[comp.sys.apple] Overseas Apple Dealers

TE880714%STUDTEW.UFSIA.AC.BE@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Stef Bracke) (11/17/89)

Sorry, I'm nagging around here, but I feel Apple (Europe?) has abandoned us|
For example: I need an extra megabyte to make programming the GS more
             comfortable. The obvious solution is to sell my Apple 1 Meg card
             (which served me very well) and my RamPak 4GS with 512kb (which
             I got from an Apple shop to keep my mouth shut after a bad deal)
             and buy an AE GSRam + 2 Meg.
             I took the Apple Belgium price-list and WOOOOooowww||||
             -> 1 GSram Plus with 2 Megabytes          = 75.000,- or $1875
             Correct me when I am wrong, but doesn't that sell for about $500
             in the USA? The same thing goes for PC-Transporter, Ramworks...
Happily enough, I know now somebody who functions as A REAL Apple Dealer
(while he still has a job as a teacher:Busy busy...) I advice all my friends
(or half of the Flemish Apple owners) to buy their stuff there. The man
is willing to trade in my Applecard and the OrangeCard for the AE GSramPlus
with 2 Meg, but I have to add 20.000,- (or $500) not a bad deal, knowing
that those two cards were free. I already bought myself a Sonic Blaster
(only 125% of the American Price). I think a new future is in sight|
To Lachs and the Argentinian (name?): The best solution is maybe,
to start a new Apple Dealer shop. No fancy shop, but a room in a house,
with an Apple //. Users, like us, could then offer other users (like us)
cheaper service (but still make profit if that's your aim (not mine|))
If something is wrong, send it to CDA or any other Better Apple Shop in
America. If AE has a new (always) powerfull product, order it in greater
quantities and try to get a discount. It begins to work here|
Apple America is fine, but DEAD to all the overseas Official Apple Dealers
Apple Europe is Dead, Long live Apple in Europe           |_ Mac Dealers

                                 Greeting, Stef
                                         Belgium

In article <8911171230.AA23760@apple.com> TE880714%STUDTEW.UFSIA.AC.BE@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Stef Bracke) writes:
>Sorry, I'm nagging around here, but I feel Apple (Europe?) has abandoned us|
>For example: I need an extra megabyte to make programming the GS more
>             comfortable. The obvious solution is to sell my Apple 1 Meg card
>             (which served me very well) and my RamPak 4GS with 512kb (which
>             I got from an Apple shop to keep my mouth shut after a bad deal)
>             and buy an AE GSRam + 2 Meg.
>             I took the Apple Belgium price-list and WOOOOooowww||||
>             -> 1 GSram Plus with 2 Megabytes          = 75.000,- or $1875
>             Correct me when I am wrong, but doesn't that sell for about $500
>             in the USA? The same thing goes for PC-Transporter, Ramworks...
[Lots more like this deleted in here]
>Apple America is fine, but DEAD to all the overseas Official Apple Dealers
>Apple Europe is Dead, Long live Apple in Europe           |_ Mac Dealers
>
>                                 Greeting, Stef
>                                         Belgium

Sometimes I get in trouble for defending Apple where some people consider Apple
indefensible, but *all* of the products that I saw listed in your letter were
third-party products.  Apple Computer doesn't manufacture any of them.

You can blame Apple Dealers (which are independent businesses) for their high
prices on products imported from the USA, but you can't blame Apple or Apple
Europe that people sell non-Apple products for high prices.  Apple has no
control or influence over such things.

You say you bought an assembler?  If you are developing applications and need
support, I suggest you contact Ivo van Ursel at Apple Belgium; he's been around
the IIgs a few times (not as in "he's been near one", but as in "he's been
around the block with it" :) and should be able to help you out.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."

MAR21AA@TECHNION.BITNET (Uri Srebro) (11/23/89)

     Opening an Apple dealer in Israel is not simple, since Yeda bought some ki
nd of monopole from Apple in Israel and all Apple dealers (there are quite a fe
w) have to order through her. :-(

                    Nathan Srebro
                    Haifa, Israel

MAR21AA at Technion.BITNET

TE880714%STUDTEW.UFSIA.AC.BE@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Stef Bracke) (12/01/89)

I'M sorry Matt, but I also talk about Apple-made products, like
SCSI-Cards (I'm trying like hell to get backup of my harddisk but the
program included from Apple doesn't seem to work. Asking about it here is
like asking for a tax-program for a medium-size nuclear plant with a brewery
as daughter-company: Rare, expensive and commented with a "Program-it-
yourself"-advice), Harddisks, memory chips, cables, repairs (one might as
well buy the piece again.), service, etc...
As a matter of fact, Apple Belgium has a list with Apple and AE-produtcs
for unreasonable high prices. Okay, official Apple dealers sell all their
products at very high prices (they are independent) but one wouldn't expect
that from Apple Belgium itself... Maybe because Apple hasn't got any control
over Apple Belgium.
Short Story: A friend of mine (65+) has got a weird problem with his GS.
It attracts moist, even in a fairly dry room. He demanded that his Apple
dealer would come along and check his brand-new Apple. Alas the dealer didn't
want to come, unless he was paid his travelcosts. My friend wrote a letter
Apple USA. They replied with a letter, urging the dealer to visit and repair
the GS without adding any supplementary costs. The dealer didn't respond in
any way.
------------------ Cut here to leave out the negative comments ----------------
I am very glad that you replied my message, Like you said, I didn't think
someone from Apple would pay any interest to me, especially not to defend
Apple (Belgium).
About the program I am working on: It's a program that checks viruses, asks
for an access-code and keeps a logfile. The program will cut down access
to some devices like harddisks and partitions of harddisk, according to the
accesslevel. The GUARD-DOG project, like I called it, will be entirely
written in assembly and I hope that I can make it Gofast and Small (GS|)
Any interest?  (And please, don't run with my idea. I like to work on it,
really|||

                                    Stef