[comp.sys.apple] SCSI

jeffj@pro-avalon.cts.COM (Jeff Jungblut) (04/15/88)

jetzer@studsys (Mike Jetzer) writes:
> Hmmm... I thought that the SCSI protocol could handle 7 devices, one of
> which is the host computer.  That would limit you to 5 HDs, plus the CD ROM.
>
> Of course, I may be wrong and it is actually that SCSI can handle 8 devices,
> one of which is the host computer.
>
> Anyone know for sure?

The CMS SCSI interface can handle 8 devices, one of which is the host
computer.  Since ProDOS only recognizes two drives per slot and 32mb per
volume, you would need more than one SCSI card for a setup like that.
You could also have a >64 megabyte drive, where the first SCSI card accesses
the first 64mb as two volumes in one slot, and the 2nd SCSI card accesses
the remaining space in 64mb chunks as the first does.  That's how the CMS card
does it; I'm not sure about Apple's card.

--
Disclaimer: I don't work for CMS.  I own a CMS SD20 and am completely
satisfied with it.

UUCP: [crash sdcsvax sdchem ihnp4] !bang!pnet08!pro-avalon!jeffj
ARPA: bang!pnet08!pro-avalon!jeffj@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
INET: jeffj@pro-avalon.cts.com
ProLine: jeffj@pro-avalon          [ 619/271-0131 3/12/2400bps ]

ross@dragon.phx.mcd.mot.com (Ross Inglis) (03/03/89)

Hi. First some background:

I have a IIGS with an Apple SCSI card connected to an Adaptec 5000 series
SCSI disk controller which has two Maxtor 52Mb disk drives.  As a second
unit on the SCSI chain I have a D.T.C. 520 controller with another Maxtor
52Mb drive and a 600Kb 5-1/4" floppy drive.  (Lots of disk space!)

When I first assembled this collection of hardware (in the U.K., about 2 Yrs
ago?) the IIGS was pretty much a brand new event, and little or no software
was available. So....

I built a "birds-nest" converter cable to convert the Apple 25-pin D to the
standard 50-pin Flat connector.  I obtained data sheets on the NCR5380
SCSI chip and wrote my own software to format and copy drives from A to B.
After some problems with the reset timing (the SCSI card did not give the
Adaptec/Maxtor combination time to reset before giving up on it!) I had a
working system but only with 32Mb on the first Maxtor.  This system has
now been running for some time (with ROM upgrades to both IIGS and SCSI
card).

For various reasons I now would like a second disk partition available, so
my questions (finally) are:

1) How can I partition the first drive into two 25Mb slices.  Are there now
available utilities that will do this for me on this hardware combo?

2) How does the SCSI card handle partitioning. (Is this in the Apple SCSI
firmware manual)?

3) Is there any way to address the second Logical unit on the first
controller from Prodos or GS/OS (SCSI I.D. 7, LUN 1  as opposed to LUN 0).

I know some other people have asked similar questions recently but with few
posted replies.  Any and all answers (by email) gratefully appreciated, I
may summarise.
                                                                  Ross.
Ross Inglis.                 Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona.
Tel. (602)-438-3755          UUCP:  uunet!unisoft!mcdphx!dragon!riscokid
Standard Disclaimers apply.

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (11/20/89)

Does somebody have a list of all the SCSI commands?  (I don't care about
the actual op codes and format, just what the different commands are
supposed to do.)

TMPLee@Dockmaster.ncsc.mil