[comp.sys.apple] Super Mario Brothers For Apple II

davely@mcrware.UUCP (Dave Lyons) (11/22/89)

	A friend of mine who has an Apple IIe but is not otherwise
computationaly inclined asked me if I could track down a version
of Super Mario Brothers (like the one on Nintendo I think) for
his machine.  I looked through the ads in an Apple II magazine
but didn't see anything.  Any information anyone might have would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot, Dave

 Dave Lyons - ...!sun!mcrware!davely  | On Second though let's not go to
 My employer laughs at my opinions.   | Camelot... 'Tis a silly place

11HLAYTON@GALLUA.BITNET (CYBERPUNK) (11/23/89)

        No, I havent seen a version of SMB for the Apple II, but I have
played a version of SMB on the C-64.  It was originally an European game
(not SMB) that played alot like SMB.  Some hackers cracked it and changed it
to look like SMB.  It's alot of fun!!! (Maybe the same could be done if u could
find a game that played like SMB.) By thje way the name of the European game
was Siena Sisters, I think.  Good luck!
        P.S. What is the Nintendo CPU? and could a board be made that would
have a cable running from it to a slot that u could put carts in it and u
could play your nintendo carts on a II, or any other computer?

                                                Cyberpunk
                                                11hlayton@gallua.bitnet

        "Thou art God"
        - Valentine Michael Smith
              <Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein>

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (11/23/89)

Dave Lyons <mcrware!davely@uunet.uu.net> writes:
>         A friend of mine who has an Apple IIe but is not otherwise
> computationaly inclined asked me if I could track down a version
> of Super Mario Brothers (like the one on Nintendo I think) for
> his machine.  I looked through the ads in an Apple II magazine
> but didn't see anything.  Any information anyone might have would
> be greatly appreciated.

Honestly, I haven't seen Nintendo games on ANY computer system!!

I believe Nintendo intends for people to bu y their machine whether
they have a home computer already or not.

I would LOVE to be wrong about this one.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                  |   Support     | Disclaimer:            |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |     Free      |  The above represent my|
|r746jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |      Software |  opinions, alone.      |
|a student at Carnegie Mellon U.  |               |  Void where prohibited.|

jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) (11/23/89)

Jeremy Mereness writes:
> Honestly, I haven't seen Nintendo games on ANY computer system!!

I know one guy (who writes game software for a living) who has designed his
own IIGS board to run a Nintendo. And I believe that sanctioned Nintendo
development is done using an IBM cross-compiler. The Nintendo itself uses a
65xx logic chip ...

So their stuff can and does run on real computers, although it may not be real
easy to make it happen. Or real worth it.

Real worth it? Is that a sentence?

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy@nosc.mil
INET: jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com
America Online: JOEA17, First Word
Direct: Pro-Houston, (713) 526-9607, 3-2400 bps

TSEAL@ALASKA.BITNET ("The Spanish Inquisition") (11/24/89)

Is there a Super Mario Brothers for the Apple II?  If so, this is the first
that I have heard of it.  Please tell me if you do find one; I would be
interested in getting my own....
        Also, I see you are a Monty Python fan!  I just love sending letters of
to intelligent, cultured people such as yourself.
"What do you mean?  An African or European swallow?"
-Eric

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (11/26/89)

Surprisely (but not for those who knows) that the CPU in the Nitendo is the
very famous 6502! However, I believe that they included some sound chip and
graphic chips so they seems to have batter graphic and sound. The size of the
board should not be really that large as the case as I used to play on the
japanese' original Nitendo home video games. The size of the case is less then
1/4 of the American version. (After all, I was surprised when I saw that the
American Nitendo is a HUGE box.) BTW, I've seen some "Nitendo clones" which are
made in Hong Kong, Korea, and Taiwan, there size are even smaller then the
original Japanese one; so I believe that it is "possible" to make a card to
play Nitendo games on an Apple II family.

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.COM (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (11/26/89)

I seem to recall the nintedo using Z80 CPU's. Wish I could remember where I
read the article, Compute! maybe, Incider? Nintedo also encrypts its
cartridges so that they can not be copied and so developers must sell they
products to big N in order to be published. Epyx (?) has apparently cracked
the code and intends to publish indepently. I can't see a Nintendo board being
particularly useful to a // user, we can already play 5000+ games of better
quality and for GS users superior G and superior S!!!

BTW have you seen the prices of cartridges, CAN$50 regardless of title (even
Wheel of Misfortune). Four software packages and you've exceeded the price of
the hardware.

"Never talk about anything you are entirely certain of, everyone needs
opinions"