[comp.sys.apple] PostScript via //gs

jlink@pro-xy.cts.com (John Link) (11/02/89)

>question--how do you send raw postscript from a gs?

You can enter "interactive" mode with any terminal modem and the serial port,
but it seems you want to do it via AppleTalk...in which case, take the IWEM
file from the //gs system disk, and edit it so that the procedure called _WBJ_
is an empty procedure.  ie.  delete everything between the baraces which
follow it.  It is very early in the emulator.  According to what I have read
in Don Lancaster's column in Computer Shopper, this should work.

proline: pro-xy!jlink (System Administrator)         uucp: crash!pro-xy!jlink
arpa   : crash!pro-xy!jlink@nosc.mil                GEnie: J.LINK
APE    : Link007                               CompuServe: [71360,1726]
___________________                                       ___________________
__________________ pro-xy @  616-381-1726  (2400/1200/300) __________________

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (11/21/89)

jlink@pro-xy.cts.com (John Link) writes:
>>question--how do you send raw postscript from a gs?
>[edit the IWEM file so _WBJ_ is an empty procedure]

Yes, that ought to work (although you may annoy other network users trying
to print to that same LaserWriter).

Also, you can use the AppleTalk call PMSetPrinter to first get the status
bits for your currently-selected printer and then turn off the "postscript
printer" bit, so that RPM (Remote Print Manager) won't send the _WBJ_ command
to activate the emulator each time you start a print job.

This approach has the advantage that you don't even need to load IWEM, and
you don't interfere with other users printing through the emulator.
--

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.