early for compatibility testing.

If it's not there by the end of the month, ask your dealer to look again.  It
will arrive with a set of coupons good for mailing in your original 5.0 disks
and getting mailed a set of 5.0.2 masters, free.  It's a real upgrade program
for all people who have 5.0 originals from Apple; those who don't can probably
get updated the same way they got 5.0.

It's also available for downloading on commercial services; that mailing went
through licensing before the dealer mailing was completed.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."