[comp.sys.apple] Support Apple II's

macduff@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Roger R. Espinosa) (11/09/89)

In article <113300145@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> Start out with the Macintosh.  Sure, the high resolution is nice, but where's
> the color?  You say it's in the Mac II?  For the price of a Mac II, you could
> buy a fairly nice car.  (Or a truck.  I saw a Mac IIcx advertised with a list
> price of $16000.  My father paid less for his Chevy S-10 Blazer--and it's
> pretty nice.  What gives?)  Consider the so-called "workstation monitor" that
> I saw in MacUser yesterday.  The 21-inch grayscale monitor and interface cost
> $3000.  Get real!  For that price, I could get a IIGS and load it!  Some of
> the software for the Mac leaves a lot to be desired, too.  I've had several
> DAs crash the system for me--and then sometimes the system itself crashes!
> The "Sorry, a system error occurred" dialog box may or may not work, depending
> (so it seems) on the mood the computer is in.  I don't need that from a
> computer.  Finally, the software is ridiculously priced.  $750 for MPW?
> I paid a paltry $50 for the MicroSPARC Assembler, and Applesoft is built in to
> every II.

Yes, you can load a IIGS for $3000, but you *aren't* *getting* *anywhere*
*near* the same functionality as a Mac II with a color screen.  Hey, let's
add more colors ... wait! The RESOLUTION STAYS THE SAME! Jeez.  From what
I've gathered via the net, NEITHER the IIGS or the Amiga can make that
claim.

Expensive? Yes. But they're not the same, and can't even be compared.
$750 for MPW? Hardly, I'm sorry.  Mine came with TML Pascal for $150. Even
from APDA it's far less than $750 if all you're going to compare it with
is the MicroSPARC Assembler.  And me, I love MPW, even though there are
cheaper languages avaiable; the UNIX-flavor of MPW is wonderful; *I* love
it.

Get real. Anything on the high-end of technology costs bucks. ANYTHING.
Geez. When the VIC-20 came out it was heralded as being cheap. At $550.
My old TI 99/4A cost $200. The disk drive interface (never did buy it)
cost >$500.  Has anything ever come cheap?

> My IIe has served me well for over four years now.  It's gotten me through
> high school, and has come with me to college, to go up against the "big boys."
> Given a modem, a 3.5" drive, and a few more add-ons, I'm sure the IIe can
> "duke it out" against the Mac or (ugh!) any MS-DOS machine to come down the
> pike.  If I ever get another computer, it will probably be a IIGS.  The
> competition simply doesn't impress me.

My //c served me through college, too.  When I decided that I really wanted
to program in Pascal and C, though, there weren't too many options open to
me.  I played with Kyan Pascal for a year, and although I really enjoyed
it, trying to use double hires graphics always killed the projects
memorywise.  I decided I didn't want to redefine the mouse-interface, and
bought an SE.

Why not a IIGS? Because, geez, everything I kept reading was that it was
slow as sin.  Because when I went to try a word processor, it kinda
grinded to a halt.  Because, geez, I'm kinda useless when it came to
color, and decided that slow speed + software that was still acheing
for a umbrella interface wasn't worth it.

And I'm not trying to put the IIGS down, really. Different computers
serve different needs.  I can't understand why people still hold to
the "One Computer For Everything" metaphor.  Geez. Louise.

> ! Scott Alfter        !   Go   ! McCoy:  ...they don't exactly like you.      !
> ! alftersoft@uiuc.edu ! Illini ! Kirk:  I know, Bones.  The feeling's mutual. !

Roger Espinosa
rre@ihlpn.ATT.COM

Hm. I seem to recall lotsa // programs that died, too, when new models
were introduced because of the "HEY! LET'S IGNORE THE APPLE GUIDELINES"
philosophy.  The Mac has guidelines, too, but people break them, and *that's*
the cause of lots of system failures, especially these days when the
Mac system is maturing rapidly.

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (11/09/89)

>> By the way, I just received some very lovely marketing mail from Apple in my
>> mailbox, very slick advertising. The first piece that I received which was 2
>> days ago was a very slick, very glossy flyer on why I should go out to my
>> local dealer and bring a Mac II, IIcx or Mac SE home for a test drive until
>> January 15th at no charge to me.  No mention of bringing home a GS.
>
> I haven't seen that flyer, but my understanding is that the GS *is* part of
> that offer.

