[comp.sys.apple] Serial communication

In article <145.infoapple.net@pro-generic> sysop@pro-generic.cts.COM (Matthew Montano) writes:

>  Apple's TN regarding serial communications is interesting, they are implying
>that making sequential calls reading and writing individual characters to the
>modem device at any speed above 2400bps is going to give problems. I can't
>remember exactly, but it was mentioned that using string based calls, reading
>chunks at a time, that 9600bps communications were possible.
>
>Hmm..

Don't be putting words in my mouth.  I know what I said, even if I'm not
looking at it (at least, I know what it's supposed to say).

Apple II Misc. TN #14 does not say doing single-character I/O through the
firmware is not possible at speeds greater than 2400 bps.  It does say that
single character I/O through *GS/OS Generated Firmware Drivers* (and every
word of that phrase is key) is not practical.

Big difference.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."