[comp.sys.apple] GSRam chips

ccastbs@prism.gatech.EDU (Shannon Bell) (11/23/89)

I have a GSRam with a meg on it. I would like to get a GSRam+ with
considerably more. I also have an Apple II Memory expansion card
(circa 1985) which is suitable for use in standard slots (not aux/memory).
My question: Will the chips from the GSRam work in the Memory Exp. card?
I know they are the same size (32K per chip), and that the memexp chips
won't work in the GSRam (too slow), but I can't find anything in the
included documentation for either that would tell me if they're compatible.
Does anyone know if this would work?

Shannon Bell
PO Box 36266   Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastbs
Internet: ccastbs@prism.gatech.edu

In article <3770@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastbs@prism.gatech.EDU (Shannon Bell) writes:
>I have a GSRam with a meg on it. I would like to get a GSRam+ with
>considerably more. I also have an Apple II Memory expansion card
>(circa 1985) which is suitable for use in standard slots (not aux/memory).
>My question: Will the chips from the GSRam work in the Memory Exp. card?
>I know they are the same size (32K per chip), and that the memexp chips

	The chips in the GS RAM are 256k * 1  (120 ns recommended, and
that's what all of mine are.. Mine's full).

	They aren't 32K per chip, unless the universe just inverted and you
can say that 256K*1 = 32*8.

--
unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (11/30/89)

In article <6009@lindy.Stanford.EDU> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>	They aren't 32K per chip, unless the universe just inverted and you
>can say that 256K*1 = 32*8.

Note that the chips are 256Kbitx1 (not byte).  So, if you take 256x1024/8, you
do indeed get 32K per chip.

And now, a question!

(Q)
The AE gsRAM manual I have seems to imply that one could plug in single chips
into the board with no problem...fact or fiction?

(A) ?
--
Dave Seah | O M N I D Y N E  S Y S T E M S - M |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu

shatara@memit.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (12/03/89)

>In article <6009@lindy.Stanford.EDU> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>>	They aren't 32K per chip, unless the universe just inverted and you
>>can say that 256K*1 = 32*8.
>
>Note that the chips are 256Kbitx1 (not byte).  So, if you take 256x1024/8, you
>do indeed get 32K per chip.
>

>The AE gsRAM manual I have seems to imply that one could plug in single chips
>into the board with no problem...fact or fiction?

FICTION!

256K Chips are organized as an array that's  1 bit Wide and 256K Bits long.
You need 8 BITS TO MAKE UP A BYTE.....hence 8 chip sets yield 256K BYTES.

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@memit.enet.dec.com |
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: memit::shatara             |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!memit!shatara   |