If the GS is part of that offer, it wasn't readily descernable.  All I saw
were mentions of the Mac units and pictures of Macs.  If the GS was mentioned,
it must of been in the fine print.  I didn't completly analyse the brouchure,
I just scanned over it like the normal mail reading public would do.

-- Bob
_________________________ Pro-Graphics  201/469-0049 __________________________

InterNet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com          |       ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl          |        CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil |  Amer. Online: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

estell@m.cs.uiuc.edu (11/09/89)

/* Written  1:33 pm  Nov  6, 1989 by bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apple */

<stuff deleted here...>

>Today I recieved another piece of mail from Apple.  Very slick envelope with a
>pull tab (don't need a letter opener) inside is a nice coverletter with the
>huge heading "Get cash back when you buy a new Apple."  It goes through a
>bunch prose about how I've seen the results of using my Apple to turn a profit
>and how I can get cash back on peripherals if I purchase a "qualifying" Apple
>system.  Well, I can tell you right now there was no mention of ANY // series
>system as being a qualifying system.

You missed the fine print.  On the back of the glossy fold-out and also on the
back of the "Save this card." insert, in *very small* letters, they mention
that one of the computers that qualify for the Apple Free Trial Run is the
Apple IIGS.  That is the *only* place the Apple IIGS is mentioned - throughout
the rest of the highly-profiled stuff Apple leads you to believe that only
various flavors of Macintoshes are available through this offer.  Deceptive
garbage such as this makes me more likely to *not* buy a Mac for my next
computer, or to recommend that a Mac be purchased.

>Doesn't this say anything to you people??  Don't you see what's happening.  If
>you don't, then I guess anyone who says anything the least bit negative about
>how the Marketing department is handling the // line is blowing hot air.

/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.apple */

Unfortunately, the message is coming through loud and clear.... I'm just
grateful that there are people at Apple who do care about the // (as well
as giving us the best tech. support in the business - thanks to the folks
at DTS - your efforts are highly appreciated).

John Estell
CS Dept - Univ of Illinois

jg108@umd5.umd.edu (Martin Walser) (11/10/89)

In article <113300145@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> Start out with the Macintosh.  Sure, the high resolution is nice, but where's
> the color?  You say it's in the Mac II?  For the price of a Mac II, you could
> buy a fairly nice car.  (Or a truck.  I saw a Mac IIcx advertised with a list
> price of $16000.  My father paid less for his Chevy S-10 Blazer--and it's
> pretty nice.  What gives?)

First off, this statement in fairly inaccurate. Here at Maryland, a student
can get a Mac IIcx LOADED with all kinds of stuff for under $4500. I mean, the
whole 9 yards. 40meg hard drive, color monitor/card, 4megs RAM, some software,
printer, etc.... Right now it's the IIci <--- note the "i" that's the big bucks
machine because of all the latest stuff it's got. But that price will come down
in time. Also, software is not as expensive as you make it out to be. I have a
Mac II that I've invested about $6000 in but it has everything I need for the
time being. Tons of software, multi-tasking ability and <zoooom!> speed.

>My IIe has served me well for over four years now.  It's gotten me through
>high school, and has come with me to college, to go up against the "big boys."
>Given a modem, a 3.5" drive, and a few more add-ons, I'm sure the IIe can
>"duke it out" against the Mac or (ugh!) any MS-DOS machine to come down the
>pike.  If I ever get another computer, it will probably be a IIGS.  The
>competition simply doesn't impress me.

Woo! Hefty words there. :-) I had a //c all through high school but as a comp-
sci major I knew I'd need something that could really pull the workload. Even
though one could do alot with the old //'s (like mine) and probably even more
with the GS, you really can't make hard-core comparisons like that until you
actually sit down with BOTH a Mac and a GS and USE them... not just gloss over
some of the basic features, truly USE them. I had my heart set on a GS toward
the end of high school until I actually sat down with a Mac. (There was one at
work that I used on/off). And it really redefined my views. Now I wouldn't give
up my Mac for 10 GS's or even MS-DOS machines (shudder). (Well, ok, I'd sell
them and upgrade even further, but that's beside the point).
But then, that's my opinion. If the GS suits your needs, then by all means it
is the computer to buy, but if you do decide to get a new computer, go into
a purchase with an open mind.

