[comp.sys.apple] Desktop question

rich@pro-exchange.cts.COM (Rich Sims) (11/18/89)

A very trivial question for one of the folks at Apple....

I'm running a GS with an Apple Disk ][ and I/F card installed.  If I don't
have the APPLEDISK5.25 driver installed, it's not recognized, which makes
sense.

If the driver is installed and there's no disk in the drive, when the desktop
environment is started up, there's no icon for the 5.25" drive shown.  So far,
it still makes a certain amount of sense.

However, if there is a disk in the drive, the desktop includes an icon for
both the disk, by name, and for the driver.

That last combination seems just a bit redundant, especially since the driver
icon doesn't show up when there's no disk in the drive.

Is there some particular rationale for displaying either no icon or two icons,
rather than one icon (either the driver or the disk)?

Rich Sims

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!rich
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!rich@nosc.mil
INET: rich@pro-exchange.cts.com

jeffj@pro-avalon.cts.COM (Jeff Jungblut) (11/22/89)

The Disk II drive icon is displayed so you can tell the Finder when a disk has
been changed.  Normally, the Disk II icon should be displayed all the time,
even when no disk is inserted when the Finder starts up.  However, some Disk
II drives incorrectly report No Device Connected when there's no disk
inserted, instead of the proper I/O Error.  I've seen this on most old Disk II
drives, all the time on the Mitac 5.25" drive I use at work, most of the time
on my DuoDisk at home, but never on the newer Apple 5.25 platinum drives.

If the drive says No Device Connected instead of I/O Error, the Finder assumes
there's no drive there.  An I/O Error says the drive is there, but no disk has
been inserted.

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (11/23/89)

the reason it makes sense to have both a volume icon and a driver icon
is because the machine never knows when you have removed or replaced
the disk in the drive. By clicking on the driver, the drive reads the
disk and finds out what it is. By clicking on the volume, you get the
volume contents. If you swap disks, click on the driver and the volume
will be updated to the current one. Further, if you started out with
no disk in the drive (leaving only the driver there) you may later
insert a disk and click on the driver to put the volume online.

the 3.5 drives can detect whether there is a disk in the drive or not,
making the above unnecessary.

|Jeremy Mereness                  |   Support     | Disclaimer:            |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |     Free      |  The above represent my|
|r746jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |      Software |  opinions, alone.      |
|a student at Carnegie Mellon U.  |               |  Void where prohibited.|