[comp.sys.apple] Beagle Software

Les_Ferch.@MTSG.UBC.CA (11/25/89)

"iain the flippant" (no *I* didn't forget the capitals, *he* did) wrote:

>Fine, but I have never and never will be against piracy.

Is this a slip of the fingers?!?!?  If not... sad, very sad.

jb3o+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Jon Allen Boone) (11/25/89)

I didn't forget the capitals - I don't need capitals in my name!  How
important do you think that I think I am?  I only capitalize the
letter I because people would REALLY think I was crazy if I didn't.

Also, I'm sorry that you think it is sad that I am NOT against piracy.
I think it is sad that you ARE.  I also think it is sad that many
people believe that password protections and tokens, etc. are not only
necessary, but SHOULD BE WELCOME BY ALL.  Of course, large numbers of
these people also don't mind if they or someone else figures out a way
AROUND them, as long as they get to share in the benefits (and,
HOPEFULLY, don't get burned along the way).  It's hypocrisy like this
that I find sad.  I admit that I don't like to pay for software - and
I don't expect anyone to PAY ME for software.  Perhaps I might change
in the future, but for now, all the software I write is FREE.  I may
or may not even copyright it - i don't know.  I write software for a
reason - I enjoy it (or I was assigned to do it!)  Alot of the
software I write gets written in my SPARE TIME and is for a class that
I HAD TO PAY TO TAKE - so I'm paying in order to be able to write it.
I am interested in LEARNING the techniques used to produce software so
that I can produce better software - NOT so I can charge an ARM and a
LEG for it.  Besides, as the guys on the GNU boards can tell you, you
can always charge money for CONSULTING.  Give 'em the software and
charge 'em to help 'em use it!  (Of course, right now, I get payed by
the university to help people use the software that they have PAYED
for.  Fine by me.  Sometimes I even (GASP) help people and don't get
paid for it!!!)  Anyway, while I don't use University time or
facilities to pirate software (what do you think i WANT to lose my
job?) I still am not against it in principle.  It's like pirating
albumns, etc.  It's really hard on fledgling artists, as they don't
make much to begin with.  However, most people I know BUY the ablumns
from fledling artists as a show of sympathy and support.  They COPY
the albumns of such big name artists as BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN (SP?) or
MADONNA (SP?) because THEY CAN AFFORD IT!  They have made more money
than I will probably EVER make - so why should I have to spend large
amounts of my money to listen to them?  Why don't they get smart and
simply use their money to purchase shares of Memorex or 3M stocks -
that way they STILL can make money even when people BUY blank tapes to
record their albumns on.  Also, MOST music put out today is not worth
the money it costs - another reason why people may prefer to record
the albumn.  Anyway, piracy in general, whether of music or software
or even literature, is something that at this point in time I support.
Better that than nuclear weapons!  I'd rather STEAL software than die
due to NUCLEAR ANIHILATION (SP?) anyday!!!!!

(yeah, go ahead tell me it doesn't make sense - I don't care!)

 ___________________________ ______________________________________________
|                           |                                              |
|     iain the flippant     |   You'll PAY To Know What You REALLY Think   |
|                           |      Your MIND Left Intentionally Blank      |
|---------------------------|             Act Like A DumbShit,             |
|                           |       And They'll Treat You As An Equal      |
| Send $1 to:               |       If I Can't Whup It, I'll Go DOWN       |
| Rev. Worstishier Sawce    |      Fuck 'Em If They Can't Take A Joke      |
| 5115 Margarter Morrison   |       Pull The Wool Over Your Own Eyes       |
| Pittsburgh, PA 15213      |SCIENCE DOES NOT REMOVE THE TERROR OF THE GODS|
|___________________________|______________________________________________|

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/26/89)

     I sense another piracy string here.  I don't want to be a party pooper
so to speak, but could this be kept to email?  There will be just too many
people with conflicting opinions.  IMHO of course.  If everyone thinks this
is the proper place for deep emotional discussion on piracy (not AII specific
mind you,) then have at it.

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu

Les_Ferch.@MTSG.UBC.CA (11/27/89)

My humblist apologies for prompting any discussions on piracy.  I also do not
wish to see any more messages on the subject.  If I have anything more to say,
I'll make it private e-mail.  IMHO, this forum is best used for helping each
other solve technical problems.

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.COM (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (11/27/89)

question: If your programming assignments weren't awarded marks would you
still submit them on time, in working order and explain their uses?

Question: How big is big enough? Is Beagle (Timeout) big enough? What about
garde? Broderbund and EA are distributors, the companies that write the
software are usually one or two guys. I don't recall seeing anything published
with your name on it. If I did would you correct any bugs that crashed my
system or damaged my data disks? Even if I had paid you for them? OR even if I
hadn't?
 Question: If I used your code in my programs and then sold them would you
continue to publish programs?

question: If no software were available for your computer would you buy
another or wouuld you port the programs you wanted across?

I need not state the obvious, but think about this.