Martin (jg108@umd5.umd.edu)

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (11/11/89)

I've a friend with an Amiga and sign on to his board from time to time to
chat. Browsing the comments guess what I see. ' Why doesn't Commodore provide
cheaper expansion', ' I can get an IBM drive cheaper than the C= one', 'Why
isn't any Mac software ported over yet?', 'Why isn't the 1000 still
supported?'. An IBM conference on another board complained about the lack of
sound quality, ease of use and general unreliability of certain clones.

I guess the grass really is 'greener on the other side of the fence'. Everyone
complains about what their particular machine can't do, but don't accept that
the machine that can do it can't do something you are already doing. All
designs accept trade-offs. IBM designed their machines for business, sound is
low on business want lists, ease of use is also low since MIS takes care of
training anyway (they have for years). The Amiga is designed for the
Home/Entertainment market and thus lacks much of the connectivity for use in
business. The Mac wass designed in response to the PC (i'm gonna get letters
for that!) and all Mac's thus easy to use and connect, but difficult to expand
(until recently).

I guess you only see the crabgrass in the lawn when you're standing in it.

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (11/11/89)

In article <5595@umd5.umd.edu> jg108@umd5.umd.edu (Martin Walser) writes:

Somebody else (I erased the name, sorry) writes:
>>My IIe has served me well for over four years now.  It's gotten me through
>>high school, and has come with me to college, to go up against the "big boys."

Martin says:
>Woo! Hefty words there. :-) I had a //c all through high school but as a comp-
>sci major I knew I'd need something that could really pull the workload.

I'm a computer science major too, and a lot of the work we do is on
mainframes, not micros.  Not even the Mac IIci can "pull the workload!"
All I need is a machine to act as a terminal between me and the VAX,
which any Apple II would be perfect for.  I think this may be true for
a lot of students.

The Mac does have an advantage in graphics: VersaTerm has the ability
to emulate a Tektronix graphics terminal, while I haven't seen any
Apple II program do that yet.

>... you really can't make hard-core comparisons like that until you
>actually sit down with BOTH a Mac and a GS and USE them... not just gloss over
>some of the basic features, truly USE them.

I've used both extensively and I still prefer the IIgs.

>But then, that's my opinion. If the GS suits your needs, then by all means it
>is the computer to buy, but if you do decide to get a new computer, go into
>a purchase with an open mind.

Ditto.

>Martin (jg108@umd5.umd.edu)

Howard C. Huang
huang@husc4.harvard.edu
huang@husc4.BITNET
huang@husc4.UUCP

scorpio@pro-harvest.cts.com (Robert Scorpio) (11/11/89)

Hear, hear, Ray!  I, too, am a happy IIGS owner.. and I am majoring in
computer science, so I do know what's out there and what it can do. To the
fellow who said, "What's a matter boy can't handle a man's computer?", I have
a few things to say.  First off, if you must constantly insult and put down
other users choice of computer equipment, you must not be very content or
secure about your own choice in equipment.  A
Also, many things that an IBM can accomplish at 12-15 mhz, the GS can
accomplish at a mere 2.8.  Raw processor speed doesn't mean diddly.  Its what
that processor does that counts.

rs

daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (11/11/89)

Hear, hear, Ray!  I, too, am a happy IIGS owner.. and I am majoring in
computer science, so I do know what's out there and what it can do. To the
fellow who said, "What's a matter boy can't handle a man's computer?", I have
a few things to say. $First off, if you must constantly insult and put down
other users cloice of$computer equipment, you must not be very content or
secure about your own choice in$equipment.  A
Also, many things that an IBM can accomplish at 12-15 mhz, the GS can
accomplish at a mere 2.<.  Raw processor speed doesn't mean diddly.  Its what
that processor does that counts.

rs

jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) (11/12/89)

(This is from a IIc, then IIgs owner)

Scott, I'm glad you can get all the use you need out of your IIe. That's why
I started with a IIc and went up to the IIgs.  It's been my policy to find
the software I need first, and then buy the computer that runs it.  But now
the software I need is HyperCard, and there's *nothing* like it for the II.
If the rumor about HyperCard for the IIgs is true, then a lot of third party
companies are gonna make some money when I rev of my system.  Until then I
have to figure out what to do with this dust that keeps collecting on my gs.

