[comp.sys.apple] comp.sys.apple2.tech

UNESTJ@UNCVX1.BITNET (Tamara) (11/10/89)

 I am not in favor of this idea either.

                                               Time :  9-NOV-1989 18:58:24.26
--------
"Keep On Rocking in a Free World"
                                   UNESTJ@uncvx1.bitnet
<Tamara>

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (11/10/89)

I personally think the apple2.tech forum is a cop-out for the people from
Apple who don't want to hear any kind of criticism from the established user
base.

However, if the posts keep multiplying like they seem to be doing these days,
I suppose it could be useful to separate the stuff.

Lynda

PATZNER@DBNINF5.BITNET (11/10/89)

I don't like this idea very much as long as there is no cross-posting to
a similar Internet mailing list. i've subscribed to INFO-APP mainly for
the things you want to put into this new list and I don't think I can
convince our UNIX group to subscribe to that feed too. And I don't think
I'm the only one on Bitnet...

Achim

(Patzner@DBNINF5.bitnet; if that won't work, try {anything}!unido!bnu!patzner)

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (11/10/89)

In article <8911091858.aa21347@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> UNESTJ@UNCVX1.BITNET (Tamara) writes:
> I am not in favor of this idea either.

	Not to sound scarcastic, but could you please explain why?  The
	purpose of the "call for discussion" is to bring up the pros and
	cons of creating the newsgroup, and (hopefully), iron out the
	wrinkles.

>                                   UNESTJ@uncvx1.bitnet
><Tamara>

Cary Farrier

--
+--------------+-------------------------+
| Cary Farrier | farrier@apple.com       |

In article <13396.apple.net@pro-sol> lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) writes:

>I personally think the apple2.tech forum is a cop-out for the people from
>Apple who don't want to hear any kind of criticism from the established user
>base.

	I don't think so.  What's to stop people from posting the
	same criticism in the tech forum?  The point of the new
	forum is to separate articles from articles, not to
	separate Apple from Users.

>Lynda

Cary Farrier
--
+--------------+-------------------------+
| Cary Farrier | farrier@apple.com       |
comp.sys.apple. However, I am disbanding info-apple for reasons
explained elsewhere. There seems to be no plan to gateway
comp.sys.apple2.tech (or comp.sys.apple for that matter) to the
Internet. Since Bitnet/Internet gateways are the only way that the
Bitnet folks have access to info-apple, creation of the new group
means that they will lose access to the discussions for which most of
them signed up.

Folks who have loaded up this newsgroup and mailing list with the
electronic sludge of irrelevant discussions about piracy, the future of
Apple Computer, Inc, and profanity on the net share much of the
responsibility for the pending changes.

_Brint

rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com (raymond r rankins) (11/10/89)

In article <13396.apple.net@pro-sol> lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) writes:

>I personally think the apple2.tech forum is a cop-out for the people from
>Apple who don't want to hear any kind of criticism from the established user
>base.

I think the DTS people are here to lend "Technical Support", not emotional
support.  If you want to send criticism to someone at Apple, you could always
send it email or mail it the old fashioned way.  But that would probably
require a little more effort.

BTW:  I volunteered to collect complaints to send to Apple a couple of days
ago, and so far, only one person has sent me anything.  Kind of hard to
compile a list of complaints from only one.  Come on people, if you want
to see some changes at Apple, you have to take some action.

Ray
---

Ray Rankins          |  (518) 387-7340  | INTERNET: rankins@zaire.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |  (518) 583-3320  | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |                  | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (11/12/89)

In article <13396.apple.net@pro-sol> lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) writes:

>I personally think the apple2.tech forum is a cop-out for the people from
>Apple who don't want to hear any kind of criticism from the established user
>base.
>
>However, if the posts keep multiplying like they seem to be doing these days,
>I suppose it could be useful to separate the stuff.
>
>Lynda

Argh. Look, take a gander at what has happened over in comp.sys.mac.  They
have split off comp.sys.mac into *four* other groups, mac.digest, mac.hypercard
mac.programmer, and most recently, mac.hardware.

These splits took place because there was too much traffic for the people
to sift through.  I've seen the number of articles on comp.sys.apple
skyrocket in the past couple months;  it *is* getting harder to sift
through all the other articles, whether they be "I can't get KERMIT to work,"
or bitching and moaning about Apple Co. non-activity.

There is a precedent for this; so what's the problem?  Sure, the traffic
may not be great, but that's far better than sifting through 100+ articles
to find the answer to your question, eh?

--Chan Wilson
Computer Operator, SRI International
 Genius has limits, stupidity is boundless, just look around you.
 I've grown weary of imbeciles on the net.
cwilson@nisc.sri.com or cwilson@nic.ddn.mil
--Chan Wilson
	     `and now for something completely different.'
	Flamingo coloured penguins and banana coloured grapes.
              cwilson@nisc.sri.com or cwilson@nic.ddn.mil

jasona@pro-houston.cts.com (Jason Asbahr) (11/13/89)

A newsfeed devoted totally to Apple technical stuff?  I'd love it!  Pure
(relatively) Apple hacker fun.  So how do I official vote YES?

