[comp.sys.apple] TIC

info@pro-carolina.UUCP.UUCP (10/02/87)

Note that TIC versions 1.24 - 1.26 have a bug that prevents them from working
properly with the built-in modem port on the IIgs.  Don't use or distribute
these versions.  1.27 fixes the bug and 1.28 (not released yet) will feature
some emulation capability so it might be worth waiting for (plan to have it
ready soon).  TIC 1.27 has been up on Compuserve for a few days now and should
be available in other places soon.  Sorry for the inconvenience here.

UUCP: [ ihnp4 sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-carolina!delton
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil
INET: delton@pro-sol.cts.com

wack@udel.EDU (Andrew Wack) (11/23/87)

I just saw a posting that mentioned a new version of TIC that does terminal
emulation.  I have been using kermit since I need vt100 emulation but I like
some of the features that TIC has.  Last time I checked, TIC was shareware.
If it still is could someone put the new version of TIC along with the
documentation on APPLE2-L so that i could see if it fits my needs.  I'm sure
there are others on the net who would share my interest.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Wack

---------------
ARPA:  wack@udel.edu     (and i'm sure you can get to me from lots of other ways
"Gravity cannot be held responsible for people falling in love" --Einstein

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (01/17/88)

  Don Elton <delton@pro-carolina.cts.COM> writes:

>It would not that big a deal to support non-interrupt driven communication
>cards though performance will obviously not be as good, particularly at
>higher baud rates (Note that TIC's baud rate range is from 300-19,200 baud).
>I'll have to think about this some more as a possible feature for TIC.  A
>feature like this may just cause more tech support headaches when users
>wonder why they're losing data.  At least now when they don't receive any
>data at all they know that they're at fault but if they receive some data
>they'll possibly assume TIC's at fault and give me grief.

I appreciate the problem, but if "interrupts on" is the default and
a deliberate parameter change is required to alter it, then problems
should be far fewer.  Have you thought about an "undocumented feature"
(a term I learned from an Apple spokesperson responding to complaints
that Appleworks lost data if entries were made into too many columns
on a single row)?  Suppose there were a changeable parameter (or even
a "patch" that could be EXEC'd and then the program BSAVE'd) that
you only documented for (registered) owners who asked (I gather I'm
the primary invidivdual that keeps harping on the subject).

If you do install non-interrupt, I hope you do so in the 8-bit version
as I've analyzed my long term needs and it appears that my next system
will be 68030 based (Mac II+?) rather than a IIgs.  In spite of its
limitations, the //e (or //c) in conjuntion with the mainframe is
adequate for my needs at the moment.  I expect I'll need to scrape
together the price of a modest sized auto for the system I'll want
next - no surplus to expend on a IIgs 8-(

A thought:  The earliest version of SOFTERM (the old copy protected
one) automatically looked for a file named "patch" (as it TIC.PATCH)
when it loaded.  If it found such a file it 'bloaded' the patches
into the appropriate memory locations.  That procedure made it possible
to distribute many program updates and fixes without having to
send out whole new copies of the program.  You might find that
approach useful - especially after you begin distributing TIC Pro to
only registered owners because you'd still be able to send them updates
by bbs and email.

>I'll have a kermit in TIC Pro more than likely.  I think emulations without
>kermit are frequently useful as not everyone has a need to transfer files
>from a mainframe to their micro -- perhaps only a minority of users are
>sofisticated enough to even consider the possibility of file transfers in
>fact.  I suspect that most users just use the mainframe's editors/programs
>etc to manipulate their data where it sits since most users wouldn't know
>what to do with the data once they got it on their apple anyway.

Gee what a pessimistic view you have of run-of-the-mill users.  Most of
the kids (and even the grownups who know what a modem is) around here
transfer programs like crazy from their own systems to bbs's.  File
transfer is hardly an unknown idea.

Yes, I'll still use the mainframe's editor over the phone line for short
things (about the size of this note for instance), but then I started using
a 33-KSR TTY at 110 baud; so 2400 baud looks REALLY quick!  Judging from
both the faculty, students, and secretaries I have contact with, transfer
of text files from micro to mainframe (for printing or shipping by net)
is common to far more than not.  If you've used a mainframe for typing
a 5 or more page manuscript compared to even a rudimentary micro wordprocessor,
you know why using the host to enter drafts is getting rare.  Many of
us who program prefer to code on a micro upload and debug (if
necessary ;-) on the host.  Transfer is also the common means of getting
text files from Apple to IBM-PC, Commodore, Atari (what-have-you) and
vice-versa.

If you author a 30 page manuscript for a journal that requires submission
of 5 copies, the most sensible way to produce the hard copy is the mainframe
printer (ours is a laser printer that runs 300 pages a minute which is
MUCH faster than the combination of Diablo and plain paper copier!).

It's hard to tell what fraction of comp.sys.apple readers regularly
transfer files from micro to host (or verse-vica), because there are
evidently many readers who "read only," but it surely seems from comments
about APPLE2-L, Kermit, and "apple.binaries" that more than two-thirds
of those who chose to post also transfer.

