[comp.sys.apple] Apple II+ and /// questions

lyman@ZAPPA.UMD.EDU (Lyman Hurd) (11/25/89)

Hi.  I currently have an Apple II+ which startd life as an Apple II,
and a Sup'R'Terminal board.  Combined with Softerm it makes a pretty
good VT100.  I have been offered aan Apple III with 5M hard disk, and
have the following questions:

1. I bought on speculation a 65C02 chip and tried swapping it with the
existing 6502 to see if it could resolve some compatibility problems
with programs which run on a IIe but don't require 128K.  I got
garbage, although I recall being told once that the chip might be
usable if a few other chips were upgraded.  Is this possible?  Or
particularly deirable?  I am really a software person so keep details
down.

2. What software is available, preferably for nominal cost, for a III?
Also has anyone ever tried running Softerm on a III?  The CPU is being
given to me free, so I don't want the software costs to skyrocket, but
I will move my base of operations over to it if it can be made usable.

3. Failing the ability to make the III useful, is there a way to put
its (Apple) hard disk on the II under Prodos.  If so how cheaply can
this be accomplished?  Once again rememberthis is a II+ (not e or
c...) and an old one at that.

4. What is the address (phone #) for getting a Beagle Bros. catalog
and do any of the above-mentioned programs work on a II+?  I know, for
example, that the Appleworks extensions aren't of any use.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Lyman Hurd
Lab for Plasma Research
U of MD

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (11/28/89)

In article <8911251502.AA07254@zappa.UMD.EDU>, lyman@ZAPPA.UMD.EDU (Lyman Hurd) writes:
> I have been offered aan Apple III with 5M hard disk, and
> have the following questions:
>
> 2. What software is available, preferably for nominal cost, for a III?
> Also has anyone ever tried running Softerm on a III?  The CPU is being
> given to me free, so I don't want the software costs to skyrocket, but
> I will move my base of operations over to it if it can be made usable.

Contact Sun Remarketing of Logan, UT.  (No relation to Sun Microsystems,
btw.)  They still sell and service the Apple///.  Last time I heard (a few
weeks ago) they were selling a /// system including computer, monitor, and
software for around $300.)  They carry most of the interesting commercial
/// software, as well as some that never made it to market before the ///
was discontinued.

> 3. Failing the ability to make the III useful, is there a way to put
> its (Apple) hard disk on the II under Prodos.  If so how cheaply can
> this be accomplished?  Once again rememberthis is a II+ (not e or
> c...) and an old one at that.

Sure.  You need an Apple][ ProFile interface card.  You might have some
problems running things, though, since it requires Prodos (though you
*can* run it under Apple// Pascal).  The problem is that DOS 3.3 don't
know how to handle things bigger than a Disk][, roughly.  Maybe someone
knows a way around that.

If you *do* get it working, you'll find the beast is *really* fast to
boot from the hard disk.  Better to run from the ///, if you don't
have a //e.

------------

"...Then anyone who leaves behind him a written manual, and likewise
anyone who receives it, in the belief that such writing will be clear
and certain, must be exceedingly simple-minded..."

		Plato, _Phaedrus_ 275d

dkl@pro-europa.cts.COM (David Leikam) (11/28/89)

In CS-ID: #8868.cortland/info-apple@pro-europa, lyman@zappa.umd.edu (Lyman
Hurd) asks

  (a bunch of Apple /// and/or ProFile questions)

  Your best bet for all of the above is Sun Remarketing, which has taken over
support of all Apple's discontinued products. They can tell you what you need
to to just about all of what you want, and probably sell you the bits and
pieces you may need to do it - Including EasyTerm /// or Access /// for
communications.

  Sun Remarketing, Inc.
  p.o. Box 4059
  Locan, Utah 84321

  Customer Service  801-752-7631

  (Usual disclaimer -> I don't work with/for 'em, etc.)
----
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.com}
                        ...!crash!pro-europa!dkl
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!dkl@nosc.mil
INET: dkl@pro-europa.cts.com - BITNET: pro-europa.uucp!dkl@psuvax1