[comp.sys.apple] Mac PICT ---> Apple PICT

gillam@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Larry Gillam) (11/17/89)

	I have an Apple IIGS running AWGS. I would like to scan in a
	coloring book page, load it into the paint module and let the
	kids "fill" the objects. Here's the problem I'm having:

	Background....

	1. Scan in the page and store in Mac PICT format.

	2. Use "Apple File Exchange" to translate to Apple PICT.

	3. Took the disc home and tried to load it into the paint module.
	   AWGS didn't recognize the file type therefore was not
	   seen as being available. The file type was set to $00. In
	   looking at the file type of a AWGS paint file it was $50(bin).

	My question.....

	Is there a "reasonable" way to convert the Macintosh PICT format
	to an Apple PICT format AND have it loadable by the paint module?
	Maybe use a different format?

					Thanks,

					Larry

In article <17230002@hpfcdj.HP.COM> gillam@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Larry Gillam) writes:

>	Is there a "reasonable" way to convert the Macintosh PICT format
>	to an Apple PICT format AND have it loadable by the paint module?
>	Maybe use a different format?
>
>					Thanks,
>
>					Larry

Wow...what a well-spaced, easy to read question.  I could learn from this.

The PICT format is a QuickDraw Picture.  That's a series of QuickDraw commands
spooled to a special data structure.  QuickDraw has routines to take the
Picture and "play it back", in effect redrawing it.  They're called PIC
because that's the Mac four-character resource type for resources containing
them.

You might guess that with Mac QuickDraw in three pieces (regular, Colo,
32-bit) and using a 68000, and with QuickDraw II in two pieces (QD, QDAux) and
using a 65816, there will be structural differences.  You would be right.
APDA sells PICT File Format notes describing Macintosh pictures, and we have
Apple IIgs Technical Note #46 describing IIgs pictures.

A translation program is possible but would be tricky to write.  To m
knowledge, no one has written one yet.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (11/19/89)

In article <36616@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>In article <17230002@hpfcdj.HP.COM> gillam@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Larry Gillam) writes:
>>
>>	Is there a "reasonable" way to convert the Macintosh PICT format
>>	to an Apple PICT format AND have it loadable by the paint module?
>>	Maybe use a different format?
>>
>A translation program is possible but would be tricky to write.  To m
>knowledge, no one has written one yet.

I missed the entire question, but if you have a Macintosh paint program
that can read your PICT files and save them back to disk as a GIF file,
you can transfer that GIF picture to a IIgs and then use SHRConvert by
Jason Harper (shareware) to convert it to one of many IIgs picture
formats, including the $C0 filetype that most paint programs accept.

GIF is Graphics Interchange Format, and I guess CompuServe developed it
so they could encode one picture in a format that many computers could
decode.

Howard
huang@husc4.harvard.edu

Howard C. Huang
huang@husc4.harvard.edu
huang@husc4.BITNET
huang@husc4.UUCP

lunatic@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Lunatic) (11/19/89)

In article <3204@husc6.harvard.edu> huang@husc4.UUCP (Howard Huang) writes:
>In article <17230002@hpfcdj.HP.COM> gillam@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Larry Gillam) writes:
>>
>>	Is there a "reasonable" way to convert the Macintosh PICT format
>>	to an Apple PICT format AND have it loadable by the paint module?
>>	Maybe use a different format?
>
>I missed the entire question, but if you have a Macintosh paint program
>that can read your PICT files and save them back to disk as a GIF file,
>you can transfer that GIF picture to a IIgs and then use SHRConvert by
>Jason Harper (shareware) to convert it to one of many IIgs picture
>formats, including the $C0 filetype that most paint programs accept.

   ___
    |here's an easier way.  Simply save the picture in MacPaint format,
use Apple File Exchange to copy it to a ProDOS disk, load it into
SHRConvert as a "Macintosh"/"Macpaint => 640 mode" picture, and then
save it as a $C1 uncompressed picture file.  Don't use $C0 compressed
because AppleWorks GS doesn't support that, yet.

   ][ have never tried this, so I don't know how well it will work, if
at all.

>Howard C. Huang
>huang@husc4.harvard.edu
>huang@husc4.BITNET
>huang@husc4.UUCP

  ___________                         ARPA: lunatic@uscsb.UCSC.EDU        /
    ________/                         Internet: lunatic%ucscb@ucscc.edu  /
      ____//           _  ___     _   UUCP: ...!ucscc!ucscb!lunatic     /
     ___///__ {_} |\| /-\  |  ][ {_   GEnie: L.BRUCE  (Lunatic Bruce)  /
    __________________________________________________________________/  (:

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (11/21/89)

In article <5894@lindy.Stanford.EDU> lunatic@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Lunatic) writes:

> In article <3204@husc6.harvard.edu> huang@husc4.UUCP (Howard Huang) writes:
> >In article <17230002@hpfcdj.HP.COM> gillam@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Larry Gillam) writes:
> >>
> >>	Is there a "reasonable" way to convert the Macintosh PICT format
> >>	to an Apple PICT format AND have it loadable by the paint module?
> >>	Maybe use a different format?
> >
> >I missed the entire question, but if you have a Macintosh paint program
> >that can read your PICT files and save them back to disk as a GIF file,
> >you can transfer that GIF picture to a IIgs and then use SHRConvert by
> >Jason Harper (shareware) to convert it to one of many IIgs picture
> >formats, including the $C0 filetype that most paint programs accept.
> >
>    ___
>     |here's an easier way.  Simply save the picture in MacPaint format,
> use Apple File Exchange to copy it to a ProDOS disk, load it into
> SHRConvert as a "Macintosh"/"Macpaint => 640 mode" picture, and then
> save it as a $C1 uncompressed picture file.  Don't use $C0 compressed
> because AppleWorks GS doesn't support that, yet.

... and AWGS probably never will, because it's a fairly useless filetype.
The problem is that it's a packed format ($C0, aux $0003) that has no
description of the unpacked size.  There's no way of determining how big a
buffer you need to unpack it into... 1K, 2K, 4Meg, 5Gig... or whatnot.  AWGS
does support [$C0, $0000]: PaintWorks Packed Super Hi-Res Picture, [$C0,
$0001]: Packed Apple IIGS SHR Image, and [$C0, $0002]: Apple Preferred Format
<although AWGS doesn't deal well with bad APF files that a PaintWorks bug can
create>, [$C1, $0000]: SHR Screen Image (screen dump), and [$C1, $0001]:
Quickdraw II PICT.

(yes, Matt, I know those aren't the exact official names of the filetypes,
but it's close enough for horseshoes).

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.