[comp.sys.apple] Tom Weishaar

davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu (11/14/89)

     I have written to Tom Weishaar at A2 Central inquiring about a software
package he wrote for Beagle Bros., Pronto-DOS.  The letter went out about four     t
four and a half weeks ago and I have yet to receive a reply - I heard rumors
that he did answer mail routinely, perhaps such rumors were just that, rumors.
Is there anybody who would be willing to forward another inquiry (I definitely
need the information before I buy Pronto-DOS) either personally or by e-mail?
Please send mail to me if interested, thank you.

                                                   David R. Brierley
                                 davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu

davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu (11/16/89)

     I have read comments on info-apple that Tom Weishaar routinely answers
mail addressed to him at A2 Central.  I wrote to him about five weeks ago
inquiring about the possibility of obtaining some type of licensing
agreement to use Pronto-DOS in a shareware package I'm writing.  (He wrote
Pronto-DOS for Beagle Bros.)  I had already sent a letter to Beagle and
they wrote back, stating that licensing policies lie with the author and
that I should write to him.  Is there anyone who can convey a message to
him either personally or through e-mail?  I would like to get a response
from him before I buy the package.  If anyone is interested please send
e-mail to me, thank you.

daehl@madnix.UUCP (Donald Aehl) (11/19/89)

In article <memo.197605@lynx.northeastern.edu> davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu writes:

>     I have written to Tom Weishaar at A2 Central inquiring about a software
>four and a half weeks ago and I have yet to receive a reply - I heard rumors
>that he did answer mail routinely, perhaps such rumors were just that, rumors.
>Is there anybody who would be willing to forward another inquiry (I definitely
>need the information before I buy Pronto-DOS) either personally or by e-mail?
>Please send mail to me if interested, thank you.
>
>                                                   David R. Brierley
>                                 davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu

Pronto-DOS is no longer for sale by Beagle Bros.  It is now *FREE* along
with a lot of their older software (Alpha Plot, DOS Boss, Double Take,
Fat Cat, and many more...)  All you have to do is call the Pro-Beagle line
and download them.  The number is (619) 558-6151.

The real question that we should get answered is can we download them and
then upload them to Comp.binaries.apple2 or other electronic services?
From the information given in the Beagle Bros Fall/Winter 1989 catalog it
sounds like we can.  I quote:

"Like we said, these programs are free.  You are welcome to use them as much
as you want -- even share them with your friends.  But please don't give
away any programs other than those listed here."

Alpha Plot, Beagle Bag, Beagle Basic, DOS Boss, Big U, D Code, Double Take,
Extra K, Fat Cat, Flex Type, Font Mechanic, Frame-Up, Pro-Byter, Pronto DOS,
Shape Mechanic, Silicon Salad, Tip Disk #1, and Utility City.

So it seems to me that some of us in the (619) area code region should get
busy and start uploading these to Comp.binaries.Apple2

Any comments?

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (11/21/89)

{
>I quote:
>
>"Like we said, these programs are free.  You are welcome to use them as much
>as you want -- even share them with your friends.  But please don't give
>away any programs other than those listed here."
>
>Alpha Plot, Beagle Bag, Beagle Basic, DOS Boss, Big U, D Code, Double Take,
>Extra K, Fat Cat, Flex Type, Font Mechanic, Frame-Up, Pro-Byter, Pronto DOS,
>Shape Mechanic, Silicon Salad, Tip Disk #1, and Utility City.
>
> So it seems to me that some of us in the (619) area code region should get
> busy and start uploading these to Comp.binaries.Apple2
>
>Any comments?

Here's a slightly enhanced version of that quote.. this is what you
get when you go to download the Beagle Oldies..