*

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (11/13/89)

In article <5595@umd5.umd.edu> jg108@umd5.umd.edu (Martin Walser) writes:

>can get a Mac IIcx LOADED with all kinds of stuff for under $4500. I mean, the
>whole 9 yards. 40meg hard drive, color monitor/card, 4megs RAM, some software,
>printer, etc.... Right now it's the IIci <--- note the "i" that's the big bucks

A similar IIgs would be under $2,500 retail, if Apple had educational prices
for the IIgs it would be less than $1,500.

>with the GS, you really can't make hard-core comparisons like that until you
>actually sit down with BOTH a Mac and a GS and USE them... not just gloss over

I'm a programmer and I own both a IIgs and a Mac SE.  My IIgs is much more
flexible and faster with a TransWarp than my SE.  It's just more fun to use
too.  I only crank up the SE when I have to program something on it.  Some
folks don't even have $4,500 to spend on a computer so we are talking about
two vastly different price ranges here.

Rick
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

In article <3129@husc6.harvard.edu> huang@husc4.UUCP (Howard Huang) writes:

>The Mac does have an advantage in graphics: VersaTerm has the ability
>to emulate a Tektronix graphics terminal, while I haven't seen any
>Apple II program do that yet.

There used to be a program called TekTerm II that emulated some of the
monochrome Tek terminals on the Apple II.

Rick
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/13/89)

dlyons@apple.com wrote:

!>[...]
!
!I haven't seen that flyer, but my understanding is that the GS *is* part of
!that offer.

I saw a paragraph the other day in U.S. News & World Report.  It does say that
the GS is included in this offer.

Note, however, that neither the IIe nor the IIc Plus are included in this
offer.  Might this mean anything?

! Scott Alfter        !   Go   ! McCoy:  ...they don't like you very much.    !

In article <4514@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) writes:

>>can get a Mac IIcx LOADED with all kinds of stuff for under $4500. I mean, the
>>whole 9 yards. 40meg hard drive, color monitor/card, 4megs RAM, some software,
>>printer, etc.... Right now it's the IIci <--- note the "i" that's the big bucks
>
>A similar IIgs would be under $2,500 retail, if Apple had educational prices
>for the IIgs it would be less than $1,500.

Ahem...Apple *does* have educational prices for all its products.  Most people
just don't happen to be schools.

>Rick
>rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."

In article <113300149@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Note, however, that neither the IIe nor the IIc Plus are included in this
>offer.  Might this mean anything?

>! Scott Alfter        !   Go   ! McCoy:  ...they don't like you very much.    !
>! alftersoft@uiuc.edu ! Illini ! Kirk:  I know, Bones.  The feeling's mutual. !

Yes, it might.  It might mean Apple's promotion people felt the IIe and IIc
Plus would not benefit or did not need the advantages offered by a holiday
promotional campaign.  You didn't point out that the Mac Plus, Portable and
IIci are also not included in the campaign.

When I came to Apple, people told me that every move would be analyzed to death
and I didn't believe it.  I guess I was just naive.  The only thing I haven't
heard proposed yet is that the Apple Executive Staff are all secret members
of the Illuminati.

On Mon, 13 Nov 89 14:47:00 GMT you said:
>Ahem...Apple *does* have educational prices for all its products.  Most people
>just don't happen to be schools.

Even though I'm NOT a 'school,' I can use my Universitty ID to purchase (once
every 5 years or some such) a PS/2, Zenith PC (the laptops are attractively
priced) or a <tah, tah> Macintosh (as can ANY student or member of the faculty
or staff).  I haven't asked if the IIgs is on the list from Apple, but the
gist of other messages I've seen is that it's not.  You seem to be saying that
a SCHOOL (K-12?) can get a discoount on a IIgs but NOT a student majoring in
education (which WOULD mean that the NEXT generation of school purchases is
likely to be PS/2 Model 30-286's or Zeniths -- educationally satisfactory and
MUCH less expensive than comparable Mac-SE's <I doubt you can foist Mac+'s
off on the next generation of teachers>).

Mac's are very nice, but there's the reality of school district budgets.  The
local elementary schools here bought a bunch of Commodore 64's on the "more
bang for the buck" principle (the elementary schools are happy with LOGO,
the Bank Street Writer, Print Shop, and the Carmen San Diego series).  If the
middle school were to ask, I'd recommend Laser 128's (although the local
middle school HAS been buying IIgs's, they run little software that won't
run on the Laser's AND they can't afford nearly enough IIgs's for classroom
instruction -- the teachers mostly use the IIgs's with DataView projectors).

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (11/14/89)

In article <36423@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:

>>A similar IIgs would be under $2,500 retail, if Apple had educational prices
>>for the IIgs it would be less than $1,500.
>>
>Ahem...Apple *does* have educational prices for all its products.  Most people
>just don't happen to be schools.

By "educational prices" I meant student discounts like those available for the
Mac, I should have been more precise.

BTW- Why doesn't Apple include the IIgs in that program?  It would be great
for hardware experimentation and learning among other things.

Rick
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

anarch@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (The Anarch) (11/14/89)

In article <36423@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>In article <4514@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) writes:
>>
>>A similar IIgs would be under $2,500 retail, if Apple had educational prices
>>for the IIgs it would be less than $1,500.
>>
>Ahem...Apple *does* have educational prices for all its products.  Most people
>just don't happen to be schools.

Ahem...my school claims that they cannot get Apple II stuff, only Macs.  I'm not
sure if they mean for the school or for students, but either way it seems a bit
screwed to me.
--
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-anarch@dartmouth.edu+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
There is no governor anywhere;|Thy hand, great Anarch! lets the curtain fall,

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (11/14/89)

In article <16865@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> anarch@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (The Anarch) writes:
>In article <36423@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>>In article <4514@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) writes:
>>>
>>>A similar IIgs would be under $2,500 retail, if Apple had educational prices
>>>for the IIgs it would be less than $1,500.
>>>
>>Ahem...Apple *does* have educational prices for all its products.  Most people
>>just don't happen to be schools.
>
>Ahem...my school claims that they cannot get Apple II stuff, only Macs.  I'm not
>sure if they mean for the school or for students, but either way it seems a bit
>screwed to me.

Prior to joining Apple, I was a student rep for Apple at UCLA.  I worked in
the computer store there as well.

At the time I was there, no Apple II family computer was available for personal
purchase by a student or faculty or staff member through the Higher Education
Purchase Program offered by Apple.

On the other hand, the institution itself (UCLA in my case), could purchase
Apple II family computers through the Higher Education Purchase Program
for institutional use.

I will leave it to others at Apple to explain why this is the case.

Rick Fleischman
Developer Channels/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail:  rickf@apple.com
AppleLink:  FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

kreme@netcom.UUCP (Lewis Butler) (11/14/89)

In article <36426@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>When I came to Apple, people told me that every move would be analyzed to death
>and I didn't believe it.  I guess I was just naive.  The only thing I haven't
>heard proposed yet is that the Apple Executive Staff are all secret members
>of the Illuminati.

You mean they're not?  I always assumed the Executive staff at IBM where part
of Discodia, and the Illuminati surely must have control of one of the other
computer companies.  I sure hope it isn't Commiedor...

--
|  apple!netcom!kreme  |All the towns in America and I have to move to |
|The real cycle you're |the Bermuda Triangle.  Nightmare on Elm Street |

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (11/14/89)

In article <113300149@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>dlyons@apple.com wrote:

>!In article <4313.apple_ii.info-apple@pro-graphics> bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) writes:
>!>[...]
>!>By the way, I just received some very lovely marketing mail from Apple in my
>!>mailbox, very slick advertising.  The first piece that I received which was 2
>!>days ago was a very slick, very glossy flyer on why I should go out to my
>!>local dealer and bring a Mac II, IIcx or Mac SE home for a test drive until
>!>January 15th at no charge to me.  No mention of bringing home a GS.
>!
>!I haven't seen that flyer, but my understanding is that the GS *is* part of
>!that offer.

>I saw a paragraph the other day in U.S. News & World Report.  It does say that
>the GS is included in this offer.

>Note, however, that neither the IIe nor the IIc Plus are included in this
>offer.  Might this mean anything?

>! Scott Alfter        !   Go   ! McCoy:  ...they don't like you very much.    !
>! alftersoft@uiuc.edu ! Illini ! Kirk:  I know, Bones.  The feeling's mutual. !

