[comp.sys.apple] Fuss about "Test Drive"

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (Mike Jetzer) (11/20/89)

I've been reading all this fuss about Apple's Test Drive program (or
whatever they're calling it this time around), and I thought I'd
let you know about a radio commercial here in Milwaukee, which goes
something like:

Have you thought about the increased productivity an Apple Computer can
mean for your business?  For a limited time, you can try an Apple Computer
free of charge.  Choose between the Apple IIGS, with its graphic and
sound capabilities, or choose one of the Macintosh family of computers
[stuff about the Macs]...

These are not the exact words, so don't go trying to read anything into
them.  The important things that I wanted to point out was that this was
a business store, aimed at businesses, and the Apple IIGS was mentioned
first, before the Macs.  The word 'powerful' was used in conjunction
with some of the Macs, but when you're talking about the IIci, the
word fits.

Just thought I'd throw this into the "Apple is abandoning the II"
discussion.

--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

dale@pro-colony.cts.com (System Operator) (11/23/89)

There have also been television ads in the Dallas/Fort Worth area listing both
the Macintosh AND IIGS computers.

Dale

              proline: dale@pro-colony
              uucp   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale
              inet   : crash!dale@pro-colony.cts.com
              arpa   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale@nosc.mil

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (11/25/89)

>There have also been television ads in the Dallas/Fort Worth area
>listing both the Macintosh AND IIGS computers.

Speaking of TV ads.. twice yesterday, in the most recent Apple Ad, I
saw a little girl talking about liking her teacher (because she got
to use the Mac in the class?).

Where is the Apple II in this story?? Considering that the Apple II
is the true Education Machine. Even Macs can't get the Quantity of
educational programs out there that already exists for the Apple II.

Mark Munz

chines@pro-europa.cts.COM (Clifford Hines) (11/26/89)

I saw four Apple ads yesterday while I was watching the two NFL games. All
were for the Macintosh. The one that surprised me the school ad with the Mac
as the computer with the scanner instead of the Apple IIgs. I thought that was
a*little* strange.  Just trying to figure out Apple Computer can give me or
you a headache.
Cliff

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!chines
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!chines@nosc.mil
INET: chines@pro-europa.cts.com

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.COM (Lawrence Haider) (11/28/89)

>Where is the Apple II in this story?? Considering that the Apple II
>is the true Education Machine. Even Macs can't get the Quantity of
>educational programs out there that already exists for the Apple II.

I'd still have to disagree that the Apple II is "the true Education Machine".
The Mac is better suited for children to use.  Granted, there isn't as much
software for education on the Mac; but what there is of Mac software can
outperform what is "currently" available for the Apple II series.  I'm not
saying this because I own a Mac.  I don't.  I've just been able to use one
quite a bit (Mac II) and think it beats the pants off my IIgs.  "In my
opinion" the only question that remains is one of price!

                                        Laer
lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (12/01/89)

If you were child you would likely be less impressed by a Mac+ (keep in mind
that school boards don't have the money to buy Mac II's) The small B&W screen
and garbage sound does not retain the child's interest for long. Once all of
the menus are pulled down it's off to other equipment. High schools and above
are going IBM since they are looking to prepare their students for the
machines they will likely use upon graduation, regardless of how bad they
suck. If Apple were to donate 10 Mac's to every school in the world it might
make an educational machine once the // software was ported until then the GS
is THE educational standard (ESA anyone?).