[comp.sys.apple] Removable Hard Drives

philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) (11/13/89)

Has anyone come up with a driver to allow a Syquest based removable to work
with a GS? If so could you please E-mail it.Thank's.

   Philip McDunnough    ->philip@utstat.toronto.edu
:   University of Toronto
:   [my opinions.]

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (11/19/89)

In article <7214.infoapple.net@pro-generic> philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>Has anyone come up with a driver to allow a Syquest based removable to work
>with a GS? If so could you please E-mail it.Thank's.

The Syquest is a standard SCSI drive so it formats fine with the Advanced
Disk Utility.  The disks can't be dismounted and mounted without restarting,
though.  CMS, and AMR have their own SCSI cards that have drivers for online
mounting and dismounting.  I don't know if there is a problem with this and
the Apple SCSI card.

I formatted a CMS drive with no problem using an Apple SCSI card and the
standard GS/OS software (on the CMS you have to change the position of
switch 7, I think, for the Apple II.  I got this drive off of a Mac and
tested it out.  Some other brands may require a SCSI terminator.

You can get the drive for $799 from Ehman Engineering (See Mac magazines),
or you can pay $989 for the AMR drive from Roger Coats (1-800-438-2883).
All of the drive mechanisms are made by Syquest.  The disks cost about $79
mail order.  If the ability to use these disks like floppies is worth $200
to you, get a CMS or AMR.

Rick Fincher
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

In article <4578@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) writes:
>CMS, and AMR have their own SCSI cards that have drivers for online
>mounting and dismounting.  I don't know if there is a problem with this and
>the Apple SCSI card.
>
>I formatted a CMS drive with no problem using an Apple SCSI card and the
>standard GS/OS software (on the CMS you have to change the position of
>switch 7, I think, for the Apple II.  I got this drive off of a Mac and
>tested it out.  Some other brands may require a SCSI terminator.
>
>You can get the drive for $799 from Ehman Engineering (See Mac magazines),
>or you can pay $989 for the AMR drive from Roger Coats (1-800-438-2883).
>All of the drive mechanisms are made by Syquest.  The disks cost about $79
>mail order.  If the ability to use these disks like floppies is worth $200
>to you, get a CMS or AMR.

	WAIT A SECOND. STOP THE PRESSES!!!

	At AppleFest, I spoke to an engineer from CMS. I don't believe
he actually created their SCSI card since it's been around for a while, but
he is the one that made their removable hard drive work on the Apple line.
For a while I was really "up" on buying a removable hard drive, but had
recently (soon before AppleFest I mean) found out you couldn't dismount
a cartridge without rebooting. I didn't like this because one of my main
reasons for buying a cartridge hard drive was to use ONE cartridge as
my main storage and ANOTHER cartridge as my backup, thus getting rid of
backing up to floppies..

	Well, the engineer explained it all to me, although I've forgotten
much of it now, so the following simple explanation is probably wrong in
many respects. At AppleFest, the drive could only give back one of four
when a cartridge was taken out (under any circumstances from what I
remember). He showed me what happened under System 5.0. It just opened
a window with 0 items if you took out the cartridge and still tried to open
the device. He said that he was working on a SMARTPORT version of the
cartridge drive which would be much more intelligent and allow on-line
dismounting of cartridges (thus I could do what I want to do!).. He told
me at AppleFest it would probably be ON THE MARKET in somewhere around 6
months.

	Since then I have found out more about this 20 megabyte 3.5"
SCSI drive that will come out first or second quarter next year. I'm going
to write to them to see if their disks can be dismounted without
rebooting.. If they can I'll probably get one of those drives, as the
drive costs about the same as the CMS one (mail order price for CMS) and
the 20 megabyte disks are only $10 apiece.

	If anyone wants any more info about the drive just mentioned,
mail me.
--
unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (11/20/89)

In article <5879@lindy.Stanford.EDU> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	At AppleFest, I spoke to an engineer from CMS. I don't believe
>he actually created their SCSI card since it's been around for a while, but
>he is the one that made their removable hard drive work on the Apple line.

I don't know who you talked to but one of the people in the CMS booth
dismounted an mounted disks with a CMS driver and SCSI card.  They
used a CDA to mount the new cartridge.

Rick Fincher
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>	Well, the engineer explained it all to me, although I've forgotten
>much of it now, so the following simple explanation is probably wrong in
>many respects. At AppleFest, the drive could only give back one of four
>when a cartridge was taken out (under any circumstances from what I
>remember). He showed me what happened under System 5.0. It just opened
>a window with 0 items if you took out the cartridge and still tried to open
>the device. He said that he was working on a SMARTPORT version of the
>cartridge drive which would be much more intelligent and allow on-line
>dismounting of cartridges (thus I could do what I want to do!)..
>
>unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu

[lots of stuff deleted to save bandwidth]

Unless CMS supplies a GS/OS loaded driver for their card, which they currently
do not, they get a generated driver (GS/OS makes one up for them).  They ge
the highest level of generated driver they can (if their card supports Extended
SmartPort, they get that; else they get SmartPort, or if they don't support
that, they get ProDOS Block Device).

A ProDOS Block Device has four possible return values when called.  They are,
(without numerical equivalents):

*  No Device Connected
*  I/O error
*  Write Protected
*  Device off-line

It is the fourth code that should be returned for a removable system to let
GS/OS know the device exists but there's no media in it.  That's how the 3.5"
drives work.  That's how the CD-ROM works (and it's SCSI).  That's how every
removable device works.  If they didn't return "device off-line", I can imagine
they were having some problems.

The SCSI Manager also allows for removable devices (obviously, since the CD-ROM
works with it just fine).  However, when the Manager makes a SCSI call to see
if the device is removable [Note:  I'm just guessing here; I know it figures
out somehow that devices are removable and I seem to remember some kind of
SCSI inquiry that allows this determination], they have to respond correctly.
During development of 5.0, we had problems with some hard drives not working
with the SCSI Manager; it turned out that the drives in question wer
responding to SCSI inquiries with totally bogus values (such as "I don't
support reading or writing").  The Manager has to assume a basic set of
characteristics (like all devices must be read-enabled) for GS/OS to work, so
that's what it does.  If this removable drive returns bogus SCSI values, then
the Manager probably assumes a default set of characteristics, including the
(likely) chance that it is not removable.

I've seen removable hard drives work with 5.0's SCSI Manager in our lab.  I
know it's possible.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."

In article <4584@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) writes:
>I don't know who you talked to but one of the people in the CMS booth
>dismounted an mounted disks with a CMS driver and SCSI card.  They
>used a CDA to mount the new cartridge.
>
>Rick Fincher
>rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

	Maybe I didn't make it clear enough, but I was talking about
the capability of mounting and dismounting from within the Finder. The
"0 files" window situation happened when a cartridge was just TAKEN OUT
when the finder was running then the corresponding cartridge's icon was
opened. Having a CDA to switch cartridges doesn't seem to be very
EASY or plausible when trying to backup many megs from one cartridge to
another. It might very well not even be possible for some reason or another.
--
unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu

lunatic@UCSCB.UCSC.EDU (Lunatic) (11/20/89)

   ]['m afraid you've replied to the wrong person.  I'm Lunatic.  I write
replies to a lot of questions for help and make (hopefully) helpful
suggestions.  I also have a big text graphic "Lunatic" in my .signature.
The person you want is unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu.  He asks questions, flames
and occasionally make a few helpful suggestions.  <grin>  (We're friends
here at UCSC, and I don't always approve of what he posts. :)  I shall
forward your mail on to him, though, so you do not need to re-send it.

                                       - lunatic@ucscb.ucsc.edu     (: