[comp.sys.apple] Apple // spinoff

rkopp@pro-hysteria.UUCP (Robert Kopp) (11/11/89)

If Apple were to spin off the // line, imagine the possibilitys.  I think
there's still a whole market out there that would be interested in buying
//c+'s for say $4-500.  THat would create a lot more interest in software
support.  Look at the Commodore 64, it continues to enjoy software support
even though it is long past it's prime.  I believe the Apple // line is much
like a VW Beetle.  Antiquated, slow, not much power, readily available, could
be inexpensive, and about as much as a person really needs in a home computer.
The Apple //GS is like a superbeetle.  Lots of new, nifty features, but still
an Apple //.

UUCP: {bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!pro-hysteria!rkopp
ARPA: {bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!pro-hysteria!rkopp@nosc.mil
INET: rkopp@pro-hysteria.cts.com

ST802148@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Evan) (11/13/89)

My feeling is that Apple is screwing itself by keeping the price of the //gs so
 high. If they want the //gs to replace all of the //e's in schools and homes,
why don't they wise up? They all know Macs have found a home in buisnesses wher
e the money can be spend. So if the average home wants a computer, why would th
ey spend $2000+ on a system? I know that the gs provides superior sound and gra
phics. But the consumer doesn't need so much. The //e was a perfect machine. On
ly one bad series (the A version), but otherwise flawless in it's price, availa
bility, and ability to expand.

danr@pro-tcc.cts.com (Dan Roberts) (11/13/89)

But I think the last time I checked //c+ was selling for about $500.00.
Granted I live in an odd market but I think that is the going price.

Dan

Daniel Roberts            Proline: danr@pro-tcc
50 East Mound Street      CI$:     71271,1437
Columbus OH 43215         INET:    danr@pro-tcc.cts.com
                          UUCP:    crash!pnet01!pro-tcc!danr

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (11/13/89)

In article <2442.feeds.info-apple@pro-tcc> danr@pro-tcc.cts.com (Dan Roberts) writes:

>But I think the last time I checked //c+ was selling for about $500.00.
>Granted I live in an odd market but I think that is the going price.

Yes, CDA Computer Sales (800/526-5313) in NJ has the //c+ for 500.00.
You can get a monochrome monitor for $135 or RGB for $465.  I've also
seen Apple 3.5 drives for about $240 from Sun Remarketing -- I guess the
drives are out of date because Macs have moved up to FDHD drives.  I
don't know much about Sun -- if the equipment they sell is used or just
outdated but otherwise new.

Howard C. Huang
huang@husc4.harvard.edu
huang@husc4.BITNET
huang@husc4.UUCP

danr@pro-tcc.cts.com (Dan Roberts) (11/14/89)

I double checked the price of the basic Apple //c+ last night. It is $495.00
up from $449.00.

dale@pro-colony.cts.COM (System Operator) (11/28/89)

> I double checked the price of the basic Apple //c+ last night. It is $495.00
> up from $449.00.
>
> Dan

When was it ever $449.00?  I thought when it first came out that the list
price was $695.00.

Dale

              proline: dale@pro-colony
              uucp   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale
              inet   : crash!dale@pro-colony.cts.com
              arpa   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale@nosc.mil
                  >>>   pro-colony  214/370-7056  24 hours   <<<

danr@pro-tcc.cts.com (Dan Roberts) (11/30/89)

RE: Our Discussion of Apple //c+ prices.

I was quoting street prices from a regular local Apple Dealer. The list prices
are I'm sure higher.