Ah yes, we have received several of those slick advertising things signed
by the President of Apple USA, and I might suggest you do with yours what
we are going to do with ours.. Send them right back to the person that
signed them, and tell him that if he feels it is beneath him to affix
his signature to a document containing the words Apple II or Apple GS
that he do two things.. Keep his "junk" mail, and resign the position
since it is clear from the letter that either he dosen't know his own
product line and/or care about it, nor does he even know the details
of the very promotion he is writing about..

In addition, as Apple owners we feel offended and slighted..

We are also going to send copies of the letter we enclose to him to the
various Apple II publications, and perhaps to Business Wire, the same
service Apple uses to reach editors world wide with their financial
disclosure information as required by the SEC... Perhaps if a few editors
run with it, not only will he get a message, but so will the stockholders..

If you don't like our ideas, fine, come up with one of your own, but do
SOMETHING... Let's not take this outright kick in the pants sitting down..

--
    bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL: BSHERMAN
>>  Miami's Big Apple - 305-948-8000 - 24 hours - 300/1200 - PCP'able  <<
>>  Oldest Apple support board in Southeast. Now in it's ninth year.   <<

danr@pro-tcc.cts.com (Dan Roberts) (11/14/89)

I never took amy marketing classes but I did spend some time in the retail
world. All this discussion of the Apple Fall Promotion is interesting. Has
anyone considered what I always thought was generally true. ie. One promotes
the products he needs to move. If something is selling like hotcakes without
promotion and at a higher price the best thing to do is keep your mouth shut
and rake in the dough. If you are sitting on a warehouse's full of unsold
inventory you pump it with all the promotion you can.

Just a thought.

Dan

Daniel Roberts            Proline: danr@pro-tcc
50 East Mound Street      CI$:     71271,1437
Columbus OH 43215         INET:    danr@pro-tcc.cts.com
                          UUCP:    crash!pnet01!pro-tcc!danr

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (11/15/89)

From article <0.apple.info-apple@pro-fishunt>, by garym@pro-fishunt.cts.com (Gary McClain):

> Maybe I'm a kid at heart, but I'm a happy Apple II owner, and don't
> apologize for it either. Am I the only one?

I'm a happy Apple II owner too.

> Proline: garym@pro-fishunt

| Grampa says when he was a kid they did math with a trig. book|
|  Phil Lindberg	      snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST    |
| UUCP: ..!uunet!bcstec!tahoma!prl3546    Renton, WA 98056     |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not      |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	       |

dkl@pro-houston.cts.com (David Karl Leikam) (11/15/89)

In CS-ID: #2646.cortland/info-apple@pro-houston  mattd@apple.com (Matt
Deatherage) writes

>When I came to Apple, people told me that every move would be analyzed to
>death and I didn't believe it.  I guess I was just naive.  The only thing I
>haven't heard proposed yet is that the Apple Executive Staff are all secret
>members of the Illuminati.

  Ummm. I almost hate to mention this, but the last Illuminati deck I saw,
_had_ an Apple Computer Co. card in it.  This may have been homegrown, but...

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!dkl
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!dkl@nosc.mil
INET: dkl@pro-houston.cts.com

dkl@pro-houston.cts.com (David Karl Leikam) (11/15/89)

In GS-ID: #2646.cortland/info-appleDpro-houston  mattd@apple.com (Matt
Deatherage) writes

mikes@shumv1.uucp (Michael Steele) (11/18/89)

In article <16865@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> anarch@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (The Anarch) writes:
>In article <36423@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>>In article <4514@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) writes:
>>>
>>>A similar IIgs would be under $2,500 retail, if Apple had educational prices
>>>for the IIgs it would be less than $1,500.
>>>
>>Ahem...Apple *does* have educational prices for all its products.  Most people
>>just don't happen to be schools.
>
>Ahem..my school claims that they cannot get Apple II stuff, only Macs.  I'm not
>sure if they mean for the school or for students, but either way it seems a bit
>screwed to me.

************* Flame thrower on!  (look out marketing types!)**********
Ohh yes, I went through this argument with the Marketing fiends at
the Boston Applefest.  I go to NC STATE University and they sell LOTS of
Macs here, but know nothing of the GS's!  Of course Apple gives them the
option of selling the GS's but certainly doesn't suggest doing so. ALL
of the Apple marketing in this area is geared toward the Mac.  It
disgusts me to see the Mac being pushed so fervently toward students who
can't afford them...even at the cut rate prices offered.  A GS would give
a student a sufficient amount of power at an affordable price.  OF
Course Apple can't have college students running around with GS's
though!  "They just aren't powerful enough to handle a college demands!"

