[comp.sys.apple] Old Beagle Products

tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (11/24/89)

I do not believe that it is officially OK to upload Beagle Programs anywhere.
This belief is based on a letter I saw in Letters to the Editor (inCider A+
Nov. 1989, pg 10) from Mark Simonsen, President
                       Beagle Bros, Inc.
                       6215 Ferris Square
                       Suite 100
                       San Diego, CA 92121
It ends as follows:
.............. "Finally, Beagle always has been--and will continue to
be--against piracy. Please don't misunderstand this action as an approval to
put any Beagle product on a bulletin board for others to steal."
        This seems to me to mean NO NO NO do not post or upload their stuff!!
I recomend anyone who wants to read the entire letter, refer to the issue of
inCider that I have referenced.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!tomk
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!tomk@nosc.mil

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (11/25/89)

From article <6959.apple.net@pro-grouch>, by tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com (Tom
Kelly):

> I do not believe that it is officially OK to upload Beagle Programs anywhere.
> This belief is based on a letter I saw in Letters to the Editor (inCider A+
> Nov. 1989, pg 10) from Mark Simonsen, President
>                        Beagle Bros, Inc.
>                        6215 Ferris Square
>                        Suite 100
>                        San Diego, CA 92121
> It ends as follows:
> .............. "Finally, Beagle always has been--and will continue to
> be--against piracy. Please don't misunderstand this action as an approval to
> put any Beagle product on a bulletin board for others to steal."
>         This seems to me to mean NO NO NO do not post or upload their stuff!!
> I recomend anyone who wants to read the entire letter, refer to the issue of
> inCider that I have referenced.
>
> UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!tomk
> ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!tomk@nosc.mil

This is odd because I just received in the mail Beagle Bros. Fall/Winter
1989 catalog and I QUOTE FROM PAGE 22:

FREE SOFTWARE
	If you have received a Beagle Bros catalog in the past, you
might be wondering what happened to all the old Beagle Bros utility
programs, like DOS Boss and Silicon Salad.  They are not in this
catalog, but they are all still alive and well on Pro-Beagle -- the
Beagle Bros bulletin board.  All you need is a modem and a
communications program (see pages 14 and 19 for some great ones) and you
can have them for free!  There are some real classics in this
collection:
	Alpha Plot	Flex Type
	Beagle Bag	Font Mechanic
	Beagle Basic	Frame-Up
	DOS Boss	Pro-Byter
	Big U		Pronto DOS
	D Code		Shape Mechanic
	Double Take	Silicon Salad
	Extra K		Tip Disk #1
	Fat Cat		Utility City

A few of these programs are not on Pro-Beagle yet.  As the last copies
in stock are sold, we are making them available for the asking.  If you
must have one of these titles right now, and it's not on Pro-Beagle,
you could always buy it!  They are selling at 50% off.

Like we said, these programs are free.  You are welcome to use them as
much as you want -- even share them with your friends.  But please don't
give away any programs other than those listed here.

Perhaps this last paragraph will clarify the position of the Beagle !!

chines@pro-europa.cts.COM (Clifford Hines) (11/26/89)

Well I have a friend who is my Beagle Buddy in Houston, who if I asked *real*
nice would get on pro-beagle and download that program for me. That is *one*
way around the problem.
Cliff

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!chines
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!chines@nosc.mil
INET: chines@pro-europa.cts.com

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/26/89)

     What would be best if there was a "you can do that, not that, this, but
not that" statement.  That last paragraph says Freeware all over it!  "Give it
to friends" (those specific progs.)  Unless there is another public statement
of Beagle's policy on this point, I would think posting it to a board is the
same as giving it to friends.
     My impression of the comp.sys.apple/info-apple/comp.binaries.apple2 setup
is that it's a group made for people who enjoy the Apple II line, and who are
there to help each other.  Why would a person upload a program to c.bin.a2 for
his/her enemies?  :-)
     I'm not in any way suggesting Beagle is at fault here, all I'm saying is
that the statement in the catalog clearly does not say that you can't upload
to other boards, while people on the net insist that you can't.  As someone
suggested, if Beagle were to post these progs to another slightly more
accessible board, it would be great.  They couldn't get any flack from virus
infected people or other complaints, and people would have a chance at not
calling CA from IL for some ungodly amount.  C.bin.a2 is a tad cheaper,
considering a lot of people use the net fairly free.
     I personally have no immediate need for the products, and I'm in no
way sure of the demand outside of my own.  But I feel if Beagle really wants
to help the AII community, I would think distributing it a little more widely
would bring more people to these free products, and thereafter to their new
commercial products.  They don't get money for people calling Pro-Beagle LD,
so what's the difference between their moderated board, and a board that they
can upload the programs to, and have the same moderation over those specific
uploads?  None, IMHO: other boards would be in this case the same as mail-
order houses in the commercial case.  Mail order houses seem to be rather
legal.  ;-)

InterNet.......krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu      |     Ken Brownfield............
....or.........krb1517@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu       |     1010 South Second, Rm 202.
...PLATO.......ken brownfield/unialum/cerl    |     Champaign, IL, 61820......
.....or........brownfield/dialup/cerl         |     (217) 384-6964............
=---------------------------------------------+------------------------------=
     The University of Illinois gave me this signon, so I doubt I need a
.               disclaimer.  At least until finals week!  {=                 .

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (11/27/89)

It seems quite clear after reading the comments on this net that what Beagle
Bros. _should_ do is formally discontinue all the old programs, destroy the
asters, and hire a law firm specifically to sue anyone who gives a copy of
the discontinued software to anyone else.  Moreover, since software is not
sold but rather "licensed", they should void all licenses and demand that
all copies of their old software be destroyed and never again used.  Then,
after three weeks of there being nothing on this net but screams about that,
they could make the offer they are currently making.  There wouldn't be a
single complaint.  Sheeesssshhh!

daehl@madnix.UUCP (Donald Aehl) (11/28/89)

In article <800@jc3b21.UUCP> david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) writes:
>From article <6959.apple.net@pro-grouch>, by tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com (Tom
>Kelly):
>>
>> I do not believe that it is officially OK to upload Beagle Programs anywhere.
>> This belief is based on a letter I saw in Letters to the Editor (inCider A+
>> Nov. 1989, pg 10) from Mark Simonsen, President
>>                        Beagle Bros, Inc.
>>                        6215 Ferris Square
>>                        Suite 100
>>                        San Diego, CA 92121
>> It ends as follows:
>> .............. "Finally, Beagle always has been--and will continue to
>> be--against piracy. Please don't misunderstand this action as an approval to
>> put any Beagle product on a bulletin board for others to steal."
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The key word here is "any Beagle product".  By this, I believe, Mark Simonsen
meant to say "just any".  By this he is referring to Beagle software which is
not yet on the Pro-Beagle Bulletin board.  All software on the Pro-Beagle
board is clearly stated to be freely distributable.  There is absolutely no
indication whatsoever that Beagle Bros (aka Mark Simonsen) would not approve
of it being uploaded to Comp.binaries.apple2

Now the question of viruses seems to have been raised. I think it is being
blown out of proportion, nevertheless, it would be quite an easy task to
have a single person upload the programs to Apple-2L, check them for viruses
and distribute them.

Now all that remains is for someone in the California area to take some time
to do the task.

(to avoid long distance charges, of course.)

>Like we said, these programs are free.  You are welcome to use them as
>much as you want -- even share them with your friends.  But please don't
>give away any programs other than those listed here.

Exactly!!!

jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.COM (Jerry E. Kindall) (11/30/89)

It's really amusing to watch some people on this net try to justify posting
the free Beagle programs to Apple2-L.  Donald Aehl's latest message says that
in Mark Simonsen's letter in inCider, Mr. Simonsen REALLY meant to say that
you shouldn't upload JUST ANY Beagle programs to other BBS's.  Hmmm, well, I
read that letter, and it does NOT say "JUST ANY" -- it says that you should
not upload ANY Beagle programs to other BBSs.  He said what he said.  Don't
put words in his mouth.  (If you ran into Mr. Simonsen, or one of the people
from inCider, and they told you that there was a misprint, I apologize.)

Sort of reminds me of the recent Apple Direct survey in which Apple says that
many Apple II developers "may fall into" the "Both Apple II and Mac
development" category, even though they didn't respond that way.
   _____
  ||___||  Jerry Kindall               |  Internet: jerryk@pro-tcc.cts.com
  |  o  |  2612 Queensway Drive        |  UUCP:     nosc!crash!pro-tcc!jerryk
  |__O__|  Grove City, OH  43123-3347  |  GEnie: A2.JERRY     ALine: A2 Jerry