SPECIFICALLY, NOTE ITEM #2

The programs in this section of the download area are made available under the
following agreement.  By downloading one or more of these programs you are
agreeing to abide by every point in this agreement.

o  Only the Beagle products on this bulletin board (ProBeagle) are
   available at no charge.

o  Please do NOT upload any of these programs (or any other Beagle products)
   to any other information service.

o  Please DO give copies of the programs on this bulletin board (ProBeagle) to
   your friends.  Do NOT give away any Beagle product that is not found here
on
   ProBeagle.

o  Note that by putting these products on our bulletin board we are NOT
   placing them in the public domain.  Beagle Bros will retain ownership to
   all products, trademarks, copyrights, etc.

o  Note also that since these products are available at no charge to you, we
   will no longer offer mail or phone (voice) tech support on these products.

o  Beagle always has been and always will be against piracy.  Please don't
   misunderstand this gesture of goodwill and think that it's O.K. to put any
   Beagle product on a bulletin board for others to steal.
{

Mark Munz
Beagle Bros

archer@hsi.UUCP (Garry Archer) (11/22/89)

In article <13270.chatter.infoapple@pro-beagle>, mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) writes:

> >Alpha Plot, Beagle Bag, Beagle Basic, DOS Boss, Big U, D Code, Double Take,
> >Extra K, Fat Cat, Flex Type, Font Mechanic, Frame-Up, Pro-Byter, Pronto DOS,
> >Shape Mechanic, Silicon Salad, Tip Disk #1, and Utility City.
>
> Mark Munz
> Beagle Bros

I've only just started reading this discussion, so please excuse me if this
has been asked before:

From what I gather, these producst are only available free if you download
them from Beagle Bros. with one's modem (I've seen all the conditions
and legalities etc.).

For those of us without modems, is it possible to obtain these products from
Beagle Bros. through the mail... assuming the customer would be willing to
pay shipping and handling costs?  If not, is it because it is too costly
in terms of manpower and materials?  Just curious.

--
Garry Archer Esq.	{noao, yale, uunet}!hsi!archer  -OR-  archer@hsi.com
Health Systems International,		New Haven, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/22/89)

     My only question is this: why is there a difference between people down-
kinda like saying mail-order houses let you steal stuff from the company
because you're not getting the product straight from the company.  IMHO,
I think the info given could be a bit less contradictory and a bit clearer.
Would it be acceptable to Beagle if people mailed thier products over a board,
e.g. InterNet, to _specific_ people?
     Anyway, it's great to have Beagle giving away the old classics.  I
think more companies should be doing this.  I also thank Beagle for their
continuing lack of copy protection.

							Ken.
						   ken-b@uiuc.edu

ctuel@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Cliff Tuel) (11/23/89)

krb20699@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu said...
|     My only question is this: why is there a difference between people down-

	Ever hear of viruses?  If someone downloads a Beagle Bros
	program from some bulletin board and finds a virus, he's
	probably going to get very angry at the Beagle People.

|Would it be acceptable to Beagle if people mailed thier products over a board,
|e.g. InterNet, to _specific_ people?

	I had an even better idea which I sent to Jeff (jeffj) at
	pro-beagle.  Why not have one of the Beagle Bros employees
	upload the programs to comp.binaries.apple2?  I don't see
	any drawbacks to this approach.

|     Anyway, it's great to have Beagle giving away the old classics.  I
|think more companies should be doing this.  I also thank Beagle for their
|continuing lack of copy protection.

	I second that.   2:-)

~~
 ____   _      _____   _____   _____            _____   _   _   _____   _
|  __] | |    [_   _] | ____] | ____]          [_   _] | | | | | ____] | |
| |__  | |__   _] [_  | __]   | __]  ctuel@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU | __]_  | |__
|____] |____] [_____] |_|     |_|                |_|   |_____| |_____] |____]

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (11/23/89)

regarding why Beagle doesn't want things downloaded from any other
place than pro-beagle,

I can see two reasons off-hand: one, they do not want to have any
corrupted packages floating around, such as a Silicon Salad with only
half the original programs and some stuff that didn't belong. They
also want the credits to remain in the software, while many people
would remove them for space reasons or other.

The other is that it is still their material, and in light of the
Glory Days of Apple Computing when Beagle was it and hacking was fun.
Beagle wants to be recognized for what they did, and for how amazing
their products were. This disappears after it has floated around the
PD for a while. Besides, they want you to recognize Beagle for what it
was and is and buy some of their newer products.

