[comp.sys.apple] 100 Meg Vulcan

In article <2757.cortland.info-apple@pro-houston> jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) writes:
>... Now that you mention it, I've got a two-month-old, 100 MB, $1,800 Vulcan
>that suddenly has started sounding worse than my two-year-old CMS 60 that's
>run continuously for all the time I've had it.

	Might I ask you why you spent $1800 on a 100 meg Vulcan hard drive
when you could have EASILY gotten a 100 meg (or larger) SCSI drive for
$800 not including the SCSI card price itself? Sure, having an internal
drive is nice, but COME ON! More than twice the price for the same, if not
less, storage? I'm honestly not trying to sound rude in the above, but you
could have easily saved yourself a lot of your hard earned money.

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/18/89)

     Actually, a Vulcan 100meg is $1,000 mail order.  A SCSI would be $800
(I'm taking your word for it) plus a SCSI card, $100 mail order.  So
$1000 to $900.  Close.  The Vulcans are faster and internal.  It helps
make up the $100 difference, not to mention the specific support the Vulcan
gives to Apples, i.e. software, etc. that can't be sent with ye generic
SCSI drive that has to work on all that's SCSI.

							Ken.
  						  ken-b@uiuc.edu

lunatic@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Lunatic) (11/19/89)

In article <113300159@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>                        The Vulcans are faster and internal.  It helps
>make up the $100 difference, not to mention the specific support the Vulcan
>gives to Apples, i.e. software, etc. that can't be sent with ye generic
>SCSI drive that has to work on all that's SCSI.

    _
   /-\h, but external drives can be daisy-chained to other SCSI peripherals
as well as partitioned and connected to more than one computer.  Also, one
doesn't need to worry about an external drive not working with an upgrade
because it doesn't fit inside the (possibly) new case.  Now, don't take me
me wrong and think this is an argument aganst internal hard drives.  These
are just considerations one has to make when buying a hard drive.  As a
matter of fact, if an internal drive had been available when I was shopping
for my hard drive, I would have bought it.

>							Ken.
>  						  ken-b@uiuc.edu
  ___________                         ARPA: lunatic@uscsb.UCSC.EDU        /
    ________/                         Internet: lunatic%ucscb@ucscc.edu  /
      ____//           _  ___     _   UUCP: ...!ucscc!ucscb!lunatic     /
     ___///__ {_} |\| /-\  |  ][ {_   GEnie: L.BRUCE  (Lunatic Bruce)  /
    __________________________________________________________________/  (:

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/20/89)

     It all depends on any future need for SCSI devices: If you're going to
be connecting SCSI devices to your computer (multiple drives, etc.) then an
external SCSI drive would be a better decision.  I like the idea of having
a SCSI drive, but I don't plan on going to a Mac for a personal computer.
It just depends on the specific person.
     Does anyone know of any recent hard drive testing, reviewing, 'bench-
marking,' etc. articles in any magazines?  For the Apple II, that is.

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu

jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) (11/21/89)

> Might I ask you why you spent $1800 on a 100 meg Vulcan ...

I wasn't saying what I paid for it. I was pointing to the ridiculous fact that
such a high-end hard drive has a 20-cent fan in it. I didn't buy the Vulcan,
but rather reviewed it for inCider and still have it on loan.

Other than the noisy fan, it's a great drive. Great enough, in fact, that many
people will consider it worth the price difference between it and the low-end
homebrews you're touting. Although I think my favorite setup is my SCSI drive
with Multi-Kache SCSI controller.... it's fast like nothing you've ever
dreamed.

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy@nosc.mil
INET: jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com
America Online: JOEA17, First Word
Direct: Pro-Houston, (713) 526-9607, 3-2400 bps

lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) (11/23/89)

I recently purchased an OKS Multi-cache card; and I'm learning to love it too.
I guess it will really shine when they come out with the Inner Drive option;
then I can hook up my AI drive and go at warp speed.

The strangest thing about this card though is that it loads everything in your
drives when it starts up.  It boots up the 5.25 drive first; then starts on
the 3.5's.  You can start using the first program while the others are loading
in.  Also, if you insert a blank disk it keeps trying to read it... It's
incredibly fast; especially if you have a program that keeps accessing the
disk (like Test Drive II, for instance).

It doesn't read any of the French stuff; or some protected software (if it's
deprotected; it works fine, though).  Ha!  Another major incentive for
software that's not copy-protected.  You have to detach the connector and plug
it back into the smartport to use this stuff.  OKS sells some kind of
switchbox to avoid doing all this manipulating; however, it's extra bucks.

Another thing that's strange is if you hook up more than 2 drives, your 3.5's
are relocated to slot 2.  The 5.25 drive is constantly blinking; I'm
considering plugging it back into the smartport, and just using the 3.5's on
the card.

I really like it so far.  You can buy one for $265 from OKS unpopulated. The
price of 1-meg chips are fairly low now (I've heard of $40 a bank if you buy
them in bulk... unbelievable).  This card is much more affordable than it was
a year ago.

Lynda

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com