[comp.sys.apple] Organizing my disks

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.COM (Larry Virden) (11/25/89)

I need help organizing all the 3.5 and 5.25 inch disks around here.  I would
imagine the same thing applys to hard disks to some degree... I wouldnt know
<sniff sniff>.  I have all these disks, and it takes FOREVER to go searching
thru the 50-100 of them to find where in the world a particular program is.
Isnt there some software out there somewhere which would let me spend a few
days shoving disks in and out of my drives and end up with a COMPACT database
of what files are on what disks?  I could then generate reports, search for
names, etc.

Any ideas?
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (11/26/89)

In article <18.feeds.info-apple@pro-tcc> lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.COM (Larry Virden) writes:
>I need help organizing all the 3.5 and 5.25 inch disks around here.  I would
[ snip ]
>Isnt there some software out there somewhere which would let me spend a few
>days shoving disks in and out of my drives and end up with a COMPACT database
>of what files are on what disks?  I could then generate reports, search for
>names, etc.

Try AppleWorks.  You can stick all the info you want into the Zoomed view,
then just have the vital info on the tabular view mode.

This doesn't automate the process, but very few programs support ProDOS and
DOS 3.3, and you'd end up with a lot of extra file listings anyway (like
BASIC.SYSTEM listed 200 times).

About the best you can do is to sit down, take your (hopefully NUMBERED)
disks, and look at each one in turn.  Decide BEFORE YOU START what information
you want to keep; obviously filename and disk # are necessary, but you may
also want the filetype (small programs), #of disks required (large programs),
a brief description, a category (utility? game? 2-4 characters should do),
whether it runs under DOS 3.3 or ProDOS (or neither if it's copy protected),
if it's a freeware, shareware, or a commercial product, if it's GS-specific
or not, etc, etc, etc.

I have a rather large library, and I find AppleWorks well suited.  Being
able to print the list to the word processor is especially nice, because I
can print it into a file containing a description of all the cryptic
symbols I'm using...  And if all you want is a quick list of files by disk
or of disks by file, AW's record selection rules let you do it easily.

>Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
...!ucbvax!cory!fadden

jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) (11/26/89)

> I need help organizing all the 3.5 and 5.25 inch disks around here. Isnt
> there some software out there ...

Yeah, I wrote a CDA to do that but can't seem to get motivated to document it
and distribute it .. or decide what to call it ("Locator"? Find seems to be
taken) .. or whether it oughta be commercial .. etc.

Otherwise, there's nothing like that available. The Apple II world is sadly
lacking in a second-generation file management utility.

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy@nosc.mil
INET: jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com
America Online: JOEA17, First Word
Direct: Pro-Houston, (713) 526-9607, 3-2400 bps

rich@pro-exchange.cts.COM (Rich Sims) (11/26/89)

> This doesn't automate the process, but very few programs support ProDOS and
> DOS 3.3

Try LastCat by Jerry Hewitt.  Reads DOS 3.3, Pascal, and CP/M disks, and any
ProDOS volume.  Writes the output file to a ProDOS file, and in your choice of
TXT (plain text), ADB (AppleWorks Database), and DIF formats.

It is menu driven, fully automated, uses a lightning fast read routine,
handles sub-directory recursion to an unlimited depth, and allows you to set
up some of your own data fields for identifying entries.

Cost is $39.95 in the 1989 Living Legends Software catalog... I'd suggest
calling for information on current pricing and also if you need a version that
recognizes DOS 3.2 (huh??).

   Living Legends Software
   PO Box 4313
   La Mesa, CA  92044
   (714) 676-1940

Disclaimer: not applicable -- believe what you want to believe!

-Rich Sims-

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!rich
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!rich@nosc.mil
INET: rich@pro-exchange.cts.com

jeffj@pro-avalon.cts.COM (Jeff Jungblut) (11/27/89)

File Librarian on the TimeOut PowerPack disk will let you read a disk at a
time (ProDOS only,) all subdirectories included.  All files are stored as
records in the database, including categories for prefix, filename, date/time
created, date/time modified, type, blocks, locked, backup, and an optional
notes category you fill in.  It doesn't work with DOS 3.3 disks.

FatCat is DOS 3.3 based and will read ProDOS and DOS 3.3 disks.  I haven't
needed to use this one much, and don't remember what or how it stores file
information.  It's available for download from Pro-Beagle at 619/558-6151,
300/1200/2400 bps, login as "dl".

Jeff Jungblut
Beagle Bros
jeffj@pro-avalon.cts.com (preferred) | jeffj@pro-beagle.cts.com
crash!pro-avalon!jeffj               | crash!pro-beagle!jeffj

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.COM (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (11/27/89)

nibble (Mindcraft) sells Disk Librarian ($29.95) #d06 which reads 3.3, prodos,
and pascal catalogs into a AW DB file format. You can then load the data into
AW and print out labels, lists, cross refernces, whatever.

In addition, organize all of the files of the same type onto a few disks and
delete redundant, superceded or obsolete files. I was able to recycle 30% of
my disks by doing this and it is also easier to find what I'm looking for.

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.COM (Larry Virden) (11/29/89)

Whoops - I forgot to mention (and apparently it is so foreign an idea that
only a few others thought of it) that I dont own AppleWorks in any form.  I do
have a moldy version of Applewriter buried around here somewhere... but I
was hoping to find a self contained pgm which was designed to read the various
file types.  I have one or two prospects right now - when I find out I will
let others know.