The NCSU music department bought 3 GS's to use in sound training but
abanded them when the local Apple dealer (really a Mac dealer) told them
the GS's were "useless, not powerful enough" and suggested they buy
Macs!!!!!!!  So the music department has to wait a couple of years before
they can get enough money to purchase these more "powerful" Macs!

I commend people like Matt and other AIIDTS folks on the net who further
the GS "cause".  The people at fault are the marketing slime who
evidently run Apple Corporate now!  My only cause for hope is that the
new Developers Association will be able to convince marketing that the
GS really is a viable solution for small businesses and students as well
as the K-12 market.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Michael Steele			mikes@shumv1.ncsu.edu
	mikes@ccvr1.ncsu.edu 		ALINK: MikeSteele
	mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu	 	BITNET: netoprms@ncsuvm.bitnet

lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com (Lynda Botez) (11/20/89)

Michael Steele writes:

>I commend people like Matt and other AIIDTS folks on the net who further
>the GS cause.  The people at fault are the marketing slime who evidently
>run Apple Corporate now!  ...

Gulp...  Those are rather harsh words to bandy about [not that I'm fond of
Apple marketing either, but still...]   :-)

This Apple II/Macintosh dispute has been going on ever since the Macintosh was
introduced.  The Apple II division wasn't exactly fond of the Macintosh when
it first came around either.

However; I truely believe Apple has come to their senses, and will hopefully
redefine the marketing strategy for the IIGS.  We're not just schools; there
is a viable home market out there just waiting to be sold on the Apple IIGS.

I understand there are a few Apple IIGS commercials being shown around the
country (anyone on the net seen one?).  I think it was in Houston, or
something.  Apple apparently has a run a few television commercials in cities
where they feel people would invest in an Apple II.  If you live in New York
or LA, forget it.  It's Mac city (at least that's what marketing believes).
Why can't they see that the two machines can co-exist with each other?  Hey,
some people even buy BOTH!

I also heard a rumor that Apple has actually HIRED a couple of new marketing
people.  Change is *perhaps* in the air.

Lynda

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez
INET: lbotez@pnet02.gryphon.com

jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) (11/21/89)

This is presented as an example (counterexample?)

At my educational institution (Baylor College of Medicine) Apple gives
an educational discount which includes both faculty and students, and also
includes both Mac's and GS's.

*

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (11/22/89)

From article <4422.apple_ii.info-apple@pro-graphics>, by bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury):

>>> By the way, I just received some very lovely marketing mail from Apple in my
>>> [...] No mention of bringing home a GS.
>>
>> I haven't seen that flyer, but my understanding is that the GS *is* part of
>> that offer.
>
> If the GS is part of that offer, it wasn't readily descernable.  All I saw
> were mentions of the Mac units and pictures of Macs.  If the GS was mentioned,
> it must of been in the fine print.  I didn't completly analyse the brouchure,
> -- Bob

I heard an ad for this on the radio (Seattle,Wa.) and was please that each
time they mentioned the computer types available they said both MAC *AND*
Apple IIgs ! , (not just IIgs, but Apple IIgs).  This was done atleast three
times and I was listening closely because of the conversations here on the
net.

Maybe you guys should move out of your "MAC" states,
and up here into "Apple II country"!  8-)

Phil

| Grampa says when he was a kid they did math with a trig. book|
| Phil Lindberg	      		 snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| UUCP: ..!uunet!bcstec!tahoma!prl3546    Renton, WA 98056     |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not      |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	       |

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.COM (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (11/22/89)

The official word in the frozen north is that apple //'s are for K-8, Mac's
9-death. This was as of Feb. 89, might K-3 by now. Fact is Apple Canada does
realize that the // is made by their company ( never did carry the //c+ and
have now discounted the c and e). If Buffalo weren't so close, I'd likely not
have an apple today.

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (11/26/89)

Guys! Look, if Apple can try to kick out the Apple II line today, then there is
a probability of 1 (which is 100%) that Apple will kick out their Macs
TOMORROW!
Am I wrong? I dunno, but the human history showed that it is always like that.