Beagle has NEVER copyrighted their material. They have always been the
most enthusiastic company in existence for ANY computer system. As far
as I'm concerned, they can do what they wish. More power to them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                  |   Support     | Disclaimer:            |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |     Free      |  The above represent my|
|r746jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |      Software |  opinions, alone.      |
|a student at Carnegie Mellon U.  |               |  Void where prohibited.|

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (11/25/89)

>Beagle has NEVER copyrighted their material. They have always been the
>most enthusiastic company in existence for ANY computer system. As far
>as I'm concerned, they can do what they wish. More power to them.

Ooops.. I think that's a slip of the fingers.. Beagle has copyrighted
their material. It has never copy-protected it.

Mark Munz
Beagle Bros

jb3o+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Jon Allen Boone) (11/25/89)

Mark Munz <mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com> writes:
> Oh come on folks.. Beagle decides to give its oldies away to its customers and
> you guys are complaining about not being able to upload it anywhere.
>
> You sound as if Beagle made that decision at the last possible minute. Beagle
> has its reasons, that fact is you (or even I) don't need to know them.
>
> I think folks should just be glad they can get some of the great products
> at an incredibly low price (the price of a LD phone call).
>
> Mark Munz

well, I think that the price of a LD phone call is not necessarily
cheap.  I know, I pay my phone bill...  I think that you're missing
the point as well.  It seems very unclear as to what Beagle's
intentions are.  Beagle has and always will be against piracy.  Fine,
but I have never and never will be against piracy.  The fact that they
are giving it away also says to me that it would't be piracy to upload
it to your favorite bbs or even comp.bin.apple2 (or whatever the name
of the board is).  If you can give it to your friends, why not
uploading it too?  So you happen to have a lot of friends on the net?
Big Deal!  Also, someone informed me that a request such as they have
made in the agreement does not keep you from uploading them.  After
all, it was exactly that - a request.  I can't vouch for the validity
of that opinion, but it certainly seems that since they are giving
them away, you can't be breaking the law by uploading them.  After
all, it didn't say you COULDN'T.....it just asked you NOT to...

I would think that perhaps Beagle would a) hate to see their stuff
infected by a virus and get blamed for it and/or b) don't want it to
seem that they support piracy by their software being on the same
bboards as say the latest cracked version of <insert your favorite
game here>.

Anyway, the BEST solution seems to be for someone at Beagle to upload
the stuff and then the entire discussion will become pretty pointless.
I mean, after all, the pirates have probably already uploaded it
anyway - if they even plan to do so at all.  They certainly aren't
gonna wait for Beagle to OK it.  That means that only the people on
the net who are actually concerned with not breaking the law (and
therefore are in all likelyhood NOT hackers or pirates or phreaks) are
the ones who are gonna lose.  Another case of the only ones getting
screwed are the "law abiding citizens".

I'm not a member of the NRA, but you have to admit that "If you outlaw
handguns, the only people with handguns will be outlaws!"  (Do NOT
make the mistake of interperating this as meaning they will give up
their guns...it just means that they will have become CRIMINALS...what
a great way to FIGHT CRIME...make more criminals!!!)

 ___________________________ ______________________________________________
|                           |                                              |
|     iain the flippant     |   You'll PAY To Know What You REALLY Think   |
|                           |      Your MIND Left Intentionally Blank      |
|---------------------------|             Act Like A DumbShit,             |
|                           |       And They'll Treat You As An Equal      |
| Send $1 to:               |       If I Can't Whup It, I'll Go DOWN       |
| Rev. Worstishier Sawce    |      Fuck 'Em If They Can't Take A Joke      |
| 5115 Margarter Morrison   |       Pull The Wool Over Your Own Eyes       |
| Pittsburgh, PA 15213      |SCIENCE DOES NOT REMOVE THE TERROR OF THE GODS|
|___________________________|______________________________________________|

jb3o+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Jon Allen Boone) (11/25/89)

Exactly what about it is supposed to be illegal?

Do you mean the send $1?