VT100 seems to be the "standard" (for today) ASCII terminal for most
hosts (even though it appears the majority also support VT-52 and some
others such as ADM3 series and Televideo 9xx series).  If someone only
wants to emulate a dumb terminal without file transfer, I don't think
they'd be a good prospect for your toil.  There are simply too many
copies of too much software (Both Ted Medin's and Dick Atlee's
Kermit's are legitimate public domain) already out there that will
do that job.

---------------------
ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (VachonD) (01/19/88)

I just got a new US Robotics 9600 Baud HST.  It is really a nice piece of
equipment, but I would like to find a few things for the Apple to allow me to
really use it's capabilities to the fullest.  I have AE ProDOS, and you can
select 9600 baud (although not on the menu, you can select 8 for the baud rate
but it can't keep up.)  I have 2.02 (I think) of Talk is Cheap, but have been
unable as of yet to get the program to even allow me to get an AT command out
to the modem!!  Does anyone have any documentation for this?!  Any help would
be greatly appreciated!

Or does anyone know of a terminal program that will work with 9600 baud on an
Apple II+?!  (That leaves out moustalk, proterm, and apple access II...)

Also...  Has anyone ever heard of YMODEM-G or ZMODEM protocols?!  If you have
and have any information (or better yet modem drivers) that support these
protocols, could you please post them or send them in e-mail!  I am really
scouring around looking for some info on these!

Later Days -=> Daniel Vachon <=-   !ucbvax!inhp4!drutx!dvac

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (01/21/88)

The Softerm II manual indicates that it can be set for speeds between 50 baud
and 9600 baud. No being one of you speedy folks myself, I can't vouch for it.

Softerm II works on ][x, where x = nothing, +, e, or c.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (03/14/88)

Versions of TIC are available as shareware.  Copies are exist
on Apple BBS's practically everywhere.  The best way to get the
information you're asking about would be to get a copy and try
it.

I've taken a look at TIC.  It supports XModem, Ymodem, the United
Software (AE Pro) "ProDOS" superset of XModem, Xmodem/CRC and
maybe a variant or two I've forgotten (no Kermit as of the last
time I looked).  VT52, ADM3A, Televideo 9xx, and maybe a few other
terminal types are supported (not ANSI -- VT10x as far as I know).

TIC has a VERY GOOD script (macro) language and the program is easy to use
(pretty intuitive actually).  //e (even the older not enhanced version),
//c, and IIgs are supported, BUT the modem must either be attached
through a IIgs internal port or a SSC (or clone) in slot 2 that
supports interrupts (if you have a Microtek 622C as I do you either
have to risk modifying the board, replace it, or use other software).

NOTE: I'm sending a copy of this mail to Don Elton (the author of
TIC): delton@pro-carolina.cts.com, ...ihnp4!pro-carolina!delton

I don't know if he still reads comp.sys.apple (he hasn't posted in
awhile), but my experience has been that he will answer his email.
You may find it helpful to contact Don directly.

---------------------
Disclaimer: I like my opinions better than my employers anyway...

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

Mandel@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA (Mark Mandel) (06/24/88)

I had a betatest version (I think), with around 20 pages of
documentation.  I looked all through it and couldn't find any mention of
BREAK.  I didn't see anything about requiring the enhancement, either.
That's why I was pretty annoyed at the apparent lack of BREAK and loss
of characters above 300 bps.

I never said that no s/w *required* the enhancement:  I said that
nothing that I owned required it.  I don't have a lot of time or money
to spend on my Apple, so I haven't bought the enhancement or seen the
need to buy any of the many programs that require it.

I have nothing against TIC if it has BREAK and doesn't lose characters.
As far as I was able to tell from what I had, it was a pretty good
program except for those lacks.  If I ever get the enhancement, I'll
probably get the latest version of TIC and send in my fair $hare.

                                        -- Mark Mandel

 * My employer is not responsible for anything I say, think, do, or eat. *

delton@pro-carolina.cts.com (Don Elton) (02/04/89)

Don't really understand exactly what happened to you with your download..
Perhaps you could elaborate in email and I'll get back to you.

Concerning your problems when you moved TIC from one disk to another, that's
easy.  Don't copy the TIC.CONFIG file as it holds your root directory (the
place where TIC looks for scripts etc).  You could always reset it using OA-M
or you could just delete the TIC.CONFIG file and TIC will create a new one for
you at the new directory location.

UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil
INET: delton@pro-carolina.cts.com

Pro-Carolina: 803-776-3936 (300-2400 baud, login as 'register')
     US Mail: 3207 Berkeley Forest Drive, Columbia, SC  29209-4111

delton@pro-carolina.cts.COM (Don Elton) (11/20/89)

TIC does indeed require that interrupts be enabled to work with the Super
Serial card.  So far as I know there's only one version of the SSC.  Unless
you have the switch blocks confused or have a bad copy/version of TIC I'm not
sure what the problem is as the SSC in //e is probably the most common
configuration to be used with TIC.  Note that the switch has to be turned on
and the machine re-booted (power down preferable) before you run TIC and then
just leave the switch in the interrupt enabled position.  Let me know if you
have more trouble in email and I'll try to help you out.

UUCP: [ ihnp4 sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton