[comp.sys.apple] Usenet feeding frenzy

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (11/15/89)

Maybe all this rerouting stuff is a good time to propose what somebody
suggested a while back:

Rename this group comp.sys.apple2

I just saw the header for a call for discussion about renaming comp.emacs
to comp.editors.emacs, so such an act is not infeasible.  Since all of
the network connections are getting shifted around anyway, maybe this is
a good time to think about this.

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

kuo@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Andy Y.A. Kuo) (11/18/89)

In article <19565@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) writes:
>Maybe all this rerouting stuff is a good time to propose what somebody
>suggested a while back:
>
>Rename this group comp.sys.apple2
>
>I just saw the header for a call for discussion about renaming comp.emacs
>to comp.editors.emacs, so such an act is not infeasible.  Since all of
>the network connections are getting shifted around anyway, maybe this is
>a good time to think about this.

  It is a good idea.  The problem is how?

  I heard that it will actually take 200 yes votes than no votes.  100
is for taking comp.sys.apple down, another 100 for the creation
of the "new" group comp.sys.apple2.

  Another problem, what if there is not enough 100 more yes votes to
create c.s.a2 while there is enough yes votes to take c.s.a down...

  Does any one know for sure how to do it?  Has it been done before?

Andy

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (11/18/89)

Andy, I propose such a renaming every 6-9 months.  So far, I have been told
that renaming is too hard, not everyone would honor it, and that there is not
enough need for it - this by the 'gurus' in news.misc.  Feel free to take a
shot at it though.
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet

mikes@shumv1.uucp (Michael Steele) (11/22/89)

In article <19565@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) writes:
>Maybe all this rerouting stuff is a good time to propose what somebody
>suggested a while back:
>
>Rename this group comp.sys.apple2
>fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
>...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

YES that would be a GREAT idea!!!  This would reroute all the new Mac
people who come onto the net to the proper channels.  And since the
binaries is already named comp.binaries.apple2 it only makes sense to
make this group follow that as a standard.

Michael Steele			mikes@shumv1.ncsu.edu
	mikes@ccvr1.ncsu.edu 		ALINK: MikeSteele
	mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu	 	BITNET: netoprms@ncsuvm.bitnet