WHY in "BOB'S" name would that be illegal?  Go on - give me ONE GOOD
REASON.  Better yet, GIVE ME ONE BAD REASON!  JUST GIVE ME ANY REASON?
Explain to me why it would be illegal for me to tell people to send me
$1?  Is the price too low?  Let me guess, you're not allowed to e-mail
US currency, right?  Or are you talking about mailing $1 in the US
snail?  You can always send it in a nice little card wishing me a
happy birthday or something!  Or send a check or money order!  None of
that is illegal.  Of course, e-mailing all this MAY WELL be illegal.
However, it is not a chain-letter - it's a signature!  What if I
changed it to send APPLE $1?  Would it still be illegal?  Would you
still think it was illegal?  Would you even care?  Do you care now?
WHY?  I mean, I didn't PROMISE them anything, so it isn' FRAUD!  Would
you prefer

"You can obtain slack by sending $1 to:
  Rev. Worchestishire Sawce
  5115 Margaret Morrison Avenue
  Pittsburgh, PA 15213
"

Now, that sounds like a promise - and it also sounds a bit like
(e)mail fraud.  That's I don't promise you anything.  So go ahead,
send me $1.  See what happens.  It won't kill you.  In a worse case
scenario, you'll be $1 poorer!  And I'll be $1 richer.  GOD forbid if
it should ever be ILLEGAL to MAKE MONEY in America!

(Of course, it is illegal to make money the Old-Fashioned Way -
PRINTING IT!!!!)

 ___________________________ ______________________________________________
|                           |                                              |
|     iain the flippant     |   You'll PAY To Know What You REALLY Think   |
|                           |      Your MIND Left Intentionally Blank      |
|---------------------------|             Act Like A DumbShit,             |
|                           |       And They'll Treat You As An Equal      |
| Send $1 to:               |       If I Can't Whup It, I'll Go DOWN       |
| Rev. Worstishier Sawce    |      Fuck 'Em If They Can't Take A Joke      |
| 5115 Margarter Morrison   |       Pull The Wool Over Your Own Eyes       |
| Pittsburgh, PA 15213      |SCIENCE DOES NOT REMOVE THE TERROR OF THE GODS|
|___________________________|______________________________________________|

jamesio@pro-houston.cts.com (James Faircloth) (11/26/89)

Illegal.  I should have explained myself.

It is illegal to post or have your posting go across state lines with abusive
language (any type of profanity).  That is what I am talking about.

UUCP     : crash!pro-houston!jamesio          | US Mail :
ARPA     : crash!pro-houston!jamesio@nosc.mil |
INET     : jamesio@pro-houston.cts.com        | James Faircloth
ProLine  : pro-houston!jamesio                | 22715 Imperial Valley, #2213
WWIVNet  : #19 @ 7352                         | Houston, TX  77073
ALink PE : JamesIO                            | Home: 713/821-2010

paulj@pro-generic.cts.COM (Paul Johnson) (11/27/89)

        Did it cross your mind that he could have been refferring to the
swearing so blatantly used in your signature.  It's not illegal, but uncalled
for, and irrelivant to the subject of this network.  Also, he may have been
reffering to possibly misleading someone to sending money to a Rev.  It is 1)
Impersonating another individual, and 2) False advertising.  It is definitely
illegal to advertise on the network.  I would like to add my thirty-two
dollars worth into your points of supporting piracy.  It seems that you have
convinced yourself that "If other people do it, I can do it too", that is your
choice and not anyone else's.  I feel it is okay to voice your opinions, but
don't start telling others what they should think.  If it hasn't crossed your
mind, every message `posted' into infoapple is literally networked world-wide,
and people read this large feed, not to hear complaints about why other people
don't support piracy, but would like to be informed on the latest in the apple
world.  Also, people here want to recieve help, not criticism on certain
aspects of `appling'.  I feel, that if you have a personal difference, whose
topic is not fitting into this conference, that you may consider into sending
your replies privately.

                                        :: Paul Johnson ::
   UUCP: crash!pro-generic!paulj                Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
   ARPA: crash!pro-generic!paulj@nosc.mil   A
   INET: paulj@pro-generic.cts.co

jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) (12/01/89)

> Exactly what is illegal about it?

This rambling about your dollar is ridiculous. What's illegal is your use of
profanity on a publicly funded communications network.

You ninny. Lose the brainless 20-line signature, lest the wrath of Bob visit
you.

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy@nosc.mil
INET: jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com
America Online: JOEA17, First Word
Direct: Pro-Houston, (713) 526-9607, 3-2400 bps