[comp.sys.apple] Posting of software

dawes@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Trevor Dawes) (11/28/89)

The discussion of the policies of Beagle Bros in their distribution of their software has raised a questtion which I've been encountering quite a bit lately. What are Apple's policies on the distribution of System software ?? I have heard that there is a fee, that there is no fee, just an agreement, and that one should not worry about where or how it's posted

Now I know there is at least an agreement involved and was wondering what exactly was required for a BBS to post Apple System software.

----
dogcow in disguise!

dawes@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Trevor Dawes) writes:
>The discussion of the policies of Beagle Bros in their distribution of their
> software has raised a questtion which I've been encountering quite a bit
> lately. What are Apple's policies on the distribution of System software ??
> I have heard that there is a fee, that there is no fee, just an agreement,
> and that one should not worry about where or how it's posted
>
>Now I know there is at least an agreement involved and was wondering what
>exactly was required for a BBS to post Apple System software.
>
>----
>dogcow in disguise!

[You might consider putting carriage returns at the end of every line when
you post a message; not every system does it for you and your entire message
wound up being two long lines.  For a terminal program with a horizontal
scroll bar, this could be a real headache.]

Apple's policies on "distribution" of System Software are dependent on whether
you want to get it or want to give it away.

In addition to stand-alone System Software packages which may be purchased,
Apple allows dealers to copy new System Software onto older System Software
disks (making allowances, natch, when the number of required disks increases).
Dealers are not *required* to do this, since they also have a stand-alone
package to sell, but they are certainly allowed to.  Some dealers do not copy
the software at all, others copy it without original disks for people they
know to be their customers (courtesy, I guess).

Other people are not legally allowed to give Apple's System Software away.
Electronic services that want to put it up for download have to license it
from Apple's Software Licensing dept. (a swell bunch of people, for the
record), just like developers have to license it to ship it with their
programs.  You can call (408) 996-1010 and ask for Software Licensing, and
they'll be happy to send you a package of information.  Certified Developers/
Apple Partners can also call the developer hotline to request such a packet.

Other than that, Apple reserves all rights to System Software distribution.
If you have a question on it, I'll bet Software Licensing could and would
answer it for you.  Paper mail works best, since software licensing is part
(necessarily) of Apple's Legal dept., and they like written records.
Conversely, I guess you could write them at SW.LICENSE@applelink.apple.com,
but please don't abuse the address.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
Amer. Online: Matt DTS                | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
ThisNet: mattd@apple.com              | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
ThatNet: (stuff)!ames!apple!mattd     | have any opinion on any subject."
Other mail by request only, please.   | "So there."