[comp.sys.apple] Second 3.5" drive

ditz@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Michael R Ditz) (11/21/89)

     I am new to posting, but not reading, this news group.  First of all
I apologize for accidentally sending my SIGNOFF attempt to info-apple instead of
info-apple-request.  I got flames from people who's lives I seemed to
inconvenience by doing this.  I am new to this and I apologize.

     Now to my question.  I have an Apple IIGS with one 3.5" Apple brand
disk drive.  I would like to buy another 3.5" but don't want to pay Apple's
price.  I just saw an add for drives by American Micro Research.  I then
saw them priced by a company for $185.  If anyone has any type of 3.5" drive
and wishes to comment on its quality, I would greatly appreciate it.  I can
be reached using the address above.

                   Thanks,

                     Mike

johnr@pro-harvest.cts.COM (John Reilly) (11/23/89)

If it helps any, I have heard that in the quality department, next to Apple's
own 3.5" drive, AMR's 3.5" drive is the way to go.  I have heard that it is a
very nice, quality drive at a great price.  I am going to pick one up for
myself in the next few weeks.

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (11/27/89)

In article <8911210204.AA19305@en.ecn.purdue.edu> ditz@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Michael R Ditz) writes:
>disk drive.  I would like to buy another 3.5" but don't want to pay Apple's
>price.  I just saw an add for drives by American Micro Research.  I then
>saw them priced by a company for $185.  If anyone has any type of 3.5" drive
>and wishes to comment on its quality, I would greatly appreciate it.  I can
>be reached using the address above.
>
>                     Mike

The "unofficial" word from Ohio Kache Systems is that the AMR drive is
the ONLY Apple 3.5 Drive compatible available.  I had called with
problems on my II Plus and their Kache Card, and the first question was
whether I had an "Apple 3.5 Drive" or another 3.5 drive.  I got the
impression that the non-Apple 3.5 Drives give more problems (and my
benchmarks have shown other drives to be 6.4 times slower than the Apple
3.5 Drive when attached to a Laser UDC), and OKS wanted to see if my
problems were due to an inferior drive.  I have the Apple 3.5 Drive, but
the developer at OKS said the AMR drive was equivalent.  I also got the
impression that he didn't want me to repeat this (if you're listening,
sorry :-), probably because OKS doen't want to be in a position of
supporting the AMR drive.  So take this recommendation for what little
its worth.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP