[comp.sys.apple] TML Pascal II

steve@wayback.unm.edu (Steve Jorgensen-S) (08/26/89)

	I am one of the many people who ordered TML Pascal II for the IIGS,
	and many of you have been asking what is going on with them.  Well,
	I talk to them yesterday, and they said that they just got Apple's
	new "bug fixed" version of System 5 software, and they are testing
	TML Pascal with it now.  The System 5 software they have hasn't yet
	been released by Apple, and so to use their Pascal, we will have
	to upgrade to the latest version of System 5.  Now I thought
	the System 5 that I got from my apple dealer was the final version,
	but maybe not.  If it isn't does anyone know when the new version
	will be released?  Can any one confirm what TML told me is true?
	Or, is the rest of the world just as confused as I am? :-)

				Steven Jorgensen
				steve@chimayo.unm.edu
				Electrical & Computer Engineering Department
				University of New Mexico
				Albuquerque, NM

sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") (09/28/89)

 Just called the people at TML yesterday.  Very nice response from them.
 Pascal II started shipping the 15 of September.  Apparently they
haven't been able to fix all of the bugs yet, so in about two weeks,
they will be sending everyone a free update.  This may happen twice -
they said something about problems with the system disk, but I don't
remember the details (I had just stayed up 24 hours trying to get a
physics problem set done - anyone know about any jobs for a failed-out
physics student? :-)  Seeing as I just recently moved back to campus, I
asked the guy to check and make sure they had my new mailing address.
He couldn't find the information, and rather than asking me to call
back, he took my phone number, and they called me back in about half an
hour!  I wasn't expecting them to call back.  However, it's now the 27
of September, and I still haven't received it yet.  Still waiting
patiently...

 -seth
tHe mAd ScienTisT,	sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu
and other carnations.

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (09/28/89)

In article <4Z8GL=G00Ws1A0ukZf@andrew.cmu.edu> sk2f+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Seth D. Kadesh") writes:
> Just called the people at TML yesterday.  Very nice response from them.
> Pascal II started shipping the 15 of September.  Apparently they
>haven't been able to fix all of the bugs yet, so in about two weeks,
>they will be sending everyone a free update.  This may happen twice -
>they said something about problems with the system disk,

I got TML Pascal II last weekend...pretty spiffy!  Overall it appears MUCH
faster than before.  The editor is quicker on its feet, though the way it
updates is sort of funny sometimes.  Although I have not tried it myself, the
editor can also use a different font.  As you delete/insert move text around,
idents are shifted around before your eyes very quickly.  The Resource Editor
is as wonderful as everyone said.  You can choose a particular button or
checkbox and plop 'em right in your window.  Neat.

TML Pascal II supports "Textbook Graphics Applications", which is sort of like
the plain vanilla text applications supported by v1.0.  You can turn this on
just by putting a procedure call "graphics (mode);" (where mode can be 320 or
640) in the beginning of your procedure.  By adding another line or so in the
USES declaration, you can use all the QuickDraw calls.  It's easy!  --
Dave Seah | O M N I D Y N E  S Y S T E M S - M |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
          |   User Friendly Killing Machines   |   America Online: AFC DaveS
   "MY GOD! I HAVE POCKETS!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I HAVE POCKETS!!" - Tick

tribby@hpindwa.HP.COM (David Tribby) (09/29/89)

My copy of TML Pascal II arrived yesterday (Wed., Sept. 28). Didn't have
time to do much with it (had to watch both the Giants and the A's!), but
here are a few preliminary observations:

   - TML has renamed the GS Toolbox interface units. For example, instead of
     USES QDIntf;  you would type something like   USES Types, QuickDraw;
     This is supposed to match the official Apple standards. All of the
     interface units are printed in the manual. I noticed they were
     copyrighted by Apple, not TML.

   - Some of the TML functions (e.g., BitAND) have been renamed in order
     to match Apple's standards.

   - I didn't see the old TML interface units, such as ConsoleIO and the
     APW shell interface.

   - Procedures can be declared as external, but I couldn't find out where
     to put libraries in order for the linker to find external routines.
     (The manual says to check the spelling of the procedure name when the
     linker can't find something.) Any informed suggestions on how to set
     things up?

   - The manual is much larger and looks more professional than the old one.
     Too bad it doesn't have an index of topics. (It does index the toolbox
     interfaces.)

   - TML includes a warning that there are several problems with System Disk
     5.0. They specifically warn against cutting/pasting buffers larger than
     a certain size (4K?), but indicate that most programs should work.

   - When you compile a New Desk Accessory, it gets installed into the TML
     Pascal II menu and you can invoke it immediately (no reboot required).

   - The programs in the new "sampler" look interesting. One changes the
     color of the desktop from the standard blue to any of the other 15
     640-mode colors.  Another uses resources to create windows and controls.
     Another plays Music Studio sound files.

--Dave Tribby
                                   - - - - -
        ARPA: tribby%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP: hplabs!hpda!tribby

digitalfiend@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Scott D Palmer) (11/22/89)

I'm considering purchasing TML Pascal II and I was wonder if anyone out there
using it has anything really positive or negative to say about it.  My
main concern is if it is worth purchasing now, or later (when more bugs have
been worked out).  What are the major bugs ?  What is the most recent revision ?
Finally, if I purchase it through a mail-order house will TML supply me with
all upgrades for free ?

                                          Thanks,
                                                  Scott Palmer