          -Jason Asbahr, clattering away at pro-houston

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (11/13/89)

   I think splitting the newsgroups would be a good idea, with the apple2
in the name an even better idea (even with their own newsfiles, Mac people
still occasionally post here).
   But we really should be figuring out what we're going to do to help our
BITNET friends.  Brint Cooper- what is involved in handling a distribution
link such as info-apple?  There are several machines here at the U of I that
don't do much besides handle staff accounts (i.e. not much at all) that might
be okay for the job.  If the task is not a difficult one, it might be possible
to convince my SysAdmin to do this.
   But you'll have to help.  Send me mail on this.

jawaid bazyar    jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu  Junior/Computer Engineering UIUC

         Beneath the noble birth, between the proudest words,
                behind the beauty, Cracks appear
         Once, with hands held high, they sang out to the sky
		Why do their shadows bow in fear?

philip@pro-generic.cts.com (Philip McDunnough) (11/13/89)

The group can presumably provide emotional support between members,can't it?
This has nothing to do with the Apple people here. Maybe you only received one
reply because people are more or less happy with their GS's. Everyone in the
computer world is aware that things are changing rapidly.I really can't
believe that the people in a position to decide are unaware as to what
direction the GS should head in terms of improved technology.Consequently I
don't see the point in sending "bagfulls" of letters to the Apple management.

    Philip McDunnough    ->philip@utstat.toronto.edu
:   University of Toronto
:   [my opinions.]

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (11/14/89)

In article <2503.cortland.info-apple@pro-houston> jasona@pro-houston.cts.com (Jason Asbahr) writes:
>A newsfeed devoted totally to Apple technical stuff?  I'd love it!  Pure
>(relatively) Apple hacker fun.  So how do I official vote YES?
>
>          -Jason Asbahr, clattering away at pro-houston

	Sorry, I should have made that clear in my call for discussion.
These are the tentative dates I have scheduled :

	11/09/89 - 12/09/89	Discussion of the creation of the
				new newsgroup. (30 days)
	12/09/89 - 12/30/89	Voting session. (21 days)
	01/05/89		Creation (hopefully) of new newsgroup

	Please note that these dates are tentative, they will change
as needed to accomodate an extended discussion period, if required.

Cary Farrier
--
+--------------+-------------------------+
| Cary Farrier | farrier@apple.com       |
+--------------+-------------------------+

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (11/14/89)

I am in full agreement with the need for a seperate comp.sys.apple2.tech
group. The need is certainly there. The only thing open in my mind is
the name of the group.. Four words seems like a lot to me, do we need
the sys in the name? and do we need a 2 or a II or a ii to signify
appleII or appleii?

--
    bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL: BSHERMAN
>>  Miami's Big Apple - 305-948-8000 - 24 hours - 300/1200 - PCP'able  <<
>>  Oldest Apple support board in Southeast. Now in it's ninth year.   <<

tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (11/16/89)

I'd love to see a technical only newsfeed.  Most of my interest is of a
technical nature.   I feel why bore people who are not interested.   Also if
it were seperate, sysops who didn't want to carry technical stuff would not get
stuck paying phone bills for stuff they don't even want.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!tomk
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!tomk@nosc.mil

steven@.ucalgary.ca (Steven Leikeim) (11/22/89)

In article <5159@internal.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>These are the tentative dates I have scheduled :
>
>	11/09/89 - 12/09/89	Discussion of the creation of the
>				new newsgroup. (30 days)
>	12/09/89 - 12/30/89	Voting session. (21 days)
>	01/05/89		Creation (hopefully) of new newsgroup
        ^^^^^^^^

Are you using a new product that we don't know about yet. You know, the new
Apple IIGSx++e with builtin time warp generator!!!! Of course, to run the
time warp generator you need a 512MHz 65864 with 37 Gb of memory and
5,000 Gb of hard disk.

But the important question here is when will this system be available and will
I be able to upgrade my present IIGS (at minimal cost, of course).

Just in case .... :-) :-) :-)

Steven Leikeim                        |
University of Calgary                 |   There are lies, damned lies,
Department of Electrical Engineering  |        and statistics.
.uunet!{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!enel!steven

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (11/23/89)

In article <2132@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> steven@enel.UCalgary.ca (Steven Leikeim) writes:
>Are you using a new product that we don't know about yet. You know, the new
>Apple IIGSx++e with builtin time warp generator!!!! Of course, to run the
>time warp generator you need a 512MHz 65864 with 37 Gb of memory and
>5,000 Gb of hard disk.
>
>But the important question here is when will this system be available and will
>I be able to upgrade my present IIGS (at minimal cost, of course).

	Sorry, but we can't comment on any new products we may
	or may not be working on :-).

>Just in case .... :-) :-) :-)
>
>Steven Leikeim                        |
>University of Calgary                 |   There are lies, damned lies,
>Department of Electrical Engineering  |        and statistics.
>.uunet!{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!enel!steven

Cary Farrier

--
| Cary Farrier				| Internet  : farrier@apple.com   |